Originally Posted by Brad
Load lifters really don't need to be at a 45* angle... in fact, though 30* is often cited as the shallowest angle that is ideal, I've found that even 20* works and is certainly better than nothing.

Load Lifters are designed for just that... pulling the load toward your center of gravity (where it carries most comfortably) while at the same time "lifting-up" the shoulder straps from the top of your shoulders so that your back and shoulders are not doing the work, but your hips and legs are...

My wife is a Nazi about load lifters and yanks them as tight as anyone I've ever seen... far more than me. This picture should give an idea. And BTW, she's 52 years old and can hike!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now I'm confused. I thought this was incorrect. In fact, I've given up a couple of packs thinking they were too large for my torso length because the straps elevated off my shoulders when the lifters were cinched down. And I've shortened an Eberlestock so the straps gently rested across my shoulders rather than being lifted off. I realize proper adjustment should take the pressure off the shoulders but the straps should actually be OFF the shoulders? Newbie question here, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com