Originally Posted by taz4570

Horse, isn't the DEF stored in a separate tank?

Yes, but, that tank is right up against the fuel tank and there is really no more room under there for more capacity. Fuel and DEF are both accessible through the fuel fill door. Big green cap for diesel, little blue cap for DEF.

FWIW, the long-box F250/350 has a 37.5 Gal fuel tank, that would be much better, especially if a guy is towing anything heavy, fast, or both.

If I had to drive a pickup as a daily driver and had a lot of in-town driving mixed in I don't believe I'd own any of the newer diesels. Start short-tripping them and/or not getting them up to proper operating temps and I think a guy starts to experience a myriad of nagging issues that stem from the choked down exhaust systems but blossom all over within the engine. When it's below freezing here letting the truck idle won't even move the temp gauge, gotta be driving it to bring it up to temp. With the truck outside overnight @ say 10F ambient, it takes 15-20 min of driving to bring the engine and trans up to normal operating temp. Park into a stiff wind @ that temp and idle and you can watch your engine temp gauge fall like a rock.

I really do like my pickup, but, the shortest run I make with mine regularly is to shoot skeet and that's ~15mi one way, more than enough time to get things up to temp, even enough to run through a DPF regen cycle. Other than that my trips are 50mi+ one way.

Last edited by horse1; 07/30/13.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.