Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by rattler
i do believe in a higher power....

but on taking individuals experiences as proof....problem is people can experience stuff that is very real to them but is not there.....good example is hallucinations.....i have a bad habit of doing so when i get a high fever.....at the time it is VERY phuggin real to me though after the fever is gone i realize what i went through or more usually am aware at that time what i am experiencing is not real....also went through auditory hallucinations real bad coming off a medication....

so knowing this even believing in a higher power it cant help but make one sit back and think and ask if another's experience is real or a trick of the mind....course thats why they call it faith, may never have a real answer....

One person's experience, even if it results in a total transformation of that person, is not much evidence of a higher power.

But millions of sobered up alcoholics who ALL credit their sobriety to a VERY REAL Higher Power make a pretty convincing case.

Not really.

Considering how the average person who successfully recover from alcoholism relapses times before they succeed in giving up the bottle, alcoholism probably kills more then ever recover from it. If anything is evidence against the effectiveness of an alleged higher power in this process. God has nothing to do with it. People give up the bottle when they are ready to, and not a moment before.

If a guy has a heart attack and fails to follow his Doctor's suggested program for avoiding another one, is the Doctor at fault? Does it prove that Doctors are ineffective against heart problems?

This is a quote from THE authoritative book on alcoholism:

"Those who do not recover are people who cannot, or will not, completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves."

It's really very simple.... those who follow this simple spiritual program recover.

It's the 28 day "treatment centers" that account for the relapses.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place