Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
T---Perhaps it's YOU who should re-read the posts at the beginning of the thread. Paying particularly close attention to Cheyenne defendiing what should be condemned.

Uh, my post agreed with Mackay that it sounded like an inappropriate use of discretion. Unfortunately, there sometimes is a disconnect between what is legal/illegal and what is appropriate under the circumstances. The law should be in harmony with right and wrong, but sometimes it is not, because the law is a "one size fits all" codification. As long as the officer is acting within the bounds of the law, the penalty for an officer applying discretion inappropriately is disciplinary and/or administrative, not through civil redress by the "victim" or criminal action against the officer. If you read my body of work on this forum, you will see that I absolutely believe that officers must act within the bounds of law, and I don't mean stepping within a millimeter of the line, and I also believe that the judicious use of discretion is the hallmark of a good police officer. But, if someone says something is "illegal" and violative of rights because discretion is used inappropriately, s/he just doesn't understand the law.

Cheyenne---I agree with what you wrote above. I also have no reason to believe you are anything but a great cop and certainly didn't mean to infer otherwise. I was only addressing this quote from you as it pertained to hunter1960s question......

"For the people thinking it was an illegal arrest, think again. I suspect the well-intentioned neighbor's actions probably fall within some crime. It certainly wasn't a bright idea and easily could be viewed as reckless endangerment. Further, the fact that a person does not get convicted does not mean the police were wrong."

In any case I hope you have a good night and stay safe out there.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~