"Hey diddle-diddle, right up the middle", to describe a direct frontal assault. Also used as a last-ditch maneuver in combat when all looks hopeless. Better to die in a frontal attack than trying to hide in a hole.

Being surrounded by the enemy could be described as a good thing: "We can attack in any direction, and the enemy can't get away from us".

A funny moment from boot camp: While drilling on the grinder, (practicing marching on the parade ground), I was the last man in the column. The boot-heels hitting the gravely pavement were very noisy, and made it difficult to hear the commands coming from the front end of the platoon.

On a "left face" command back into a column, that I couldn't hear, it took me half a second to see what everyone else was doing and copy the move. Unknown to me, a DI was very close behind me and he saw my hesitation, which, of course, looked sloppy.

In an instant he planted his boot hard in my lower back and gave a hard shove. I flew into the man in front of me, and the whole column, about a dozen guys, all went down like dominoes.

I still laugh, thinking what a sight that must have been.

Semper Fi.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra