I believe this - MY - act of stupidity will end the thread. . . .

I was 21 years old with about $2500 in savings. An antique arms dealer, Phil Kogler, had for sale a Holland & Holland Model Deluxe, the grade #2 in quality beneath the Royal Grade, double rifle in 450/400 BPE, asking $2000. Yes, this was a long time ago. I visited his office where he took the rifle from his vault. This was, I believe, an older former bank vault. I carefully examined the rifle that was in excellent-perfect condition. From H&H's records, the rifle had been built in 1904.

I told Phil I would think it over and let him know whether I wanted the rifle within 24 hours. Among things I investigated were ammunition availability, for I was interested in owning a "shooter." Ammunition, having been out of production for decades, was available on the collector's market at about $5.00 per round.

I called him the next day. Using the lack of ammunition as a factor, I managed to get him to reduce his price to - wait for it!! - $1300. I then passed on the rifle.

The last time I checked, a similar rifle was selling for six figures. . . . Oops.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell