Originally Posted by Mule Deer
rcmuglia,

In the article I specifically talk about the possilbe effect of thrown charges in long-range shooting. I believe the specific example I used was my 6.5-06, where I load 56 grains of H1000 with 140-grain bullets. If I weigh the charges, the rile will group three shots into something less than 1/2 MOA out to 600-700 yards.

If I threw them with my old measure (the one called Brand X) in the article) I'd get about a .5-grain variation, or even a little more. This would open up groups at least an inch at 600-700, mostly by vertical dispersion.

After using better powder measures in other loading for the past year or so, I'm now eager to try throwing loads for the 6.5-06 and seeing what happens. Have just about shot up my supply of loads put together with the old measure and will be doing that sometime soon--but in the article I certainly didn't suggest throwing loads for 1000-yard competition.

Thanks John. I haven't read the article as you can probably tell. I subscribe to Rifle Magazine. My comments were simply based upon my experience and the experience of some folks I know and shoot with.

I'm shooting games/hunting at ranges where precision in all facets is necessary and well beyond what 99.5% of recreational shooters and hunters need to do to enjoy rolling and shooting their own.

I have known that throwing charges is common in the benchrest game and we all know the kind of accuracy they get smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.