Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Within the parameters as set, I would firmly be in the AR15 camp.

If caliber/weight concerned me much (double duty hunting) I would look at a 6.8 variant and at reasonable ranges I wouldn't feel undergunned running a 300BO with a good quality 110-130gr bullet.

If distances dictate more power I have bolt guns for that and plenty of time to transition to the carbine if ranges shorten.

Good points, all.

Since I am not going to be running or jumping anywhere, maybe a heavy and somewhat longer barreled AR that can double as a rodent blaster, a better compromise. Fast twist of course so as to be able to use the heavier slugs on large, determined targets.

I am not a signee to any PACT, Warsaw or otherwise so no reason a box of magazines could not be stashed away filled with ammo sporting a 69-75gr expanding bullets.

As well, while I dig the cool factor of some of the big 30 cal battle rifles, I as a citizen only trying to keep my home and family safe am not going to be engaging anything or anybody 500 meters or yards out. Only immediate threats. As I think this whole thing through (thanks to all who have offered thier thoughts and experience) a pair of AR's, one heavy and one light, might make the most sense. Commonality of magazines, parts, ammo etc. ain't a bad thing even of my "squad" is only two people or a couple more (son, daughters etc).

Cool factor at the range and to folks coming over to see some toys ain't gonna be of any help if we ever really DO come to the real, true SHTF circumstance.

I, too have bolt guns that can take a vehicle out of service in most cases.

Once again, Lord may we never actually see and live such days. May there be at least one more great revival or awakening of our Nation to you and your principles as well as to a constitutional republic. Send us men and women, and help us elect them, who will help us return to these things. And perhaps another Billy Graham or DL Moody to help spark a spiritual awakening once again. Amen.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500