Originally Posted by calikooknic
pira114
I have seen one wolf personaly, hunting partner two, in Tulare County, Kings Canyon basin. Fish and game won't admit it publicly. A sow brown bear has been spotted above California Hot Springs in the Portugese Pass area with cubs.
As to the big cats, We saw a very dark cat on a hillside one evening coming home, but it could be as others have said with the lighting, fifteen to twenty minutes before sundown?
I do know there are animals out there that "officials" denie.

I'm in Tuolumne county. For a while, they were trying to reintroduce brown bear into parts of this county. Right behind Yosemite. Don't for the life of me know why. Anyway, they claim none of it worked and stopped trying. Now they are trying hard NOT to answer questions about why people are starting to see brown bears in the high sierras. Same thing with wolves. I see their tracks very infrequently at around 7000 ft or better. Never lower, but then I ain't looking lower.

Speaking of which, it's that time of year. The black bears are getting adventurous in the quest for dinner. Starting to see sign around the house.

As for black cats, I've been reading a lot since this thread started. I wonder if mt. lions can have a recessive black fur trait??? Aside from mis-identifying the color at dawn or dusk, I think that could be a plausible explanation as to why they're seen occasionally, but not captured or killed.