I think Cummins isn't off base, just a different view really.

A lot of how well a round works these days is due to bullet advancement....

And if you are still shooting standard factory gun, factory trigger and 55s, 200 yards might seem to be it.

And there isn't a thing wrong with grabbing a 220 swift or 6mm for a long yote, but if what you have in the car is a do all AR loaded with something like 75s or such, and you have a scope that has dots or knobs... never seen a yote walk away from me at 300....

I'll even agree that 223 is not the ideal 300 yard deer round and especially not if I was trophy hunting, but I"ll also offer we watched another fellow competitor gal thats probably 60ish years old a few years back, whack a buck that was not small, and scored just under 170. 223 bolt gun. 69 SMK. HSM factory ammo. About 160 yards. SHot in the lungs, no shoulders. Bang flop. Granted it wasn't a 300 yard shot, but it was a fairly good sized deer that didn't move a step after the shot. And Ann has been heck on wheels shooting almost a half case of same ammo on pigs, javelina, deer etc... from close to over 300 yards since she also shot highpower with us, but she only shot out to 600, not to 1000 like some of us did.

Folks just have different views. And if I had a choice, Id probably not grab a 223 on a trophy hunt so to speak, but if offered a chance while not on a specific hunt, I'd not hesitate.

Heck if I still had a 22-250 or a swift, it would probably be the one on the porch for yotes since its flatter.... but don't have a fast twist one in the stable at the moment so the 223 that I'm SO familiar with, gets the nod and does just fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....