I've owned and shot them. Had a Chinese SVD when they first came out, then someone offered me way too much money and I parted with it; wish I still had it. If I had one today, I'd NEVER let it go.

But these days a real Russian SVD goes anywhere from 6-10 thousand dollars, and the Chinese ones are 4-6 thousand. They're cool, but they're collector�s items, big time.

The SVD is actually an excellent weapon for its intended purpose. The Russian/Soviet infantry squad was very different from a US infantry squad (but not anymore). In an infantry squad you'll have 6-8 guys with AK's, two guys with RPK's or RPD's, and two guys with SVD's. The "sniper" in a Russian unit is really a designated marksman by our standards. Actually, the US finally caught onto the concept when the wars in the Middle East got going. The Russians had a lot of things right and the mix of weapons in a squad was one of them. These days a US unit packs a load-out quite similar, just much better quality. The Marines have even ordered up a magazine fed Squad Auto version of the M16, think of it as an M16 version of the RPK. We�re just copying what the Russians got quite right.

So given its mission in the Russian infantry unit, the SVD performs very well.

The SVD is strongly disliked by Westerners because it�s 100% Russian and reflects their thoughts on infantry weapons, not ours. Don�t confuse that to think it doesn�t do its job well. They are sufficiently accurate to make kills at 700m (which is a long shot for a DMR), and they�re extremely reliable. During the Afghanistan war Soviet �snipers� made shots out to 1,000m quite often, but that�s honestly pushing the design and intent of the weapon a little beyond. Balance is odd by western standards, they�re very muzzle heavy. Ergonomics are adequate but that�s about all you can say. The optics are low powered and lack the clarity of western optics, but they are supremely durable (made of magnesium) and the SVD reticle is very slick when you get used to it; perfect for its intended purpose. It�s very quick for range finding and getting onto target. From 100-600m you typically don�t even have to adjust a turret. Just figure your range, and hold on the proper stadia line�it�s very quick. Once I got used to the SVD scope, I came to really like the system.

The SVD only holds 10 rounds and there are not any larger magazines (that I�m aware of). So if you found yourself in a closer firefight, you�d be at a distinct disadvantage. But again, it�s the mindset that the man with the SVD will be supported by a squad, not alone. Russians have more traditional �hunt and kill� snipers, but they use a bolt action, not the SVD. My SVD was a 3.5 MOA weapon all day long with Russian �special long range� ammunition (I believe it was a 180 grain bullet vs. the normal 150).

The SVD is NOT an AK derivative, it�s a completely different rifle despite the visual similarities. It has far more in common with an SKS than the AK. It uses a fully machined receiver and a gas system that�s multi-piece and rather unique. IIRC the trigger mechanism is a copy of the SKS.

Then there�s the Romanian PSL. Despite the similarity in looks to the SVD, it�s a completely different rifle. Literally the only parts that would interchange are the scope and the sling. The PSL is basically an over-sized, beefed up and accurized AK. The rifle is based on an RPK 1.5mm thick stamped receiver, and everything else is straight up AK. Accuracy is typically 4MOA which is sufficient for 600m hits consistently. The PSL�s are supremely reliable and sufficiently accurate for their intended purpose. Again it�s a DMR, not a �sniper� rifle. The butt stocks on the PSL�s are WAAAY too short, I don�t know who they were designed for, but a smallish Chinese guy would find them slightly awkward; but there are other options in that department. The great thing about the PSL�s was the cost, but they are going up in cost pretty quick. Nowadays you can often find a surplus parts DSA built FAL for less than you can buy a PSL and the FAL is a better rifle in every conceivable manner.

Typically you find SVD�s in service with Eastern European former Warsaw Pact nations, and you find PSL�s all over the 3rd world. Pretty much anywhere you find armed conflict, you�ll find a PSL�Africa is thick with them.