Originally Posted by tjm10025

Sheridan:

Wasn't challenging you by any means, and I understand what you're saying. I only mention the Baby Ruths as part of the great collective story about stuff we see dogs eating.

BTW, and again I don't doubt you, but do you have personal knowledge of a dog eating dark or baking chocolate and dying as a result?

I'm thinking it must be unusual.

- Tom

there have been a number of scientific studies, not just anecdotal evidence....hell the LD50 rating is known not only for dogs but for cats and humans.....LD50 rating is how much is required to kill 50% of individuals/animals and is how they rate poisons and snake venoms and such.....actually cats are even more sensitive to it than dogs but because cats cant taste sweet they arent attracted to it and dont eat candy for the most part.....

how many homes actually have high quality baking chocolate laying around for a dog to get ahold of? damn few......how many house have chocolate candy laying around that has high amounts of cocoa butter but nearly no cocoa solids? most prolly.....this is why th e new myth that chocolate is harmless to dogs has come out.....50 or 100 years ago when families did 90% of their own cooking and bought alot less pre made stuff im guessing dogs died a hell of alot more cause it was more common for high quality baking chocolate to be in the average family pantry....

hell its known medically that the real high quality dark chocolate can cause problems in the elderly who arent in the best health if they eat alot of it.....

Animal Oral toxicity of Theobromine(mg/kg)
LD50
Cat 200
Dog 300
Human ~1,000
Mouse 837
Rat 1,265

Last edited by rattler; 05/22/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books