RayBass,
A few years ago, a Bro of mine and BobinNH's peeled a original 270 Featherweight away from me that quite frankly I was a little loathe to let go. Though it looked like it had been drug down a couple of miles of barbed wire fence, I could tell that it had been someones trusted rifle and that it had seen a lot of hunting camps from the honest carrying wear on it. When my bro finally got it away from me several years later he called me not long after he received it and said he was going to rebarrel it, I asked him "why?", "have you shot it yet?", he said "no" I said to him, "before you do that why don't you shoot it first,it shoots extremely well for me" so he did. Today it's sitting in a Banser pounder stock, still missing a fair amount of blueing and wearing the original barrel. Its lighter and trimmer and in my opinion balances better than it originally did, but its still frighteningly accurate. BobinNH has commented about it stellar subMOA abilities out to 300 and 400 yds here on the Fire.
IMHO, BSA and BobinNH are correct about not parting out a original Featherweight 270, If my heart was set on using a pre-64 action for a .270 build, I'd consider shopping for a well used standard weight 06' rifle that had seen many campfires. Its the same action and magazine follower. I see them ocassionaly in my neck of the woods, usually with a pad on the original stock in the $500-$650 range.I know where theres one now in a local shop that I think is going for around $625. Who knows, you might find one with a roached out barrel that you might get a great deal on. Which way you decide to go, either a new FN or a pre-64 build I hope it turns out well for you.
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member