The benefit with 270 is the diameter and weight of the bullet with the amount of powder to the size of our deer. It is all a balance to the size of game you are shooting. I had a 25-06 that did about the same thing on deer as the 270. I also shot a 7 mag which did not work as well on deer because it had too much. I shot many deer with the 7 mag and the bullet always passed through without much damage and the dead deer would run the same as a 308. The 270 just seems to penetrate and expend killing energy to drop the deer better. I have never lost a deer except once a long time ago but tracking them into the bush after dark is a pain.
The only deer I have lost is when I was in high school in the late 60s. A friend and I were in a 20 foot high stand on an old wind mill which had been converted to a great deer stand. My buddy knocked my gun over and I did not think anything of it. It must have fallen on the scope. I did not see it as it was still dark. I shot a deer later on that morning and ended up gut shooting the deer. We never did find it. The scopes now days are much better than what we had in the 60s. After the miss I went and shot paper except it was not hitting the target it was so far off.