Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I read a thread on another forum where the OP put forth the idea that deer and elk populations in Montana won’t be able to recover from the increasing wolf population.

The thread had a lot of first hand accounts of the devastation viewed at kill sites of wild game, as well as cattle becoming a targeted food source while grazing abroad.

What’s really going on with the federal government and Fish & Game in areas they have been released?
From the sounds of it, other states like Oregon that did a wolf release, have already experienced devastating game animal reductions. In Oregon within 3 years of introduction some of our most sought after hunting units near the Idaho borders for deer and elk have been hurt really bad.

This is no doubt an emotional topic...I’m a pretty active and vocal member for hunting and fishing in my state and local coastal area. And I know from experience, challenging the Fed’s and ODF&G on their intentions to make changes that we as hunters/fishermen know will result in colossal failure, are met with “Thank you for your input and concerns” Then they go ahead and do exactly what they wanted to do.

What’s going on in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Utah? Is the Western States big game hunting about to become ruined?

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beaver I was just talking to a friend that hunted the Northside unit over east for elk with a large party. He said there were no elk in the unit, period. The entire party left four days before season end. He found 8 elk bone piles. I've been hunting my whole life and I would say I average a deer or elk bone pile one a year. One in their party saw a wolf.

I think this will be increasingly common in Oregon. Why we put up with this incompetent (at best) or under-handedly deceptive (most likely) wildlife management agency in Oregon is a mystery.

LOL
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rifle, wolf, shovel..... Doesn't really seem this complicated

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It can be very bad. We are going through our own wolf problems where I am at. It really changes things.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Beaver,

To be clear, I wish their were no wolves in Idaho....none.

Having said that, the area we hunt is supposedly overrun with wolves too...and we went 4/4 in an OTC unit on bulls again this year. Second year in a row we’ve done so I’ll add.

Cougars take more game than wolves in Idaho, and no one ever even mentions them. Emotions play a huge role in all of this imho.

Your welcome to disagree with everything I’ve said of course.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The wolves have eaten up ALL the big game in Montana. There's no reason for any non-residents to spend the exorbitant money we charge for licences.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The wolves have eaten up ALL the big game in Montana. There's no reason for any non-residents to spend the exorbitant money we charge for licences.

I understand they have also killed and eaten all the children.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 11/15/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I was taught that it was shoot shovel and shut up.....and it works when enough folks engage in it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dave, no disagreement since I really don’t know. Wolves haven’t hit my hunting grounds, yet...Our Coug population has skyrocketed from essentially none to a thriving head count in the last 25 years since no use of dogs was made a law. But, I haven’t noticed a decrease on the game from cougars. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Beaver I was just talking to a friend that hunted the Northside unit over east for elk with a large party. He said there were no elk in the unit, period. The entire party left four days before season end. He found 8 elk bone piles. I've been hunting my whole life and I would say I average a deer or elk bone pile one a year. One in their party saw a wolf.

I think this will be increasingly common in Oregon. Why we put up with this incompetent (at best) or under-handedly deceptive (most likely) wildlife management agency in Oregon is a mystery.

This I have also heard from personal friends who’ve pulled tags several times over the years in these units. They have all said the game animals are gone by comparison to years past...This is part of the reason I’m asking for information. 😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No you tell us after the fact. shocked

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The last 20 years have been bad. But there is a balance beginning to happen. Wolves were introduced into a buffet of elk here, where some of the best elk hunting in the world used to be. The wolf population swelled due to unlimited food source. It didn’t take long to eat 13,000 elk, only a few years really. When there was no food source left, the wolves starved and killed each other over territory. Today packs are smaller and more spread out here. I have not seen any wolf sign this hunting season when normally I would not be able to avoid it. There are more elk than I have seen in past years, and 6 bulls were killed in Taylor Fork opening week.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Too late...😎

“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My 2 brothers and nephew hunted the Snake River unit, They seen wolves. My nephew killed a 7x6 bull

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Better in theory than reality... it aint that easy

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have seen a marked decrease in our deer population here in the last 10-15 years. Where we would see 100 deer in one 15 acre alfalfa field at night, we see maybe 12. Elk down by half.
Now as to the reason. I see wolf sign on the place daily. I have also found cougar kills caches numbering in the dozens in the reprod around my place. I have grail cam pics of female cats with triplets full grown. They are eating good.
I would blame all three major predators for the decline
Have seen many unweaned fawns in the back of a pickup. And their does laying on top.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beav,

I used to hunt North East of Slough creek , ground zero for the initial wolf reintroduction... well it didn't take long to make elk hunting not worth the effort there. The N. Yellowstone herd went from 20k plus to estimated 4k today.

I spent a couple of days in that part of the park this summer and didn't see an elk the entire time, not counting the lawn elk in Mammoth,

Back in the day the I delivered supplies to dude ranches surrounding Yellowstone and they told me in private the elk were almost gone.

The biggest impact has been on the moose population... wasn't uncommon to see a moose in every drainage... they are few and far between these days.

Just up the road from me a drainage was said to have the densest moose population in the state... I hunt it often and haven't seen a moose yet.

Every year the F&G does a hunter survey and the first thing they ask me is did you spot any moose, second question did you spot a wolf?

We used to be able to shoot several whitetail in my area, now only one, a buck. I have spent 5 days hunting around home and seen a handful of whitetail does and one mule deer, zero elk, no elk tracks or droppings either.

The elk and deer seemed to have moved into the valleys close to people, the hills are practically bare.

This summer I have seen seven bears and one lion, the most ever.... had a pack of wolves in the yard the other day, my dog howls and barks ... when she howled the wolves lit up.. it was eery....

A few years ago I hunted 24 days total including several nights back packing in and saw two cow elk the entire season.

Last year I hunted 30 miles back in the Bob Marshall, traveled 10 to 20 miles a day by horse and saw 1 elk 1 Mt.goat, 1 grizzly, 1 mule deer and a handful of whitetails in 7 days.

The people I talk to that used to kill elk every year can't seem to find them , the old spots don't hold elk anymore.

If you pull up the F&G map of wolf packs my locale is loaded with them..... last year I located an elk herd put them to bed for the night and returned at first light... no elk, wolf tracks everywhere in the fresh snow.

Wolves are just part of the decline... bears , lions etc.. are at all time highs. Also rich libs buying ranches and not allowing hunting has created "safe spaces" for elk herds....

In the recent past if I posted such things I would get ridicules as being a lousy hunter.... I was a better hunter before wolves arrived... wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'm about sick and tired of our ODFW myself!!!! We have wolves up here now too. That's north central near the gorge. ODFW has their heads so far up their azzes that their teeth are brown...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by vapodog

I was taught that it was shoot shovel and shut up.....and it works when enough folks engage in it.

The shut-up part is the hardest for most.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
The last 20 years have been bad. But there is a balance beginning to happen. Wolves were introduced into a buffet of elk here, where some of the best elk hunting in the world used to be. The wolf population swelled due to unlimited food source. It didn’t take long to eat 13,000 elk, only a few years really. When there was no food source left, the wolves starved and killed each other over territory. Today packs are smaller and more spread out here. I have not seen any wolf sign this hunting season when normally I would not be able to avoid it. There are more elk than I have seen in past years, and 6 bulls were killed in Taylor Fork opening week.

I have noticed much the same progression here in NW Wyoming also, and the elk that have adapted seem like hardier survivors, and some really nice bulls are showing up on the meat poles and in the panniers.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fubar,
Oh, I believe you...And, I believe what your are seeing and “not seeing” anymore is a result of an abundance of predatory animals in your hunting grounds.

It’s documented, wolves, cougars, bears will reduce large numbers of game animals in short order.

I’m curious what the timetable would look like for game animal recovery? In a natural ecosystem area, predators will leave after killing off the game. How many years would it take to reach quality game population numbers?

Timbermaster’s post was terrifying! 13,000 elk gone.

Yes, I read that old thread where some said you must suck at hunting...I just laughed. You can’t slay what’s not there.

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10

This I have also heard from personal friends who’ve pulled tags several times over the years in these units. They have all said the game animals are gone by comparison to years past...This is part of the reason I’m asking for information. 😎

FB2 & Beav,

I've hunted that area the past two years and had no trouble finding elk, but don't know how it compares to years past. Lots of people, though.

I talked to a guy this year who swears there's wolves in the area. Never seen one myself, but have seen and heard a lot of coyotes. Saw one especially big one this year, carrying a chunk of elk hide from a hunter kill. For a second, I thought it was a wolf.

Jason

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wolf: primary excuse of lazy, crappy hunters.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4th_point

FB2 & Beav,

I've hunted that area the past two years and had no trouble finding elk, but don't know how it compares to years past. Lots of people, though.

I talked to a guy this year who swears there's wolves in the area. Never seen one myself, but have seen and heard a lot of coyotes. Saw one especially big one this year, carrying a chunk of elk hide from a hunter kill. For a second, I thought it was a wolf.

Jason

4th point,

My friend is about 60 and has hunted there for many years, as tags allow. They are accustomed to finding the elk, but this year the entire party had no luck. They did find lots of bones.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

I don’t consider Fred3 a lazy, crappy hunter nor anyone in his family. 😎

“Molon Labe”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wolf study video how it affects the cattle pretty interesting.

https://youtu.be/ZdEufIke4XE

Last edited by kk alaska; 11/15/19.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wolves have had a devastating effect on all game populations here, I was hunting a favored mule deer area I like and everyday I found at least 1 kill site, not too many bones left, just hair of moose and Mule deer. We would see several 4 point bucks everyday before the wolves took over, after that your lucky to see any good bucks around at all.

Cougars, if you only kill the Toms then you really haven't done anything to help the problem as the Toms take out other cougars that are competition to them. Female Cougars and female Bears need to be taken out if you want to help out ungulates.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The unit I hunt in has a 4% hunters success rate. I guess there are a whole lot of "lazy, crappy hunters" where I hunt. 96 out of 100 guys are lazy fu cks I guess...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can not attest to it visually at present having not ventured West in three years. When I was last in Darby MT it was terrible.

