Hi everyone! Long time lurker but this is my first post!

I'm on board with the minimalist way of thinking. I picked up a used Cabela's Alaskan pack on Craigslist and I'm using the hell out of it! The frame is really solid and it carries pretty comfortable in my opinion (probably my condition is the limiting factor, not the pack).

I removed the meat shelf and the top hoop to save some weight (not sure about the meat shelf long-term) and the frame and suspension weighs 3 lbs, 14 oz. I'm thinking about ditching the Cabela's bag and putting my gear in a dry bag lashed to the frame this season. I got an Alice pack liner and some others I'm playing around with. I'm thinking about making a compression panel or maybe looking at a Hill People Gear daypack that can double as compression panel.

The setup is dirt cheap and really versatile. The frame is a direct knock-off of an external Camp Trails frame so I imagine you could use one of those - I see them cheap on Craigslist all the time. Better to rig up what you can afford than stay home saving up for the big brands!