Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Thanks for your reasoned and in-depth reply. While I have current concerns about CC, it is truly my issues with the way the feds grow, morph, and metastasize, without fail, that has me most worried.

I grew up in a small town, not unlike yours. In fact, we occasionally played the Rangers. Small town public schools have historically been more like private schools, owned by the town. The results are, IMO, better. The more central planning gets involved with its "one size fits all" approach, including the "agenda du jour", thing go down hill. Educational ketchup gets to being a vegetable, so to speak. This includes the agenda of denial of varied capability.

What you are getting here is a lot of spin off of rightful mistrust of big govt., both in size, scope, and agenda. IMO, education, itself, will never be any better than the parenting that goes with it, but it can be worse. In many bigger places this has proven to be the case.

If I were czar of education, accountability, for all involved, starting with parents, would be very, very serious, indeed. ;-{>8

I agree with you wholeheartedly and appreciate the discussion from all who have posted. In order for me to be able to confidently defend my point of view to the public, I think that it's not only important to know the facts, but have answers for the misinformation that might exist. I also felt that if there were a group of people that could come up with legitimate reasons as to why CC should be done away with or how it was actually some heinous communist plot, it would be the guys here at the fire.