I follow the issue very closely as I see such as a direct action stance against not only the hunting culture but against the 2nd amendment as the long game. From what I have seen the Wolf introduction is nothing more than the anti hunter organizations and USFW involved at upper levels in a money laundering scheme while crushing traditional wild game hunting culture and economics. The same is going on in other countries.

Here in the SE where I usually reside we are faced with a radical group that wants to introduce the Western Mountain Lion into our Eastern Forest lands.

There is a group on Face book called Oregon Wolf Education that follows the issue closely not only in our nation but in other countries faced with the same issues. Check it out they get it and present lots of evidence as to who the players are. For instance a NY politician is one of the biggest pushers of wolf introduction in the Western areas where they don't currently exist.

In essence the scheme is to spend the money to stock them, develop paid stewardship partners, research them, protect them and support them whilst wild game is decimated to such a point that citizen protest creates enough upheaval to then grant more money spent to eradicate or properly manage and then repeat.

There is currently a bill on the docket for wolf introduction currently in Colorado.

BTW per the newer Idaho research wolves kill only slightly less Elk than cougars. That study has been used as a blanket and certainly doesn't cover states with wolves where cougar density is low.

Good watch attached below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmWNvpQ1lXY&t=6s

Last edited by Strick9; 11/15/19.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Originally Posted by OregonCoot

I understand they have also killed and eaten all the children.

Next up--start training wolves to eat yuppies.....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
BuzzH will be along shortly....😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
All this wolf/cougar/bear talk - why don't people hunt them instead of applyingfor all the elk/deer/moose etc. etc. ?
Who on here is a trapper ? Moreless nobody ..

There are so few deer around here i don't try and hunt them - wouldn't shoot one if it walked out and stood in front of me .
But i set dozens of snares and have caught about 15-16 coyotes in the past 3 years . Plus i shoot them over bait when i or another lease member kills a hog - have killed a few that way .
Between killing every coyote i can and killing every coon-possum-skunk i see more deer and turkeys now .
Put some effort towards removing predators - give trapping a go even if it's only a week or two checking before and after work . It gets you outdoors a lot .
I'm starting in a few days - it finally cooled off here .

And stop mentioning the shovel - that's way too much work .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The unit I hunt in has a 4% hunters success rate. I guess there are a whole lot of "lazy, crappy hunters" where I hunt. 96 out of 100 guys are lazy fu cks I guess...

So you have wolves in Oregon to the point they’re affecting entire game populations, all within three years?

I’m all ears...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Strict9 ,

Yes you're corect - i've followed the programs and people behind the push to push big predators everywhere - . It's not a bunch of tree-hugging kids , it goes higher than any of us know - real mover and shakers with billions of dollars .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Sorry, have to cut and paste to get the PDF.

Current Montana elk populations:

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=93097

Last edited by alpinecrick; 11/15/19.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

To be fair, this is what I'm seeing too. Very slowly happening though and the beginnings were devastating. Fish and Game does annual phone surveys and the past 8 years or so they always ask questions about seeing wolves while hunting. I haven't hunted up here for a few years due to a lack of game. Told the surveyor on the place I hunted I saw 85 mule deer in one afternoon. Same place following year I cut the tracks of 3 wolves, and saw exactly 3 deer...

Wish they had never been re-introduced...

and as someone else mentioned, lions take a real toll...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Mark, If someone were to look at Wyoming moose numbers pre wolf reintroduction vs. present .....the evidence is indisputable! Our elk numbers are down as well. The elk have changed their habitat patterns to survive. There are many more elk spending time in and around human habitation than what they did 20 to 30 years ago. Even sheep have been affected to a lesser degree! On thing that is helping us, a little, is the ability to kill wolves anytime outside their protected areas. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We were never without wolves in northern MN, deer and moose seemed to do just fine.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seem's to me the fish and game department's should take a clue from the predators. People don't want female's killed, they are needed to repopulate. Well sounds to me like wiping them out pretty much works better in the long run. I have thought for a long time there are just to many female deer and elk around. Lot of them are barren and the more animal's there are the less food there is. I have to admit I would shoot a wold on sight. Problem being all the hunting dog's that get killed by them. I am not offering my dog's up for wolf food! On the other hand I don't take my dog's where there are reported wolf sighting either. Kind of rules out hunting here as year before last I did see a wolf down by the John Day river. First one in 30yrs here. Talked to the rancher where I was and was told they are seeing them now and then around here. There is a reason wolves were wiped out many years ago. Beautiful animals but they are absolute killer's. I can remember when I was a kid in this state, Oregon, there was a bounty on Mountain Lion. Today you can't even use dogs and lions seem to be on the up swing. Several have been spotted here in town in the last several years. I've bumped into four over the years here. Lived in Montana about four years and spent a lot of time out in the woods. Have never seen one in Montana. I'm not sure hunting the way they do here will control lion populations or wolf population's. Hunter's buy lion tags just in case but seldom fill them!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So you have wolves in Oregon to the point they’re affecting entire game populations, all within three years?

I’m all ears...

It happens even faster than that.... I used to travel over Togatee pass once a month for several years, I would count the moose along the way , at times I could count up to a dozen.
Then the wolves were reintroduced and I never saw another moose.. all within a year... I believe my own eyes over some so called expert with an agenda and a paycheck attached to said agenda...
Where is BuzzH?

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whats happened here is opportunists have seized on the moment and used the reduction in game to reduce resident hunters harvest on pretty much all game animals, preferring to give it to the Indians who are worse than the wolves.
I have attended seminars put on by the "wolf lovers" and its nothing short of a big lie, we dont need wolves for any reason and would suggest wolf lovers to watch a video on wolves killing ungulates.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

well that was an ignorant statement

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"moose seemed to do just fine"
What planet are you on? Moose are not "fine" in MN.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka

Brad tends to indulge in liberal thoughts....so such statements are to be expected by him.... wink

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bobmn
"moose seemed to do just fine"
What planet are you on? Moose are not "fine" in MN.

No schitt...moose were the first thing to go here, and in YNP.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to hard to figure out why the moose went first... number one they aren't the brightest bulb.... two they tend to winter in deeper snow... the wolves can run on top.

The first time a moose see's a wolf his brain is thinking "coyote" nothing to worry about....

The few moose I see now are up very high, like the tops of mountains... so it appears they are adapting.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Moose also tend to be loners, except of course cows with a calf or two, and as a result they're more susceptible to wolf predation.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do some of you really not see that the Wolf intro is but an arm of the Deep State Swamp ?

[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Strick9
Do some of you really not see that the Wolf intro is but an arm of the Deep State Swamp ?

From here it looks to be the opening salvo in the push to minimise hunting and the popularity of firearms.

But who knows, maybe wolves really are cuddly and wholesome and not really the mongrel creatures I think they are.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

Call it what you will but the goal is obvious...for the predators to do population control on the game, and make all those nasty old hunters stay home cause we don't need them anymore.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Wolves were reintroduced under the obligation of the Endangered Species Act. Funny thing is the non native wolf they brought here killed the last few of the original native wolf populations. I think it is more a case of do gooders and the laws of unintended consequences.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

seeing more elk the last few years over here....paradise valley...…..bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by irfubar

Better in theory than reality... it aint that easy

no schidt…..bob

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In Oregon we can’t legally hunt them, yet....AK, MT, WY and ID have hunting seasons for them...Has that helped reduce and manage wolf numbers or are the wolves protected boundaries so large, you rarely see any while hunting the small areas open for taking a wolf?
😎

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Ifurbar…….to be honest the 20,000 elk was probably to much for carrying capacity anyway.....but the wolves got busy in a hurry.

the ranches around here are where a lot of elk hang out.....a lot....also in my 30 years here.....some places let you hunt....but not that many.

have seen quite a few elk riding in pickups this year......lot of deer in the valley also......bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's so many theories, thoughts and misinformation out there...I have no idea how to make heads or tails of it all.

I do think this map of Idaho's elk objectives does paint a picture....as the areas below objective are close to where the reintroduction in '95 occurred and where the packs are still largely concentrated.

[Linked Image from idrange.org]

I also have it on good authority that IDFG lowered their elk number objectives somewhat recently....so areas that are now meeting objectives were below objective just a few years ago...why they did that can be theorized to fit both "sides" of the argument, I guess.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
As law abiding hunters, we are allowed to hunt animals, that are deemed surplus....to the overall game population. Wolves hunt year round and literally "eat" into these surplus numbers. This ratio changes from year to year, but the constant remains.......human hunters are managed due to population trends, wolves are not.

I moved to Idaho in 1995, the same year the first wolves were introduced, and things have changed greatly because of them, especially after 2000, when the wolf numbers were high enough to really impact moose, elk, and deer populations.

I have a copy of the 1995 hunting regs, from when I moved to Idaho, that I keep in my truck. When people say things haven't changed that much, I let them review the old regs, and have them compare "then" vs "now", in their favorite area, for their favorite game animal. That ALWAYS leave them quiet and pondering the changes that have occurred, without further discussion. It's amazing how quickly we forget how "things were", pre wolf introduction.

Andy3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobMt

Ifurbar…….to be honest the 20,000 elk was probably to much for carrying capacity anyway.....but the wolves got busy in a hurry.

the ranches around here are where a lot of elk hang out.....a lot....also in my 30 years here.....some places let you hunt....but not that many.

have seen quite a few elk riding in pickups this year......lot of deer in the valley also......bob

I agree Bob, hopefully things will find a balance and improve.... not many people trapping and hunting predators anymore, so I have limited expectations.
As far as hunting access that is another whole can of worms.... think I will sit that discussion out... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Oregon we can’t legally hunt them, yet....AK, MT, WY and ID have hunting seasons for them...Has that helped reduce and manage wolf numbers or are the wolves protected boundaries so large, you rarely see any while hunting the small areas open for taking a wolf?
😎

Most all of ID and MT have no areas closed to hunting wolf during their seasons (other than national parks and the like)...though some areas have quotas. The vast majority of WY classifies wolves as predators, and can be shot at any time of the year in any number. WY does have a few areas where they're classified as a game animal where a tag is needed and both a season and a quota is in place.

