I hate getting in a pissing match on the web but it is easy to do it seems. From the start, I said I was just relating my experience with my pack which has been perfectly acceptable. I have never felt ill-fitted or uncomfortable under load with the ILBE. As I have described a couple of times I can get the pack close to my torso and the weight on the small of my back or at least into the lordotic curve of the lumbar spine. I've carried a lot of meat that way but not a lot of meat a lot of times, neophyte as I said. Nothing has changed my experience with the pack, It has been good.

With that said, Brad is spot on with his fit advice as far as I can tell. Below is a link from REI on how to fit a pack and the proper use of load lifters. I think I have been getting by so to speak by tightening down the shoulder straps and the load lifters I guess. I am going by the video here. From what I can tell the pack is short for me. I have not measured C7 to the transect of the iliac crests and still don't really know how to use that measurement but agree the pack is probably short.

Despite Brad's quick dismissal of my ignorance is bliss argument, there is a lot of truth there. I have been perfectly happy and comfortable with the ILBE. Now I wonder.... I may be damn near bullet proof if I get the perfect pack.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-adjusting-fit.html