Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Physical pain, training for nine months, and being cold and wet are not my idea of a good hunt. Especially if it costs $20,000. I would much rather hunt bear in Alaska, preferably from a boat or ATV. If sheep were the only Alaska choice, I would hunt plains game in Africa. I think some of those animals (kudu, gemsbok, zebra) are equally or more attractive than a sheep. If you're into a "difficult" hunt, don't shoot the first kudu you see, but look for a really good one.

Some responses to the points you bring up:

- I was in terrible physical condition when I started the preparations, i.e. one mile with a 30 pound pack on flat ground was a struggle. Training for 12 months actually improved my quality of life. Sheep hunting was the goal so that I trained hard knowing what the reward was and I was less likely to give up. It has paid dividends since the hunt as well. I'm not in as good of shape as after my hunt, but my weight remains down and I look back on it as the week that turned my health around.
- $20k is a high price. My hunt was much less but we also didn't use horses, etc.
- For me, anything hunted from a boat or ATV is not for me. As one person's signature reads 'I prefer to hunt with the quads God gave me'. To each his own, but I really believe that much is lost on a hunt when you aren't spending the day walking in the silence of nature (unless elk or moose hunting in the rut, of course, but that's a whole different story).
- For some reason Africa has never interested me for a hunt. I grew up reading O'Conner and sheep hunting. While Capstick was fun to read, plains game does not appear to have the type of adventure I prefer. I'd rather be in a tent and sleeping bag without snakes, etc. around than at a fully equipped lodge.

Sheep hunting is not for everyone, but if you've dreamed of doing it, it's the only thing that will scratch that itch.

Talent is what you're born with, skills are what you earn. - Rod Smith

Time flies, but remember, you are the pilot!