That said they're tough to hunt and I have seen no indication that those shot by sport hunters or trapped (or aerial gunned/poisoned) has had any overall effect. When the gov does take an entire pack out I am sure it does alleviate the pressure on deer/elk/moose/cattle, but only until another pack moves in to that area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
😎

Beav, my corner of the state has no boundaries and I can buy up to 5 wolf tags. Filling them is the trick. A few savvy trappers limit out, but my best guess you could count them on one hand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some things no one has mentioned:

How did the moose and elk survive before the white man got here and the elk and moose had no "protection"?

Was the number of Elk and Moose "when I used to hunt them" the right number, or just the number that was there?

What does the browse/graze look like now that there are fewer herbivores?

Are any of you hunters younger and do any of you hunt harder than you did in the good old days?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Kind of. In my area, it does lead to a decrease in population but also changes the deer behavior when wolf population increases. Deer are much less likely to frequent roads, beaches, and larger openings when wolves are around. So, the traditional methods of finding deer doesn’t work well in a higher wolf abundance and people cry wolf.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore

How did the moose and elk survive before the white man got here and the elk and moose had no "protection"?

Was the number of Elk and Moose "when I used to hunt them" the right number, or just the number that was there?

Are any of you hunters younger and do any of you hunt harder than you did in the good old days?

1. The elk and moose were not confined by highways subdivisions etc.... back then they could relocate to another area, until the wolves showed up, they kept moving.
2, Don't know.... it was a more productive endeavor back then
3. Fewer herbivores? as many cattle as ever for modern times... people gotta eat
4. I can only speak for myself and I don't hunt near as hard as I used to. Also seems the younger generation finds it too hard. And with fewer animals it is harder. They need some success to stay engaged.
The anti's plan is working perfectly. But you being a lib cannot connect any of those dots

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

Kind of. In my area, it does lead to a decrease in population but also changes the deer behavior when wolf population increases. Deer are much less likely to frequent roads, beaches, and larger openings when wolves are around. So, the traditional methods of finding deer doesn’t work well in a higher wolf abundance and people cry wolf.

That is interesting Calvin, around here it seems to push them into civilization. Adapt and survive

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Hunting hard? 😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn flatlanders..... smile

Sycamore wouldn't know a Roosevelt from a Holstein..... wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
😎

Most all of ID and MT have no areas closed to hunting wolf during their seasons (other than national parks and the like)...though some areas have quotas. The vast majority of WY classifies wolves as predators, and can be shot at any time of the year in any number. WY does have a few areas where they're classified as a game animal where a tag is needed and both a season and a quota is in place.

That said they're tough to hunt and I have seen no indication that those shot by sport hunters or trapped (or aerial gunned/poisoned) has had any overall effect. When the gov does take an entire pack out I am sure it does alleviate the pressure on deer/elk/moose/cattle, but only until another pack moves in to that area.

TI,
I hoped you’d come along...I’ve always felt your background, hunting abilities and willingness to shape the information from F&G back into a realistic and truthful model of what’s actually taking place insightful. Thanks....😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Or a mountain from a mole hill....LMAO 😎

“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by erich
We were never without wolves in northern MN, deer and moose seemed to do just fine.

The mosse are having a hell of a hard time in MN but not sure it is due to the expanding wolf population. Yes. Minnesota has always had wolves but there are far more than there were 40 years ago when I started tramping around northern MN.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
😎

TI,
I hoped you’d come along...I’ve always felt your background, hunting abilities and willingness to shape the information from F&G back into a realistic and truthful model of what’s actually taking place is insightful. Thanks....😎

No problem Beav...always willing to share what I have learned and observed...

Way back in 2009 I was hunting Montana elk for (I believe) the 31st or 32nd day, when I happen across the first two elk I had seen that year...when this guy came running out after them.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I never did see another elk that season. I have seen a couple elk in that same area since, so maybe that area is "balancing"....if one believes in such a thing. I've called a few wolves in since, goofed up on some other incidental opportunities, plus had a guy I was with shoot another big male that I called in, but I haven't killed one since. I don't particularly care for them, but they're here to stay so I've learned to tolerate them and see them as another critter to hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome trophy Ti.....

No wolves were harmed in my pic...... notice woof howler.... I tried

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some things no one has mentioned:How did the moose and elk survive before the white man got here and the elk and moose had no "protection"?
It seems Lewis and Clark had to eat 190 dogs and a dozen horses while traveling through pristine wolf country and at that almost starved.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Wolves were reintroduced under the obligation of the Endangered Species Act. Funny thing is the non native wolf they brought here killed the last few of the original native wolf populations. I think it is more a case of do gooders and the laws of unintended consequences.

Disagree , when unintended consequences turn into areas of wiped out game animals , ranchers losing large sums of money , folks pets killed , hunters hounds killed , do-gooders would except that there are enough wolves . But no they fight every step of the way and spend untold amounts of money to protect the wolves above all else .

I use to keep up with the wolf stuff - hunted them a lot when i lived in Idaho 07-08 .

There have been wolves in many of the places that just now States are admitting they're there .
A wolf from the Boise pack was killed by a vehicle south of Pendleton , OR. in 2006 , there were pics of wolves in central Washington state around the same time .
There was a confirmed wolf in colorado about that time period also .
Thread on LRHunting - people see and hear wolves in missouri , my younger brother Tony & I saw a wolf in sw Arkansas in 1979 - plain as day . It crossed the road in front of us and when i slowed to look at it - it stopped and stared back at us from a pasture maybe 80 yards away , got a good long look at it .
SW Idaho corner to NE California corner is only a couple of hundred miles distance - there were wolves in the Ohyhees desert in 2007 I saw a desert mule deer kill with fresh tracks as big as my hand . Ranchers in the area told me - there had always been wolves down there , skip and a hop from Nevada . How long would take a wolf or wolves to scout out that distance ?
There are a lot more wolves in a lot more places that only the people who have seen them know about .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They certainly don’t help. Though locally I put more damage on the deer population to black bears. Bears are crafty at catching those fresh dropped fawns.

Oh and the road guys shooting does and then wondering why they don’t see deer on the roads anymore.

Yup.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hastings,

That part of Lewis and Clark's journey was along a major Indian route over the Rockies. There were few game animals not because of wolves, but because of Indians, who constantly traveled the route during late spring, summer and early fall. They not only hunted along the route, but the horses they rode (and used to pack their gear and game), grazed the hell out of it. I've read various versions of the L&C journals several times, and cannot remember them seeing many (if any) wolves in that area.

Meanwhile, they had no difficulty living off wild game when they journeyed up and down the Missouri River through the plains--where they saw plenty of wolves near the very abundant bison herds. Along with buffalo, they also saw and ate plenty of deer and elk. However, some of today's anthropologists and historians suspect the abundant plains game was partially due to recent epidemics that killed off thousands of the major predators of the plains, the members of various tribes.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I wouldn't be at all surprised if wolves have already reached the washing/oregon 'wetside' a lot of cover to sneak around in there . They're confirmed in Northern California - so why wouldn't they be ?

Posted by Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Another wolf expert chimes in

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Do the wolves in Alaska push the deer , elk and moose and caribou from the back country down to private ranches and sub divisions like in the lower 48? Can you hunt, trap a wolves in Alaska? Can you hunt wolves in Oregon or Washington or Minnesota?

Comparing Alaska to states like Washington,human pop 7.5 million or Michigan population over 10 million is a bit ridiculous. Maybe sycamore, who zero experience with wolves, can chime in

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I wouldn't be at all surprised if wolves have already reached the washing/oregon 'wetside' a lot of cover to sneak around in there . They're confirmed in Northern California - so why wouldn't they be ?

Mike,
2 years ago while deer hunting on the Oregon Coast I spotted what I initially thought was a large coyote at 200 or so yards. I got my glass on it, and aside from a heavy, thick coat, which isn’t uncommon for our coyotes to be sporting in late October, I could tell this animal looked different than any coyote I have seen across multiple states I’ve hunted them.

This animal was tall from the ground to its shoulders, I guess based on the small Christmas Tree in the background to be something in the neighborhood of 2.5-3’ft tall...It’s snout was broader and blocked, not long and sharp, and ears were short compared to any coyote I’ve seen or shot.

I actually thought I was looking at someone’s pet husky dog. Coloration was a mixed coat of light brown with grayish white. I watched it as it stood looking at something for a couple minutes before it disappeared into cover.

If it was a coyote, it was the biggest, strangest looking dog I’ve ever seen...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Do the wolves in Alaska push the deer , elk and moose and caribou from the back country down to private ranches and sub divisions like in the lower 48? Can you hunt, trap a wolves in Alaska? Can you hunt wolves in Oregon or Washington or Minnesota?

Comparing Alaska to states like Washington,human pop 7.5 million or Michigan population over 10 million is a bit ridiculous. Maybe sycamore, who zero experience with wolves, can chime in

Oregon is a no on wolf hunting...😎

“Molon Labe”
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Beaver10: Be careful with this topic.
I will say this after Hunting Montana every year (for both Big Game and Varmints!) since the late 1960's the Wolves (and other predators like Cougars, Coyotes, Black bear and Grizzled Bears!) have "affected" the Big Game herds immensely in the last 16 - 18 years.
The "predators" have changed the habits and haunts of Elk SEVERELY - don't let anyone tell you they haven't!
The Elk though are smart and they have of recent taken up residence, for much of each year, on private ranches - I surmise this affords the Elk SOME protection from the marauding transplanted Canadian Wolves and other predators!
Sadly the Bighorn Sheep, Mule Deer and Moose populations were/are unable to attain this protection.
Our Moose here in SW Montana have been absolutely decimated!
I Hunted a particular mountain ranges foothills for well over 20 years and would see 150 to 400 Mule Deer in a late season day - introduce more predators and the same mountain ranges foothills are now "special draw tags" and its rare to see even 10 Mule Deer in these same traditional haunts!
Sad.
There are simply WAY to many predators in Montana - PERIOD!
And I could give a Grizzly crap less what any outdoor writer or "game department official" burps up about this issue.
Yeah there are lots of Elk still in some areas but they have taken refuge for the most part on private (non-Huntable!) land in western Montana!
As long as the fish, wildlife and parks liberals are protecting predators I don't see this situation improving for the traditional public lands Hunters.
Another example for your consideration - I also Hunt Elk during the rut in SW and western Montana - and have done so for MANY decades.
I had a secret area in Montana (that Dwight Shue and Larry Jones also Hunted on occasion!) for years I would see 2 to 10 mature Bulls A DAY during the height of the rut - the transplanted Wolves became so abundant (active) in this area that the Elk literally disappeared from it!
Last time I Hunted there for 8 straight days I never saw an ELK! Not one, not a cow not a calf not a spike bull!
Since then I have traveled there numerous times to double check my unbelievable new reality - still haven't seen a Bull there!
BUT... lots of Wolf sign.
We (as Hunters!) worked long and paid hard and dearly to rebuild our Moose, Bighorn Sheep and Elk herds only to have their numbers dramatically affected and Hunting opportunities diminished by transplanted Canadian Wolves.
I say this to the liberal feds and the liberal game department administrators who brought us even MORE predators from Canada - "thanks for nothing and doublephuck YOU"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shortly after re-introduction, when a thread such as this was started they would call us bar stool experts, kooks, lazy bad hunters etc.....

Now we have the advantage of hindsight and other states are experiencing wolves... with the same results, VG you are absolutely correct and never trust people with agenda's, they make a living off of this stuff.

Grizzly bears have had a small army of government biologist, experts etc... making a good living off the issue... wolves no different

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hastings,

That part of Lewis and Clark's journey was along a major Indian route over the Rockies. There were few game animals not because of wolves, but because of Indians, who constantly traveled the route during late spring, summer and early fall. They not only hunted along the route, but the horses they rode (and used to pack their gear and game), grazed the hell out of it. I've read various versions of the L&C journals several times, and cannot remember them seeing many (if any) wolves in that area.

Meanwhile, they had no difficulty living off wild game when they journeyed up and down the Missouri River through the plains--where they saw plenty of wolves near the very abundant bison herds. Along with buffalo, they also saw and ate plenty of deer and elk. However, some of today's anthropologists and historians suspect the abundant plains game was partially due to recent epidemics that killed off thousands of the major predators of the plains, the members of various tribes.

Thanks, I've never actually read any L&C journals. But I wonder if the Indian population along the trail over the Rockies hadn't also been decimated by epidemics thereby reducing their impact on the game. And from what I can tell at Yellowstone it seems bison are not much affected by wolves, I'm guessing they put up too much of a fight, but the elk population seems to have been worked over. And even though the journals didn't mention wolves much if any don't you think there were as many there as the habitat could support. And also didn't the deer and elk population show up in pretty substantial numbers between the demise of the wolves (and Indians) and the reintroduction of the wolves. Of course I imagine game management policies of the 1900s helped a bunch. Having never hunted up there I am just asking because I don't know. We do travel and sight see a good bit in Montana and Idaho but I never wanted to have to deal with hauling a bunch of fresh meat back to Louisiana.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Bears get in the neighborhood of 40% of the fawns in multiple studies.

Always interesting to see what happens to critter populations when someone really lays into wolves on a particular island. Night and day really. Get even 5 or 6 wolves on an island and deer populations plummet. We have the luxury of watching it happen. Those year that we had a tiny wolf quota killed us.

Originally Posted by AKduck
They certainly don’t help. Though locally I put more damage on the deer population to black bears. Bears are crafty at catching those fresh dropped fawns.

Oh and the road guys shooting does and then wondering why they don’t see deer on the roads anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Calvin that was an interesting read.... the conclusion wolves and deer cannot both survive on an island.....
In the lower 48 we aren't on an island and when the wolves wipe out a local population they are free to move on... and they do.
Then the destruction starts all over ..... and around it goes.
Before freeways and subdivisions etc..... the animals had a chance to flee. The brilliant biologist failed to foresee this unintended consequence....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my state we have spent millions of taxpayer dollars on the " Red Wolf" which is factually a Wolf / Coyote hybrid, however the feds and local goonies say it is an endangered species. Hail, we have a 5000 sq foot modern brick building called the SeeWee Red Wolf Exhibit where touristas can come look at them , provide charity blah blah.

Further in the last 15 years the coyote has made it to the same coastal forests where this so called wolf was released. Now we have yotes that touch 45 lbs and have coats like NGs.

Our deer and turkey population started a very evident down trend about one year after the yote gained its foot hold and then dropped to an all time low in the last five years and is still suffering. USFS, USFW and SCNDR biologist call this reaching a balance. F that balance. Where will conservation be when there are no hunters because there is no game?

Fed and state agencies response : Nah can't be the yotes fault, you need to learn to live with them.

A buddy of mine out west looses stock weekly. He says this is his only resort during calving season, dip a chicken thigh hang on a low hanging branch or carve a point on low hanging limb and push thigh onto limb about 4' off the ground. Keeps his personal dogs locked up for several weeks after. Freaking sad when it comes to that for sure.

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol....mmTtYJ2_nwulmQ5KkCWi-a2dILUaAjcCEALw_wcB

[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my humble opinion, the introduction of the Canadian Timberwolf in 95 was the worst example of "those that make the rules don't have to live under them" I have ever seen. The Elk and Deer populations hadn't seen a wolf in close to a century. Then, a 100 pound appetite with feet shows up and discovers a smorgasboard that doesn't run away soon enough.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok, let’s look at why our forefathers found it necessary to annihilate the wolves? Without bleeding into bison killing for army consumption and profiteering off the skins as a way to sidetrack this conversation. Or, wholisticly discussing market hunting that hurt game animals of fur and feather before hunting seasons and regulations were put in place.

What were the wolves doing that caused them to become public enemy #1...Dare say the same thing they’re doing currently?

Personally, I’m a believer that man screws shît up consistently with both good intentions and with deceptive means designed to appease people and organizations where money is contributed.

I worked with the “Free Willy foundation” on a cabling infrastructure construction project...I happened to meet a couple of the fishes biologists who worked the tank with Willy...They both said this fish is dead once it would be released because the “Non-Profit” organizers were raking in millions in donations, paying out huge salaries to the top runners of the Free Willy organization and there was no way the fish could not be released.

Both biologist said the campaign should have been Save Willy and keep him in captivity...The fish was found dead shortly after being released...Hey, but some made a lot of money collecting donations. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't help but notice BuzzH hasn't shown up......
In other threads he loves to brag on how much money he makes......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Or a mountain from a mole hill....LMAO 😎

I don't know about that, ladies.

My front porch is at 7000 feet, which kind of makes you girls the flatlanders.

I do yard work at higher elevation than you hunt!

Kind of a double-whammy on fubes, being a born and bred prune-picker on top of that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Around here, the impacts I see are from increased population of humans, hunting in groups (2-3 permits, 10 people in camp, and UTVs up and down every road.

Long term drought is not helping wildlife or cows either.

this year was a long, wet winter, one of the best in years, followed by one of the driest summers ever. Cool season grasses rebounded, warm season grasses almost disappeared.

Good hunters are still finding the animals.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Syc,
Weather has and always will play a role in animal movement during hunting hours. Changing up tactics to improve odds of success can be done over a quick strategy meeting amongst the crew knowing there’s animals available requiring only a change of hunting techniques...

Our crew just had to do this finding uncommonly warm, dry weather for a 2nd year in a row. We should have had 2 bulls down in 4 days of hunting instead of only one. It was a mistake a pard made. The key is animals in the area to hunt.

I wouldn’t say someone is a poor hunter, if the hunting grounds they’ve spent much of their life scouting and hunting becomes a barren landscape for furred animals after an increase of wolf presence in the area...Further, you take an area that had historically held an abundance of game and now doesn’t. How do you expect a hunter to change tactics on non-existent animals, or move to another hunting ground, especially when hunting a boundary unit that prevents you from pulling stakes and moving 30-40 miles into a new area?

You can’t...You’re stuck hunting the unit. Over the years I’ve had to make several changes in hunting tactics, mostly to follow the animals, but also to get away from the increase in hunting pressure from individuals who lack area knowledge and screw up a well planned hunt for myself and crew....

But this conversation is about the impact of wolves, and to a degree the added pairs of teeth they bring to some areas already holding predators that enjoy dining on ungulates. They certainly don’t make it any easier, and without living within or nearby the hunting grounds you plan to hunt. It can be very disappointing to arrive days before the opener only to discover wolf tracks and no game.

Lastly, living at 7k elevation would be difficult for me to hunt being I spend most of my life at sea level. Congratulations to you running your weed eater without getting winded. I would hire my yard work out, so I could concentrate on working a heavy pack running up and down your mountains to be ready to hunt...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My couch is just out of camera shot...... at sea level... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sycamores turn........

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
IMO most of Montanas problem in certain areas is related to the elk management plan and the fact they give out to many tags of all types. In addition 6 months of war on elk is too much.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/16/19.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My couch is just out of camera shot...... at sea level... smile

Shît Brother, I’m out of breath just looking at you there...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A confession brother Beav... a sturdy horse hauled my fat azz up there..... we climbed mtns like that everyday then walked the horses down... I sweated going downhill... damn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sycamores turn........

sea level couch? I thought you lived in Montana? Are you at the bottom of the Kelley Mine in Butte?

