Originally Posted by Orion2000
[quote=tmitch]You guys are kiddin', right? ...

Uh, no... In this case it is about equality:

Left Handers = 10% of population
Mixed Handers = ~20%
ADA Severe disabilities = 12%
ADA Non-severe disabilities = 7%
LGBTQ = 5% to 6%

Numerically, Left handers are on par with the Severely disabled, and double the LGBTQ population. If you include Mixed Handers, people who switch hands based on the task (in the case of shooters, think cross eye dominant, blind in dominant eye, shoulder injury) the potential left hand population eclipses all ADA and LGBTQ populations combined. However, there is no legal requirement for "accommodation" of the left hand population.

Myself and 30 million other Americans were born left handed. We did not "choose" to be left handed. From a purely numerical stand point, there are much smaller populations of people who receive legal protection because they were "born that way" than left handers.

If I want a LH SS M70 in .30-06, why should I have to pay 2x to 3x the cost of the same rifle in RH configuration, just to put the bolt on the opposite side of the receiver ? We don't tell restaurant patrons in wheel chairs that they have to pay 2x or 3x the menu price to cover the cost of the wheel chair ramp out front. We don't tell restaurant patrons in wheelchairs that they can only choose 20% of the available menu options. But that is essentially what happens to Left Hand firearms owners year in and year out.

Am I going to run out and hire Johnny Cochran ? No. But, the fact that Left Handers are not a legally recognized "protected class" does not mean that there is not discrimination...

nsaqam, My apologies in advance for derailing your thread... blush

Citations:

Not sure those examples are analogous at all. Making left handed rifles available is not the same as allowing wheelchair access. Not sure one could successfully suit and force Remington to make more left handed rifles. I do everything LH and am Left Eye dominate. never really has bothered me it is just the way it is. I kind of find it fun searching for what I want or building what I want in a rifle.