Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
None of it was written down at all until about the year 600, six centuries after this Jesus guy was alleged to have been around and many more centuries after the earliest tales it contains. Y

Just on Logic it strikes me: Does that perforce make it wrong?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Argue all you want. Quote any man-written set of myths you like. You still have done nothing more than create a god in your own image, according to your own preferences. You're exactly the same as Og.

I'll say this: if there is a god who controls every last atom and every last thing that happens, he is one sadistic, cynical, capricious, and fickle S.O.B. He murders, cripples, starves, and tortures millions of us every day. Loving god my ass.

It is a battle against the good and evil....darn right there will be millions of casualties.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
People believe what they want to believe.

Muslims
Liberals, and
Scripture-quoters.

Same logic.

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The existence of god and religion are two different concepts. One can exist without the other, but not the reverse.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Seems like on the fire,
DoG only exists
To serve white baptists

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by shaman
I've known a lot of atheists over the years. I'd say that there may be an innate sense of the Divine, but there are a lot of folks out there who are suffering from acute spiritual constipation, divine tone-deafness, and aggravated color-blindness to the Almighty.

I have read stories of the stress of survival of native Americans before being appraised of the good news who supposedly prayed to the great spirit for sustinance over the winter.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/15/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
If there were not an innate knowledge of a supreme being, how would every major society and civilization on earth have come up with some idea of a future and hereafter.

Many would say because the Hindus and Chinese and other societies had different objects of worship that would prove there was no God.

I would say each society had innate feelings there was a supreme being. Not having the Written Word of the Good News they tried their best to try and connect with this supreme being in their own way by trying to figure out the truth in their on sesrching manner, from worshipping the sun or moon or cows or golden idols.

After Jesus brought the good news the truth was revealed. Unfortunately many societies over the world had built their god in their own way and were more comfortable with their choice.

The sun and star worshippers bit the dust but the cow, pope and moon worshipping muzzies are still hard at it.

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Jag, It is accepted fact that any society eventually invents gods of some nature. The mechanics of such have been discussed.

But just because men invent gods, by no means can be considered proof that God invented man.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Ever since Og, people have witnessed things that they could not explain. Mankind seems to be hardwired to explain things, and so to create an explanation, they created gods and other invisible forces. Belief in gods and the religions to contact those gods has been passed down generation to generation ever since.

But no two gods and no two religions are alike - many of them in fact being polar opposite - and yet every believer swears his religion and his god are the only correct ones. It's insanity.

Man created gods, not the other way around.

It was man searching for a truth they new existed in the dark before the truth was brought to mankind by Jesus Christ.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Learning about god is like learning about Santa. Santa knows when you've been bad or good, brings us gifts, is seemingly immortal, performs miracles, and is taught to children as real. Sounds a whole lot like god, eh? Santa is a construct, a manufactured entity in whom some people believe deeply because their parents told them to believe in him. So is god.

Your Bible is a well-written book, for sure. But it is nothing more than a collection of oral stories and myths - and not a complete one at that because large parts of it were voted out by church rulers. None of it was written down at all until about the year 600, six centuries after this Jesus guy was alleged to have been around and many more centuries after the earliest tales it contains. You know how oral stories change and get embellished when they are retold over and over? That's true of biblical stories, too. Then it was imperfectly translated into language after language, revised, edited, and issued in several versions. Every word literally true? Ha! Use the Bible to prove the truth of god and then use "it's the word of god" to prove the truth of the Bible? That's the worst kind of circular logic.

tikkanut, my friend, I'd be delighted to share a beer and our Utah scenery with you any time. However, we can't say it's there because of a god. It's there - and that's all we can say.

Rocky, my friend, there is a good deal here that is just in error.

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Ever since Og, people have witnessed things that they could not explain. Mankind seems to be hardwired to explain things, and so to create an explanation, they created gods and other invisible forces. Belief in gods and the religions to contact those gods has been passed down generation to generation ever since.

But no two gods and no two religions are alike - many of them in fact being polar opposite - and yet every believer swears his religion and his god are the only correct ones. It's insanity.

Yes, that is the way I see it.

Man is curious by nature, and very imaginative. Old Og was sitting outside the cave by the campfire with all his little oglets when one of them asked about all the pretty lights in the sky. And Old Og made up a story, because just like any modern man, he did not wish to admit he did not know.

The story grew over time, and some men learned they could use the story to control other men, gain access to the loins of the prettiest maidens, and extort money and food from the populace. And the priesthood was born.

As to the dissertation in the link, it is a bunch of gobbledygook. Nonsense disguised as scientific extrapolation. One might well be stupider from having read it.

Man is not curious by nature. Man was given a mind by God. Animals dont have it. Men searched from whence it came, just as you do when you come home from work and there is an unexpected package left on your porch by UPS.

You dont know what you got but you know you got something and you know you got it from somewhere. wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/15/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I rarely comment on these type post but he we go. I believe in God because I have had an experience and a man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument. I'm not gonna be a ass to a man that doesn't believe because he hasn't had the same experience as me. Hard to convince someone who has been healed in the name of Jesus that there is no God. That being said I'm not a church goer on a regular basis, I believe the church needs to look at it's self it's either so corrupt it's sickening or its so legalistic they forgot about mercy grace and love, crossing all their religious T's and dotting all their religious I's but treating their neighbors like [bleep].