Or did you move ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A confession brother Beav... a sturdy horse hauled my fat azz up there..... we climbed mtns like that everyday then walked the horses down... I sweated going downhill... damn

+10 points for honesty and +5 for the laugh!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sycamore I understand lib's are challenged in the humor department, my couch still resides in Mt. and no they haven't thrown me down the mine shaft..... yet

Now if you could post a pic of 7000ft weed eating I would be much obliged.... oh hell any pic will do

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Syc,
Weather has and always will play a role in animal movement during hunting hours. Changing up tactics to improve odds of success can be done over a quick strategy meeting amongst the crew knowing there’s animals available requiring only a change of hunting techniques...

Our crew just had to do this finding uncommonly warm, dry weather for a 2nd year in a row. We should have had 2 bulls down in 4 days of hunting instead of only one. It was a mistake a pard made. The key is animals in the area to hunt.

I wouldn’t say someone is a poor hunter, if the hunting grounds they’ve spent much of their life scouting and hunting becomes a barren landscape for furred animals after an increase of wolf presence in the area...Further, you take an area that had historically held an abundance of game and now doesn’t. How do you expect a hunter to change tactics on non-existent animals, or move to another hunting ground, especially when hunting a boundary unit that prevents you from pulling stakes and moving 30-40 miles into a new area?

You can’t...You’re stuck hunting the unit. Over the years I’ve had to make several changes in hunting tactics, mostly to follow the animals, but also to get away from the increase in hunting pressure from individuals who lack area knowledge and screw up a well planned hunt for myself and crew....

But this conversation is about the impact of wolves, and to a degree the added pairs of teeth they bring to some areas already holding predators that enjoy dining on ungulates. They certainly don’t make it any easier, and without living within or nearby the hunting grounds you plan to hunt. It can be very disappointing to arrive days before the opener only to discover wolf tracks and no game.

Lastly, living at 7k elevation would be difficult for me to hunt being I spend most of my life at sea level. Congratulations to you running your weed eater without getting winded. I would hire my yard work out, so I could concentrate on working a heavy pack running up and down your mountains to be ready to hunt...😎

Good post, but not following you on some of it.

IME, multiple things have changed over 40 years on all the places I hunt in Arizona. Weather has changed, population of the state has changed, the way other hunters hunt has changed. Where I'm at no wolves (yet) but they are in the eastern part of the state now.

In AZ not uncommon to hunt a different unit every year, up to 100-200 miles away, or even the border 300 miles away.

Forest structure has changed, more logging on the 1980s, then 20 years of very little, now starting to pick up a little again.

Bigger fires, now have some burns to hunt.

GPS, maps, Google earth, game cameras have really changed the way other people hunt, and their has been a bump (in my opinion) in outfitter/guided hunting.

Travel trailers and UTVs have made a big difference in how much country people can travel to hunt in a day.

Schidt-load of changes without wolves.

I expect there are changes due to wolves, but I doubt all the change people are noticing can be laid solely at the feet of the wolves.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sycamore I understand lib's are challenged in the humor department, my couch still resides in Mt. and no they haven't thrown me down the mine shaft..... yet

Now if you could post a pic of 7000ft weed eating I would be much obliged.... oh hell any pic will do

I'll take a picture of the woodpile tomorrow! guest appearance by a rental yard splitter!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My guess with Arizona's dry climate and relatively low game populations wolves will be devastating.... same for Nevada....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My guess with Arizona's dry climate and relatively low game populations wolves will be devastating.... same for Nevada....

20 years on the east side of the state. up to about 130 wolves now. most of the pushback is from ranchers. I'm not clear on changes to elk permits (I don't hunt that area) It would be units 1, 2, and 3 I think. KRP and Dennisinaz probably know more

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Hunting hard? 😎

That’s a tough pack out. Did you drive to the log landing you shot it from?

I hunt E. WA, where wolves are starting to take hold, but I haven’t noticed a decline. Lots of hunters that don’t see elk blame the wolves. I heard this excuse several times this season. Less than two miles away elk herds of close to 50 were seen several days in a row. Even though I saw only 6 cows in 8 days, I’m leery of blaming the wolves.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MHWASH

Hunting hard? 😎

That’s a tough pack out. Did you drive to the log landing you shot it from?

I hunt E. WA, where wolves are starting to take hold, but I haven’t noticed a decline. Lots of hunters that don’t see elk blame the wolves. I heard this excuse several times this season. Less than two miles away elk herds of close to 50 were seen several days in a row. Even though I saw only 6 cows in 8 days, I’m leery of blaming the wolves.

I wish we could have gotten a truck to that landing...All the ground we hunt is gate locked with access via foot, horse, or pedal bike. Nothing mechanical or electric is permitted.

The roads are patrolled by forest company employees looking for offenders, with State Police called in to cite for trespassing with a firearm - a felony for being stupid and not reading the big signs posted at multiple points of entry.

We went in two separate ways to reach the spots we hoped the elk would be opening morning. 2 pards had a 2.5 mile hike, but mostly under inclined roads with long pulls...2 others went in through a different gate that put travel at 3 miles, but a smidge less incline in exchange for a longer hike.

Once the meat was out of the clearcut, it’s just a matter of packing it mostly downhill to our trucks. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wolves have had a serious impact on the recovery of elk in the Clearwater Basin country of North Central Idaho(Look at T Inmans map). But it was also a perfect storm in the sense because the winter of 95-96 hammered the elk in that area. I personally found dozens of winter killed elk. I'd guess the elk population easily dropped 50% and more like 70%. Habitat and calf survival was poor in this area prior to this die-off, but the elk were hanging on and hunting was decent.

Wolves showed up shortly after 1995 and the elk populations are just a fraction of what they were prior to the big winter kill and wolves showing up. This area had long been known as a "predator pit" due to black bears, cougars, some marginal winter range, and now wolves.

Front range elk units, closer to civilization and agriculture seem to be doing okay for elk. But wolves don't stay long near people or do well with an open season on them in these areas.

As far as killing wolves, hunting ain't going to do much in the above mentioned area, but it helps, trappers do better, but that ain't easy either. The wolf season is virtually open year-round in backcountry areas with multiple tags available. It's big country, heavily timbered, and hard to get to when hunting conditions would be good. Even though many claim wolves are behind every tree, they ain't....

I know a few people who have killed one wolf, but I don't personally know anybody that has killed two. Most wolves are killed incidently while elk hunting.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Interesting topic. Predator hunting is my favorite, mainly because of simplified logistics. I have spent at least 3 weeks of every year, recently as many as 10 weeks/year hunting wolves in Idaho and Montana w/ out success.
I have, in that time, seen plenty of deer and elk. Many were living and plenty were victims of predation. In most of Idaho and Montana the people who live on the land (ranchers] were universal in their opinions that predators were a significant problem. Their biggest concern, in my limited experience, was w/ coyotes and that wolves were close behind and lions and bears a distant, but not insignificant factor.

I have spent the last 25 days roaming the hills South of Yellowstone and have seen wolves and grizzlys several times and their tracks almost daily. All of the outfitters that I have encountered are cursing the predators at least as much as the warm weather. There are still some mighty impressive racks coming out of these mountains.

I believe that shrinking habitat due to increased human population is the greatest threat to wild animal numbers in our lifetime. Humans breed and compete for territory far more successfully than do the wild critters.

Mike's Law: Having a wolf tag will allow you to see more Big Game than wolves.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I see the word "balance" being used as in "balance of nature." Although referred to frequently as a factual model, it is a common misconception and a dangerous concept. There is no balance but there is a pendulum and it swings very unevenly sometimes, but it does swing...until it doesn't.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
lvmike ,

Do you shoot coyotes while wolf hunting ?

Have you called in any wolves ?

Posted by Bristoe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I see the word "balance" being used as in "balance of nature." Although referred to frequently as a factual model, it is a common misconception and a dangerous concept. There is no balance but there is a pendulum and it swings very unevenly sometimes, but it does swing...until it doesn't.

Exactly. But liberals and urbanites don't understand basic ecosystem biology, and yet they make the rules. It's a great way to ruin a good thing.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Exactly. But liberals and urbanites don't understand basic ecosystem biology, and yet they make the rules. It's a great way to ruin a good thing.

+2

Posted by Bristoe
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
lvmike ,

I definitely shoot coyotes if they come in while calling. I have been told that wolves and coyotes don't share territory but I have seen their tracks in the same area. Last week I saw a Wolf in the Pacific Creek riverbed and called it w/ a cottontail in distress call. It showed interest but didn't come in and may have already seen me. I couldn't have shot him anyway as you need a special tag for this close to Yellowstone. In this region I only call where I have good visibility due to seeing grizzly tracks almost daily.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
OK thanks - good luck !

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
lvmike ,

I definitely shoot coyotes if they come in while calling. I have been told that wolves and coyotes don't share territory but I have seen their tracks in the same area. Last week I saw a Wolf in the Pacific Creek riverbed and called it w/ a cottontail in distress call. It showed interest but didn't come in and may have already seen me. I couldn't have shot him anyway as you need a special tag for this close to Yellowstone. In this region I only call where I have good visibility due to seeing grizzly tracks almost daily.

mike r

You may have perked his curiosity with that distress call, but I'll bet unless he was a hungry, lone animal that's all you were doing. I have not had much luck at all using prey distress sounds with wolves. I have called wolves in with non distress cow elk calls, but when specifically targeting wolves I leave all the food source calls at home.

Wolves hunt in packs and seem to prefer perfectly healthy animals, other than those that have been weakened by winter. I use nothing but wolf vocals anymore and have had found more success. Use their extremely territorial and pack nature to your advantage. Don't overlook a pup in distress call though.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have lived most of my life in areas with wolves but it has only been in the last fifteen years or so that they have become responsible for all of the decline in ungulate populations. One area which had a lot of moose and a pretty good wolf population, saw a hefty decline in moose which coincided with a more liberal moose season and increased access; yet it was the wolves which were entirely responsible.
Another area was, essentially, devoid of big game but I saw one wolf and tracks of one other. The one I saw was hunting mice. I wasn't sure if the lack of game was due to these two wolves or the fact that I was within snowmobile range of an Indian reserve. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
I wasn't sure if the lack of game was due to these two wolves or the fact that I was within snowmobile range of an Indian reserve. GD
I've often wondered how the Alaska caribou herd could survive with natives on snow machines and carrying rifles. Aren't the natives allowed to kill fish and game without intervention by conservation laws?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This is a dumb question but I’m serious as I’ve no experience with mule deer, but wouldn’t seeing 100 of any big game animal feeding in a 15 acre field be a sign of overpopulation and that your headed for a crash?

