Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
My problem was the 4200s (and 3200s), went below 'safe' er lengths at the higher range. Could I adapt? Probably, but its not good for my teenager, training prone on a 308, to have to get bit OR climb up and down a stock with cheek pos, just to get er, when it varies over an inch, between power ranges. Note that we're talking 'advertised' er vs measured/real er. I think Bushnell inflates, a lot.

I think that the only Bushnell Elite that doesn't inflate their ER figures is the 3-9. A member here, who is an optical engineer, tested a 3-9 and he found that the ER was actually 3 1/2 inches instead of the standard 3.3 inches listed for all other Elites. I know that's not a lot, but he also said that he felt they also had a good "eye box" as well. In all honesty I think that the 2.5-10's would work fine on most anything of a non-magnum or fly weight rifle design. I did however recently buy a Leica ER 2.5-10 for my 300 WM for two reasons. One, I wanted to try one of these super euro's and two, I got a great deal on it.

I also agree with you completely about having your teenager starting off with what could be a very bad experience. I've gotten bit by a 1.75-6 Leupold when it was mounted on my slug gun and also when I mounted it on my Knight ML.