Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by 4ager
Safariman,

What do you actually want a rifle to do, as you're contemplating all manner of different platforms?

Fair question.

I am deciding if the CETME in my safe is the best thing to have on hand for the SHTF day we all hope never comes. It would be a plus if the rifle was fun to shoot and thusly often went with me on shooting days for practice.

At my age and current condition I am not going to be running or jumping much of anywhere so weight is a non factor so long as I can swing a second rifle light enough for my petite frame wife to use and shoot. So, I guess this search is for a stationary use rifle for keeping groups of bad folks away from my pretty wife and food/water/medicine supplies. The low liklihood of this kind of mess happening in my remaining lifetime means that if a rifle is accurate enough and has a trigger decent enough for a little hunting or coyote calling, so much the better.

With just a little bit of shooting, I have come to the conclusion others have mentioned in my other thread that my short barreled CETME is a bit too loud, and loses a bunch of the 7.62x51's velocity and power advantage with its too short barrel. As it sits, it is more of a really heavy and very loud 300 Savage. Not all that bad, but better is out there.

A Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, about 8-9 ten round magazines, and a trip to Randy Cain's Practical Rifle Course, if you're physically up to it, would be my Rx.

Randy's favorite "practical" rifle is a Win model 70 Compact in 308 with a 1-4x Leupold. Put a Ching Sling on it and learn to run it hard and fast.

An FR-8 Mauser, if you find one, and if the barrel isn't shot out of it, with a scout scope mount from XS, and a bunch of 762 stripper clips would do nicely, but they're getting hard to find.