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Hastings
I wasn't sure if the lack of game was due to these two wolves or the fact that I was within snowmobile range of an Indian reserve. GD
I've often wondered how the Alaska caribou herd could survive with natives on snow machines and carrying rifles. Aren't the natives allowed to kill fish and game without intervention by conservation laws?

Yep.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
lvmike ,

mike r

You may have perked his curiosity with that distress call, but I'll bet unless he was a hungry, lone animal that's all you were doing. I have not had much luck at all using prey distress sounds with wolves. I have called wolves in with non distress cow elk calls, but when specifically targeting wolves I leave all the food source calls at home.

Wolves hunt in packs and seem to prefer perfectly healthy animals, other than those that have been weakened by winter. I use nothing but wolf vocals anymore and have had found more success. Use their extremely territorial and pack nature to your advantage. Don't overlook a pup in distress call though.

Thanks Tinman, do you use an E-caller or just howl. I am looking to update a very old Foxpro and want to get some new sounds including stuff for Lions and wolves. Do you have concerns w/ bears when calling before hard winter? I will probably spend some time in Salmon, Id. this winter and will have Mt. tags as well. Do you have any good info for a guy w/out a snowmachine? Yet, this may be the year I get one.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have lived most of my life in areas with wolves but it has only been in the last fifteen years or so that they have become responsible for all of the decline in ungulate populations. One area which had a lot of moose and a pretty good wolf population, saw a hefty decline in moose which coincided with a more liberal moose season and increased access; yet it was the wolves which were entirely responsible.
Another area was, essentially, devoid of big game but I saw one wolf and tracks of one other. The one I saw was hunting mice. I wasn't sure if the lack of game was due to these two wolves or the fact that I was within snowmobile range of an Indian reserve. GD

That's a solid observation. When the snow hits above the chest line of most Cervids they tend to yard up. Survival becomes a game of calories burned until it melts. Predation also becomes much easier. Leonard Larue did some pretty cool data calculating on the inherent risk to calorie reserves and snow mobiles.

[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I'm told they are delisted in Utah.............

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lvmike ,

mike r

Thanks Tinman, do you use an E-caller or just howl. I am looking to update a very old Foxpro and want to get some new sounds including stuff for Lions and wolves. Do you have concerns w/ bears when calling before hard winter? I will probably spend some time in Salmon, Id. this winter and will have Mt. tags as well. Do you have any good info for a guy w/out a snowmachine? Yet, this may be the year I get one.

mike r

I do have a foxpro, but stopped using it for wolf. It just doesn't give me confidence. I use either a mouth blown coyote howler, or better yet, I just howl real deeply with no call at all. That's what I have had the most success with.

I try to have someone sit a few hundred yards away from me where they can see well, preferably downwind. That's how we got a big male last year that I howled in.

As far as cats, I have incidentally called a few in over the years and found they seem to prefer bird distress calls. That's just my initial guess though as I don't have much experience with them.

For either dogs or cats, try to find the wintering herds of deer or elk. That's where the predators will be. A guy can normally hike close to them without a snow machine.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JSTUART

From here it looks to be the opening salvo in the push to minimise hunting and the popularity of firearms.

But who knows, maybe wolves really are cuddly and wholesome and not really the mongrel creatures I think they are.

I have been making that statement every since 1995 when Hornocker pulled those first few sleepy Canadian wolves out of their cages and placed them in that Yellowstone corral and started tossing dead deer over the fence.

REMF strongly supported the wolf introduction scheme, along with every greenie in the nation. And every time I mentioned that the whole thing was just another ploy of the commies working to eliminate private gun ownership in the US, I was laughed out of the room.

But it is not so funny anymore.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, let's look at some statistics, though no doubt some will say they're lies (usually attributed to Benjamin Disraeli):

From 2004-2018, the Montana elk "harvest" has varied from 20,154 (2013) to 30,924 (2017) . The number of elk hunters varied from 103,090 (2010) to 113,976 (2017). The average "harvest" has been 24,948. This does not indicate a wipe-out of elk.

Another interesting deal, whether you want to believe it or not: During that period more and more elk have shown up on valley-bottom ranches, usually in early fall, long before the winter snows that used to drive them down from the mountains. Around here at least 500 have shown up regularly on a big ranch in the middle of the valley for several years--where very little hunting is allowed.

Is this because of wolves driving them out of the mountains? Maybe--but there aren't many wolves in this valley. However, one study indicated elk prefer to stay on private land where little hunting by "us" is allowed, even if wolves show up. I have seen this myself since 2012, when I got lucky and was allowed to hunt a ranch an hour south of here in the eastern foothills of the Gallatin Range. The first morning, during the middle of the rifle season, I glassed a mile-long "park" holding three dozen branch-antlered bulls. A few hours later I killed one of three 6-points hanging around together on the edge of the park.

Yet, according to the rancher, a pack of wolves had been there for most of the year. We even ran into the pack when bringing my bull out, but did not get a good shot at them as they were running up a ridge 500+ yards away. Have since seen the same basic thing on a couple other ranches.

Why so the elk keep hanging out where wolves show up? Apparently because wolves are less dangerous than humans, who blast away at them at any range on public land. In fact, after I shot my bull, the other bulls and at least 100 cows and calves ran to the edge of the ranch, but stopped at the border of the public land. In three days, four of us killed 6x6 bulls on the place, because we hunted carefully and did not drive them off the place. Yet the wolves were still there. We either saw them or their fresh sign the entire time.

Yeah, a bunch of elk were killed by wolves in some parts of Montana when they first started showing up, either the wolves that drifted down from Canada, or those that drifted up from Yellowstone after the stupid reintroduction. But elk in many areas have become more wary of wolves--and and are still far more wary of human hunters than far less numerous wolves.

In general, the mule deer population is also pretty good in my area, and four moose have been road-killed near our little town in the past year--and yet a friend recently saw two BIG bulls not far from town.

Yes, wolves eat big game, sometimes a lot of big game. But they do not exist where they can't find something to eat. If they eat most of the game, then they disappear as well. Have seen this in ;places from Montana to northern Canada to Alaska, often when hunting the same areas years apart. One was the Mulchatna caribou herd in Alaska. Hunted the same basic area in 1996 and 2009. Saw MANY caribou in 1996, very few in 2009. Was this due totally to wolves, or the normal up-and-downs of caribou populations?

If there is plenty of big game to eat, there are plenty of wolves--which was mentioned over and over again in the journals of Lewis and Clark over two centuries ago.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hunt elk pretty much every year in SW Montana and occasionally elsewhere in Montana. I have had the good fortune to hunt this area since the late 1970's. In recent years I have also noticed that much larger numbers of elk have been hiding out on private ranch land. I believe that is one of the biggest changes I've seen and it certainly has an impact on opportunities for elk. I've actually seen more moose than elk in the region so far this year, so they still do exist! The moose sightings have always varied from year to year. One season we saw 16 in three days, other seasons we may see one or none during the entire season. Wolves are now well established in the area and grizzlies are very well established. I've watched grizzlies chow down on elk calves so they too have an impact on the elk, as do cougars. The last couple years have been tough for elk (in my experience), this season I missed a chance at a nice bull cause I didn't react quick enough and saw quite a bit of sign, so thankfully the wolves haven't eaten "all of the elk". I hope to get out for a couple more chances this season. Weather has been odd, first week it got down to 15 below with snow and then second week it was in the 50's at times. You never know what the weather or elk are going to do from year to year.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The only effect I’ve seen of wolves on elk has been what Mule Deer alluded to. I’m seeing them in places where they haven’t historically been. On big ranches, or in the case around here way out into the desert. While hunting deer in the desert this year I glassed up a bull with nearly black antlers. Not a tree for 50 miles. I’m sure he dispersed there due to predator pressure. Be that wolf or man.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Interesting views .

T Inman thanks for the wolf hunting tips , a partner way downwind is a great setup .
When i retire i.m going to live amongst the mountain lions wolves and bears .

Posted by Bristoe
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Yes, elk patterns have changed since the wolves have shown up. Alot.

Where I shoot whitetails, in central Idaho hay fields, the elk stay year round now. Before the wolf introduction, the elk would winter in the hay fields, and then move back higher into the back country, before calving season. When the hay started growing, in the spring, the elk were gone. They typically didn't show back up until well after the last cutting was put up.

The hay farmers started complaining about the year round elk, and depredation cow elk hunts were implemented.

Again, the elk lose. This time indirectly....because of the wolf.

Andy3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Same thing here. Ranchers complained about the elk eating hay and cow calf seasons were implemented; along with the subsidization of a whole bunch of elk fencing. Elk numbers are down by a lot. While this population reduction is mostly blamed on wolves, this is the first time I have seen this particular piece of logic absolving the ranchers and game dept. and transferring all responsibility to the wolves. GD

Last edited by greydog; 11/18/19.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the things I've noticed over the past decade or so is that late-summer weather here in southwest Montana has become drier and hotter, resulting in longer, more intense fire seasons. In fact, the local record for the lowest rainfall throughout July was set a couple years ago--basically nothing at all.

When the hot, dry weather arrives , elk start showing up on valley-bottom ranches in the valley bottoms shortly thereafter--long before even the bow season starts on September 1st. This of course results in even more complaints from landowners, and last fall the local game wardens started escorting people on night shoots. I have friends who live in a foothill subdivision just above one of those ranches, who were naturally alarmed to hear rifle fire at 4 o'clock in the morning.. They called local law enforcement, whereupon they were informed about the "hunts."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interesting views .