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I would say each society had innate feelings there was a supreme being. Not having the Written Word of the Good News they tried their best to try and connect with this supreme being in their own way by trying to figure out the truth in their on sesrching manner, from worshipping the sun or moon or cows or golden idols.

Jag, This is attempting to justify a preconceived belief.

Primitive societies, and even a lot of members of not so primitive societies look for answers to the mysteries of the universe.

When the science is not yet available to answer their questions, people invent imaginative myths.

The Mayans, the Incas, the Aztec, the Greeks, the Romans, the Persians, the Druids, the various Pacific Islanders, the Mongels, the Far East Islanders, the Hebrews, etc, etc, etc, all invented various mythologies to explain the mysteries around them. Some of those mythologies proved to be somewhat malignant to their practitioners and have pretty much fallen by the wayside.

Some of those mythologies have actually proven beneficial toward enforcing healthy practices in the tribe and very good at enriching the priesthood. Those myths have become particularly enduring.

Does any person ever have any knowledge of any myth without learning it from parents and peers? I believe absolutely not!

But the only way to know would be the "forbidden experiment". One would have to somehow isolate a group of babies and have them mature in a fully feral state to find out. First: how would one keep them alive until they could feed themselves without contaminating their environment? And second: Who in their right mind would sacrifice an innocent child to such an existence? and third: how could anyone communicate with them after they grew up?

I believe any knowledge of any god comes only from education. You apparently believe otherwise. Since there is absolutely no way to gather empirical evidence to support either belief, the only way to find out would be to die.

I am comfortable in my belief that even that will answer no questions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Michael Savage said our faith in God is what separates us from animals..

Do dogs go to heaven?...ie; can they get their without faith and receiving Holy Spirit ?

Some say a place where they spend eternity with relatives . but not their dog, sounds a lot more
like hell than heaven.. grin

Man is not curious by nature. Man was given a mind by God. Animals dont have it.

Dogs dream, and dreams are a subconscious function of the mind...From that one would gather
that anything with a subconscious mind also has a conscious mind.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Man is not curious by nature. Man was given a mind by God. Animals dont have it. Men searched from whence it came, just as you do when you come home from work and there is an unexpected package left on your porch by UPS.

You dont know what you got but you know you got something and you know you got it from somewhere. wink

I think this comment is obviously contradictory. Why is man searching, except that he is curious by nature. But that is a minor point of little importance in this discussion.

I would ask though, when did God give Man this wonderful thing we refer to as a mind?

Did Homo Erectus have such a mind? Cro Magnon man? Neanderthal? The earliest Homo Sapiens? How about Homo Sapien/Neanderthal 50/50 hybrids?

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by mogwai
Seems like on the fire,
DoG only exists
To serve white baptists

Their hypocrisy is infinite.

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mankind seems to be hardwired to explain things, and so to create an explanation,
they created gods and other invisible forces. ....

..Man created gods,

Man is rather creative in his imagination be it due to desperation, boredem, subterfuge, etc

just look at how Gods multiplied and evolved over millennia.

it went from local Gods in our earthly global sphere physical world, to Gods in the outer distant heavenly bodies
and then beyond.

Terms used in Greek pagan mythology we can find used in Bible..why would a monotheistic God find need to do that..?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nighthawk
None of it was written down at all until about the year 600, six centuries after this Jesus guy was alleged to have been around and many more centuries after the earliest tales it contains. Y

Just on Logic it strikes me: Does that perforce make it wrong?

Pure nonsense. Most of the NT writers were contemporaries of Jesus, whether they met him face to face or not. The last book written, Revelation, is believed to have been written by 95AD. There are a few books where the author is unknown but the writings were completed by the end of the 1st century. The Bible wasn't assembled in it's current form for another couple hundred years, but that's irrelevant to when it was actually written.

For comparison, consider Plato's Republic. Very few will debate its authenticity but the earliest copy known is dated 1300 years after Plato wrote it. There are only 7 know copies of it. By contrast, every book of the Bible has thousands of copies, many dated within a few years of the original. When copies are compared, there is almost no difference in them. There have been translation errors, but most modern versions are translated from the earliest Greek manuscripts available. Some versions of the Bible are translations of translations but the most popular versions were translated directly from the Greek. There have been a few cases where scribes who copied manuscripts made notes of their own in the margins and they got picked up in error by translators. They have been eliminated as they're discovered.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Man, you and me sure are smart, RC.

Great post and thanks for it.

I Dindo Nuffin
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by xxclaro

I'd find it hard to argue with this.

Why? Because you feel the same way?

I agree it would likely be futile.

People are very hard pressed to change their minds about things they believe they have a superior opinion about.

Consider lieberals and conservatives. God or godless is even thinner ice.

Because it's quite logical. We can now explain a lot of things that used to be attributed to God, like thunder,lightning, earthquakes etc. It stands to reason then that there are probably still many things we can't yet explain that perhaps one day we will, but right now many would still say it's an act of God.

That said, do I believe in God? Yes, I do. Is it innate? I don't know, I was raised to believe in God so my views on it will be biased. I think that whatever ideas I have on God are probably pretty heavily flawed, but I think the same could be said for everyone. I'm not here to argue or try to change minds, it's just a topic I have always found very interesting but very hard to have a conversation about because the vast majority of people either have their belief set and will not consider anything else, or don't believe at all and therefore don't deem it worthy of discussion.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.