Originally Posted by JGray
I couldn't tell much difference in recoil shooting my No. 1 9.3x74 side by side with the No. 1 375 H&H. If anything, the 9.3x74 felt a little more "lively" due to the shorter barrel and lighter weight.

That's exactly what I was thinking. And the 9.3, while "lively", holds a somewhat weak candle to the #1-S in 45-70 when loaded to capable pressures IMO.

Originally Posted by lance1
Thank y�all for the warm welcome. But seriously, I appreciate everyone�s advice. As you can tell I�m not all that familiar with big bore calibers. I�ve always thought the #1 was a sweet rifle, so I thought why not get a caliber to take anything from a bear, boar, elk or deer. It seems to me that I need to do some studying. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They make a sweet #1A in .30-06 or .270 that is basically the same setup as the .375 - Alexander Henry forend, barrel band sling swivel and open sights - and those chamberings will do all that you asked and be a lot easier on you.

[Linked Image]

This kid...my kid- all of ten years old then- had no difficulty dispatching this bigger-than-elk moose by himself with none other than the #1-A with a 270 chamber. That isn't to dissuade you from the 375 version, but you probably do want to keep this fun. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.