Ever see one? I read on the TPWD sight that" contrary to popular belief, their are no black mountain lions in Texas". So, the first time I made what must be a mistake was heading south a few years back between Hamilton and Lampassas. Big bloody mess road kill. Long black tail and round head with particular ears stood out to me sort of subconsciously. After several seconds both my wife and I sort of looked at each other and I asked her what she saw- she said looked like big cat and I said I thought same.

More recently on my lease near Moran, about 45 mile NE of Abilene. Driving slowly through the lease saw a big cat- remember the long flowing tail more than anything as it ran at modest speed angling right to left. I jumped out of the pickup with a 10/22 and ran where it went in time to hear a yelping howl of a dog or coyote getting nailed by it. Before that I showed a buddy paw prints the size of my outstretched hands. I followed those and saw them over print deer tracks. A son of a lease member came back panicked to camp one time years back saying it had walked under his bow stand. Another guy swears he hit it with a 22mag. The only other thing it could have been is a jaguarundi...which supposedly aren't that way - and arent' black either.

At my sisters place near Kerrville -a good bit south, there is an old sheep pen. I was hunting outside it early one day and smelled ...that death smell. Went in to the shed which is mostly open, and in a corner was a dead full grown deer. insides were removed. Doubting a dog did it and dragged it off. I saw where it had been killed outside the entry way. Did not see bot marks on nose or what was left of the ass - and we never hear coyotes out that way. There are foxes but.... told Dad a cat was the only thing that made sense to me.

So, I don't understand TPWD denying cats are in certain counties- and that there are no black ones. Anyone else? Jaguarundi interest me too.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius