Indy. Doing a fast reload on a Ruger Number One is not as difficult as you might think. Cartridge size is part of the program though, I can reload my #1 .375 H&H a lot faster than my .22 Hornet as the larger shells are a hell ofa lot easier to grab onto. I will admit it takes a bit of practice but a copuld pf minutes doing the motions slowly then gradually picking up speed and in less than 10 minutes you can be quite fast. There are several methods that work and by tryig each one you can find the system that works best for you. Some like the cartridges in loops on a belt holt with the shells space one shell, one empty loop, another shell, then empty and so on, the empty loop gving you the needed clearance to grab the next round. I like that one sometimes, depending on the situation.
Some like a wrist band with a couple of loops to hold the spare ammo. Never could get to thrilled on that one.
Mule Deer's shirt pocket is just a variation of the old African hunter's use of shell holding loops on his shirt.
The system that has worked the best for me is with one of thos shell holders that goes on the butt of the rifle. The belt holder works if you're basically shooting mostly off hand but becomes, at least for me, awkward as hell. The holder on the rifle's butt seems, at least so far the fastest method for me. Some people fashion a holder for a couple of rounds near the rear of the forend that holds a couple of rounds. I haven't tried that one yet.
Normally, whe I hunt with one of my Ruger #1 rifles, I use the butt cuff and the belt holder at the same time and they're used according to the situation.
I believe that a man who takes the time to practice just five or ten minutes a day with a couple of dummy rounds can easily stay up with the average man with bolt action on getting of a quick second shot if needed. I doubt though that he would ever get as fast as a target shooter with bolt gun in a rapid fire contest.
So, if given the chance, would I ever hunt something like a Cape Buffalo with my .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery or .416 Rigby Ruger Number Ones. Yes, I do believe I would. After all, a lot of African hunters used single loaders because they could not afford those pricey double rifles.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE