Originally Posted by EDMHUNTER
I just turned 49. I will need to save for several years. I do not have any physical problems but after reading all the post here it sounds like you need to be 18 and a top 5 marathon runner to enjoy your self. It looks like it will be every bit of $20,000 to go. I have never hunted Alaska but it is my dream. I do not want to spend the money to realize I can not do it or it is so difficult it will not be enjoyable. I will hunt Alaska as that is my true dream. Sheep is just one of the animals I would like to hunt but I am starting to think it is to late and it would be better to go to plan B.

EDM Hunter:

No, you don't need to be a marathon runner or a youngster to have a safe, enjoyable, comfortable and successful sheep hunt in Alaska. The majority of my sheep hunting clients are in their 50s and 60s and for the most part, are not in any type of "mountain shape".

And, keep in mind that you don't need to backpack for Dall sheep in Alaska, either. Granted, air access is certainly the way to go, but it's not necessary to backpack for trophy Dall sheep, even after "flying in". Frequently enough, my clients have actually killed rams right from the tent, which wasn't backpacked in. In fact, I don't offer backpack hunts, unless a client specifically requests something like that.

And in closing, you can still find quality hunts in Alaska at nominal cost. If you shop around, you should be able to find a sheep hunt whereas after you include the cost of airline travel and license/tag(s) fees and shipping cost and travel incidentals, that sets you back about $12,000.00 or less.

Maverick