Originally Posted by EDMHUNTER
I have been dreaming of hunting sheep one day but I am getting older and now I am thinking about hunting somthing else. It looks like Caribou Grizzly hunting would be easier and cheaper. Has anyone done both or tried to hunt sheep when he was a bit to old and had a hard time and wish he didn't?

I have been hunting 5 times in Alaska and being from Michigan it is always a dream to go there. I have been on two moose/caribou hunts there and we hired a bush pilot to take us out in a promising area and drop us off for 10 days. Went on a bear boat "ride" out of Whittier, ate and slept on the boat but unguided. Became friends on that hunt with a resident and went caribou hunting along the haul rd, aka Dalton Hwy with him one year. This past August I sprang for my first guided hunt and went Dall sheep hunting in the Talkeetna mountains. Trained pretty hard and was successful, only wished I had done it years ago. I am only 58 and in decent shape, but ten years ago would have been much easier.

Circumstances always dictate our decisions but I really want to hunt sheep again and grizz are high on my list also. Don't think a grizz hunt is much cheaper for us non residents but if you combine it with caribou it may be. Most of the time I believe sheep hunting is pretty much a single animal hunt.

Don't deprive your family and hunt as much as you can. We can't take it with us, as far as I know.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)