T Inman thanks for the wolf hunting tips , a partner way downwind is a great setup .
When i retire i.m going to live amongst the mountain lions wolves and bears .

Mike’s retired life...Make friends with the Injuns, not enemies....hint 😬😎

“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well that depends if you get your information from a bar stool or in the woods.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

By that logic elk would be introduced to every state in the country that doesnt currently have them save Florida, whichbis the only state that historicaly didnt have an elk population.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arguing about what affect wolves have had vs if they hadn't been reintroduced is about like historians arguing how history would have been changed if Operation Valkarie had succeeded, or if Henry Tandey had killed Hitler in WWI.

It's all just a guess and both "sides" are cherry picking their "facts". There's so many other variables involved....fire regime, drought, increased hunter numbers, varying management objectives, invasive weeds, lowered bear and lion quotas...whatever else...not to mention the differences in how elk respond to predation in the various habitat types elk live in....which I suspect is one reason why the elk in the Selway have responded so differently to elk in the Wyoming Range.

I helped skin another one this evening...but I didn't shoot it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

I’m all ears...

It's been way more than three years since wolves were planted in Oregon. Read about or7 , a lone wolf leaves Wallowa county, crosses the state to Klamath county, then to find a mate in the Cascades . Where there were no wolves for decades! Today in the paper wolf fences are being built in Jackson county to stop predation on cattle! Three years my ass , they have been planting them for years! If not the state or feds, then by wolf lovers! Hunters have reported seeing them for 15 years.

Last edited by Heym06; 11/20/19. Reason: Spelling
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Our Governor has mandated our game dept. to stop killing wolves that have been working the cattle herds over in Stevens county. But when a House of Representatives introduced a bill to transplant wolves to the San Juan Islands that was shot down for safety reasons. Of course these are the same people who want the Navel air station removed from Whidbey Island since it is interfering with their life style. The navel station has been there since the 40's and these people knew it before they bought their homes there.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Loads of interesting observations and opinions on this thread.

Thanks Mr Mule Deer for attempting to interject some sanity here. T also.

You fellas that live with them and hunt them and their prey have provided some valuable info too.

Lonnie, thanks for remembering the bad winter up there. A number of folks have mentioned finding bone piles and seemingly attributing them to wolf (bear and lion also) predation, but who's to say, without bringing in the CSI team to do forensics, that the bones aren't from a natural death that was scavenged by predators.
(include some lost wounded game there too ) .

I'm pretty sure the wolves have had an effect, how big is very debatable. Others have mentioned elk and deer being seen in ag fields more frequently. Escaping from wolf pressure? Escaping from more hunter pressure? Or just smarter animals over time knowing where the easy living is? Let's see, good groceries, water nearby, open space to see predators.............nah, I'd rather scratch out a living in the bush where the toothy things are after me.

I know a few folks in AZ that have been hunting elk in various units for 40+ years, mostly ranchland units, not the high mountains. They say numbers are down due to the ranch owners pressuring the game managers to issue more cow tags. Realize, a cow tag after the rut is likely reducing the herd by two animals the next year. Maybe 1.5 factoring in calf survival maybe. Do that a few years in row, or longer, and what happens to your herd numbers? No wolves in that part of AZ...yet, as Sycamore pointed out. Maybe those two fellas who's names he mentioned will chime in with what's going on with wolves in that E part of the state. Been nearly 20 years since I lived up there.

(sarcasm font on) I can't wait until the wolves get established in numbers here. Will be fun when we take the dogs on walks out the back yard on the BLM land.(sarcasm font off) There are low numbers here already, but no established packs right in our area that I've heard of...............yet.

Perhaps, as others have alluded to, the wolf/game animal ratio will vary on a cyclical basis as it's said rabbits and their predators do. We moved here 3 years ago and it was common to see numerous (5-10- even 15) jackrabbits and cottontails along the 15 mile drive back from town at night. Many nights this year I haven't seen a one. Without actually being able to survey the local coyote packs I have no proof, but from the nightly sounds the numbers in the 3 packs I commonly hear around the place are down this fall too.

One thing is sure, until there is a major regime change here in CA, we'll never be able to hunt them............and trapping for "fur" has been outlawed too.

Geno

PS, having met Sycamore in person, I can tell you he's not as bad a guy as some of you folks make him out to be. cool

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
here`s my take on Wolves here in Minnesota > in Minnesota we have had Wolves always in this state for over a 100 years or more in Minnesota we shot,trapped and poisoned wolves year around and we never ever got rid of Wolves. Wolves are much smarter than most people know ,no matter what science feels what has happened to Minnesota moose it was by Wolves. most people don`t even know what the favorite food is for Wolves in the winter here in Minnesota when its easy > its black bears that are hibernating ,Wolves drag these sleep`n bears out of the bear den and eat these hibernating bears alive. science someday might even discover this in the future or how the real truth of how Minnesota moose population has been destroyed by Wolves too. northern Minnesota Ranchers have been losing cattle for years mostly beef calves but in order to be paid for a killed beef cow or calf you need to show proof ,that`s not always easy when there is no proof left anymore. just call the Kittson County Sheriff in Minnesota he is trying to keep a record now on cattle lost by Wolf depletion.>don`t be fooled there is problem with Wolves,Wolf population does need to be controlled and i feel out west atleast that is somewhat happening,but here in Minnesota these liberal do good`er`s are trying there best to protect Wolves here in Minnesota and it sucks !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Heym06
It's been way more than three years since wolves were planted in Oregon.

They were never gone.

The gov't trapper in Curry County killed two young ones back in the 1970s that, so far as dental conditions indicate, had never lived in captivity. I saw one cross I-5 by Sunny Valley just north of Grants Pass back in '87 or '88. I saw another near Elkton .. between I-5 and the coast .. in about '92. (Don't ask what magnification I saw it through or about any loud noises, I know <nothing>.). Another member here saw a pack chowing down on a cow they'd killed in a field between Powers and Myrtle Point. ODFW didn't acknowledge them because they had no means to manage the situation and would have been tasked with doing so if their existence were established, simple as that. I've gotten OR-7 on trail camera several times, others as well. We're seeing videos of wolves (probably the Indigo Pack) on graveled logging roads up by Diamond Lake now .. this fall. An acquaintance of mine reports seeing a pair just below Siskiyou Gap on the Oregon side in a big meadow .. near where FR 20 meets FR 22 in Jackson County.

They are here. They have been here. They never left.

More than that, they will always be here. With the political climate being what it is, even if a hunting season is opened for them(*), the quotas / bag limit will never be high enough for there to be any chance of them being wiped out.

(*) It may piss some folks off, but I am not "anti-wolf." I will, however, do my damnedest to draw the first tag and legally kill the first wolf in a wolf season in the state. Just for the sheer hell of doing it and thumbing my nose at the loons on the left.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I believe I can address two of your questions. Before the white man came the game animals lived on the prairie for the most part. The prairie afforded them one major advantage that they don't have now. That is much less snow pack to contend with. Now the wolves are super predators in the deep snow in mountainous country.

Regarding the vegetation, it is one of the major talking points of the pro wolf crowd that the stream side grasses and browse has improved now that the wolves are present. I have fished Slough Creek and the Lamar River in YNP for 45 years, which is ground zero for wolves, and I can tell you without hesitation that there's little to no difference now versus the 1970's and 80's. They speak with a forked tongue.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A few thoughts from 18 years of hunting wolves as a gvt trapper in montana. Wolves have indeed affected elk populations in certain areas. Yellowstone park, the Sellway wilderness, and the Frank Church wilderness come to mind. I am sure there are a few others as well. The Sellway, and Frank have lost well over half their elk numbers from the early 90s. The wolves don't get hunted with much success in these remote areas. The hunting season in Montana has been removing from 200 to 225 wolves a year for the last 4 or 5 years. Pretty similar numbers in idaho. This has been a good sucess, and has slowed the overall growth. Elk numbers in much of Montana have been at over fwp numbers for years. We have large numbers of elk that never leave the pivots. They are protected there, and it is a giant food plot. I would live there too. The wolves down here today are the same wolves as the past, not a different breed. They have been going back and forth across the Canadian border since forever. We killed a wolf one time that had a GPS collar put on it near Calgary alberta. It went 500 miles in a month eventually setting up shop west of helena. Removing wolves from an area will not be a permanent solution. Once a pack is removed, New wolves will move into good habitat within 6 months to a year. I have a couple places that I have removed 3 or 4 packs due to livestock depredations. Don't blame it all on wolves. The last 2 winters here in western Montana have been rough, especially on the mule deer,and winter kill was high especially on
the Rocky mnt front. Lion numbers are really high,and between them, and grizzly, and black bears, fawn , and calf crops are being heavily impacted in some areas. Hope some of this info helps clarify some questions.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bangpop,

To a certain extent, big game did live on "the prairie," but it had little to do with "the white man." Instead it had to do with more food. There always has been relatively little food in the mountains for herd animals, whether elk or bison. This involves elevation, not white men.

Amazing that wolves have turned into "super predators" in deep snow only in "mountainous country." They always have been more effective in deep snow, wherever it occurred--as have coyotes.

Also good to know that you have done extensive analysis of the type and amount of browse available in YNP over the past 45 years. The results from actual scientists (such as the late Les Pengelly, one of the most respected wildlife biologists in the world) came up with different results.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
atse,

Thanks for the dose of reality--especially the claim that the transplanted wolves are a different "subspecies" that is somehow more predatory.

As you no doubt know, the various "subspecies" of gray/timber/etc. wolves so often quoted were developed back when subspecies were declared due to minor differences in a few individual specimens. There is NO difference in the DNA of any of the gray/timber/etc. wolves in North America, or their way of making a living. All of them primarily live by killing big game (contrary to the myth promoted by Farley Mowat). None are more "bloodthirsty" than other so-called subspecies.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
atse,

Thanks for the dose of reality--especially the claim that the transplanted wolves are a different "subspecies" that is somehow more predatory.

