Originally Posted by dave7mm
Formidilosus
What would be your current favorite unit?

What would be your dream unit?

Say for out to 1000 yards

dave

Scope, rifle, or both?

Originally Posted by Jeffrey
So say someday my Mark 4 variable takes a dive, would I be wise in replacing it with the fixed 10x Mark 4?

That depends if a fixed power scope will meet your needs? To be sure the fixed power Mark 4's are more reliable. I would look towards another scope before running a fixed 10x scope again though. There are several variable scopes on the market that will be, and are as reliable as the MK4 10x40.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Formidilosus,

Thanks not just for your service but the excellent info you've provided on this thread. I've used a lot of various brands of scopes but not usually on the same sorts of rifles you have experience with.

One of the things I found interesting was your comments on fixed 6x Leupolds for your own hunting. What's your experience with higher-X fixed Leupolds?

I have a lot more experience with the 6's then any other, for good reason as you know, however, I have seen no issues with a couple of 8x's (or 7.5's?), the 10x's and a 12x or two. I do know that the bench rest crowd has "serious" problems with the fixed power competition models, but then again they will notice a tenth of an inch like it was a big pink elephant in the room. Of course you know this, but any fixed power scope is going to be more reliable and durable then a comparable variable all else being equal.