Originally Posted by Tanner
I've a few questions for you guys about a rifle I'm cobbling together.

1) What are you 243 A.I. guys using for dies? I'm looking at the 2 die Redding set (neck sizer and seater). Will I want to have a body die, or will touching the shoulders be completely unnecessary?

2) For those of you that have had 700 barrels punched out, are you having them set back to kiss lands from the mag? Looking at some 243 Win dummies with 105 A-Maxes, it seems that a 2.8" COAL leaves the base of the bullet right at the Neck/Shoulder junction.

As an alternative.

I punched an ADL 243 24 inch to 6mm-284. It fed better after the follower was switched out and replaced with a WSM follower. No need for set back.

The original magazine works well with the 284 round and bullets up to 95 gr ballistic tip are not seated too deeply.

So far accuracy (with this barrel)is disappointing. Definitely lethal on deer to 300 yds, but still not moa. Unfortunately I never fired the rifle with 243 ammo so I do not know if it might have been better in its original configuration.

Federal 6.5-284 brass is easy to find and necks down easily.

A Pacific two die set with a 25 cal neck die was purchased from a 'fire member.

My rifle makes 3300 fps w/ a 95 gr bal tip & H4831 or 3500 fps w/ the 85 gr Sierra spbt and RL17.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.