As you no doubt know, the various "subspecies" of gray/timber/etc. wolves so often quoted were developed back when subspecies were declared due to minor differences in a few individual specimens. There is NO difference in the DNA of any of the gray/timber/etc. wolves in North America, or their way of making a living. All of them primarily live by killing big game (contrary to the myth promoted by Farley Mowat). None are more "bloodthirsty" than other so-called subspecies.

I have looked at a couple of old books from the early 1900s showing wolf weights, measurements and pictures taken from the last of the livestock killing wolves of the era. The size and weight listed are very similar to the wolves here now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
atse,

MD, I don't think anyone here has said that the "new" wolves were a different subspecies....or at least I have never seen where someone on here has said that.
They've always been described as different clines of the same species, like brown and grizzly bears, though I have no idea if brown and griz have different DNA. Do Alberta Whitetails have any difference in their DNA than south Texas Whitetails?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass: I honestly don't know.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by atse
A few thoughts from 18 years of hunting wolves as a gvt trapper in montana. Wolves have indeed affected elk populations in certain areas. Yellowstone park, the Sellway wilderness, and the Frank Church wilderness come to mind. I am sure there are a few others as well. The Sellway, and Frank have lost well over half their elk numbers from the early 90s. The wolves don't get hunted with much success in these remote areas. The hunting season in Montana has been removing from 200 to 225 wolves a year for the last 4 or 5 years. Pretty similar numbers in idaho. This has been a good sucess, and has slowed the overall growth. Elk numbers in much of Montana have been at over fwp numbers for years. We have large numbers of elk that never leave the pivots. They are protected there, and it is a giant food plot. I would live there too. The wolves down here today are the same wolves as the past, not a different breed. They have been going back and forth across the Canadian border since forever. We killed a wolf one time that had a GPS collar put on it near Calgary alberta. It went 500 miles in a month eventually setting up shop west of helena. Removing wolves from an area will not be a permanent solution. Once a pack is removed, New wolves will move into good habitat within 6 months to a year. I have a couple places that I have removed 3 or 4 packs due to livestock depredations. Don't blame it all on wolves. The last 2 winters here in western Montana have been rough, especially on the mule deer,and winter kill was high especially on
the Rocky mnt front. Lion numbers are really high,and between them, and grizzly, and black bears, fawn , and calf crops are being heavily impacted in some areas. Hope some of this info helps clarify some questions.

Great info, thanks

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
T Inman,

Nobody here has specifically said that, but some of the more virulent anti-wolf people continue to claim the transplants were the "MacKenzie River subspecies," which they say is far more predatory than the "native" Montana (or Idaho or whatever) wolves.

In one of my earlier posts I called the wolf transplants "stupid," for two reasons:

As you have pointed out, wolves are very mobile, and Canadian wolves had already moved south into Montana and Idaho from Canada. (In fact the wolves in my particular part of Montana are probably from the Canadian population, not the transplants, though the spread of both populations is meeting around here.)

The biologists who promoted the Yellowstone reintroduction believed the wolves would primarily eat bison, solving one of the long-running biological/poltical problems in the park. While some wolves did eventually start to kill bison, most killed elk.

Grizzly./brown bear DNA is identical, and in fact grizzly/polar bear DNA is so similar they can interbreed and produce fertile offspring--which has been happening amore in recent years, as the populations of overlap more.

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Yes and the scientists that thought the wolves would feed on bison really did not do their homework.

It seems to take ( scientific term 😉 ) wolves a long time to adapt to and figure out bison ( plus get hungry enough I guess) . This was proven in the Wood Buffalo Park onthe NWT/Alberta border. I should know how long it took but it slips my mind

I DO know that the Wood Bison introduced into the Yukon still had not become wolf prey 30 + years after introduction .

Last edited by Lorne; 11/20/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for that explanation MD....so if costal browns and mountain griz have the exact same DNA but it is biologically accepted that they're "different" animals, I don't think it is out of the question to consider the northern Rocky Mountain wolf "different" than the northwestern (Mackenzie Valley) wolf which I believe inhabits northern Alberta where the transplants came from, but who knows how/if their habits or niches evolved differently or how those differing niches would have affected elk differently in the lower 48.

Like I said in my first post in this thread, there's so much misinformation and uncertainty out there that I can't make heads or tails of the whole situation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know blast from the past have been popular around here lately....... this is from 2009

Brad
Campfire Oracle

Ya how they initially sold wolves to us was they wouldn't leave Yellowstone cuz there was an over-abundance of bison

That's not what I remember...

Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff atse. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lonny
Good stuff atse. Thanks for sharing.

+1

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
wolves= i think many people today want to over protect animals they no nothing about,like wolves.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Like I said in my first post in this thread, there's so much misinformation and uncertainty out there that I can't make heads or tails of the whole situation.

I'm with T regarding this wolf "problem" and decreasing game numbers and such..

No one did stringent population determinations of wolves/elk/deer back in the "olden days" when wolves numbers started being reduced from historical numbers to where they were when re-introduced.

Perhaps the numbers of elk and other big game animals were artificially high during the heyday of elk hunting in the Rocky Mountain West.....due to large numbers of predators having been removed previously, not to mention wildland management practices (logging etc) that might have favored an artificially increased population of grazers/browsers.

Seems like 20+/- years or so ago I read an article/study about the numbers of abalone on the California coast having been inflated due to the removal of their top predator, the seas otter. So much so that folks could easily collect them wading out to rocks in the intertidal areas of Central and Northern Cali. After 50+ years of this, abalone numbers dropped, even in areas where no otters had been introduced. The introduction of a substitute predator, humans that is, likely dropped the population of abalone back to more historical levels and abalone again were subjected to predation only by diving predators, like humans in wet suits.

The uncertainty is certainly large when discussing elk/wolves and probably many other predator/prey situations.

I'm of the belief that the wolves would have returned to the Rockies "naturally", especially if given protection from hunting. And probably spread from there to OR and CA. Am I happy about them coming to my part of the world? Not necessarily, unless they can put a big dent in the feral horse population. Hard enough here to draw deer/elk tags and if the wolf arrival would mean lower game numbers it might make it nigh on impossible to draw in these NE Cali units.

Geno

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

A well regulated hunt by sporstman and woman would end the problem if U.S.Fish and Wildlife would do their jobs

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by savage62
if U.S.Fish and Wildlife would do their jobs

I'm no fan of some of the people and policies the DOI and DOA, but have you been to any public meetings or court hearings concerning environmental matters of these types?

The USFWS are doing their jobs for the most part, which is to follow policy and whatever the most recent court rulings tell them to do...the level of controversy is ridiculous, and whenever any type of decision is made favoring "our" side, it is instantly met with lawsuits.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Where I live in central Idaho there were many more wolves reintroduced there than were in Yellowstone. During the first years after the reintroduction the elk kill by wolves was high which was easily told by the number of carcasses.
Also the number of livestock kills was very high which continues to be a problem -
https://www.postregister.com/farman...c46554b-f37d-592c-b2da-182826a9f4da.html

I live in the heart of some prime elk country and it is easy to see when there is a pack nearby because I will have elk and deer in abundance near the house and outbuildings, they will stay near night and day until the wolves are gone, this is not uncommon you can see the same throughout central Idaho. So yes, at least in this area the elk have learned that they are less likely to be bothered by the wolves if they are near human habitations.

In the first years of the wolf reintroduction, before there was a hunting season for them, I had wolves come right up to my deck steps during the night. It was common to see tracks through my place after a fresh snow, and quite often I would see them within a couple of hundred yards during the day. I have ridden to within 75 yards of them prior to having a hunting season, once hunting season was opened they became much more wary and I rarely see them or their tracks now. They adapt quickly.

Personally I don't mind having them around, my biggest gripe is that I haven't had a good shot at one since the season was opened on them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
This discussion is why I keep returning to the CF. Different views, experiences and knowledge exchanged for the benefit of all. Without vitriol and name calling. My thanks to all who have contributed. Hunting wolves has rekindled my love of hunting so I am trying to do my bitgrin

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
"Ask the Gunwriters" tends to be one of the more civilized forums on the Campfire. Some others--not so much....

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Civilized and well informed, what a concept for adult conversation!

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i too know when wolves are close to my hunting home in northern Minnesota the deer stay close to my house and the small woods,but those wolves won`t come up by the house. but the huge woods that runs over many many miles maybe 50 or 100 miles ? if you hear the wolves howling in early A.M. before light or see fresh wolf tracks in the snow you won`t see live deer in the big woods to much and if you happen to shoot a deer in evening you gotta take it out that night before the wolves or coyotes will eat that deer up, i have had that happen too.

Last edited by pete53; 11/22/19.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Not one person has mentioned the Elk Management plan as being problematic for elk populations in MT... much bigger issue than wolves IMO.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
the Montana mountains in the west do have a problem ,if the people who make these decisions to have a cow and calf early and long rifle season on private land and are able to take more than one cow or calf elk per person during this long extended season continues ,plus what the wolves kill .Montana will see way less elk available for hunting because the population will be very low. elk are being managed thru politics to keep the ranchers and wolf lovers happy not the hunters who pays for wildlife . the reason fewer elk are in the mountains is the cattle have over grazed public land and with wolves too in the mountains its safer and more food for elk on ranchers land but not all that land is ranchers land either some of it is public land like school sections that do not have any legal excess to this public land.as far as i am concern somehow this needs to change in a peaceful manner, hunters who are buying regular elk and deer licenses to hunt on state and federal land are the ones being robbed on being able to have a good elk hunt. so if your a politician,rancher or even higher up in management working for Montana DNR or rich and own 1,000 `s of acres of land and keep it posted shame on all of you > your the biggest problem !

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Confirmation Bias

Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that affirms one's prior beliefs or hypotheses. It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning.

Sampling Bias

In statistics, sampling bias is a bias in which a sample is collected in such a way that some members of the intended population have a lower sampling probability than others.

Recall Bias

In epidemiological research, recall bias is a systematic error caused by differences in the accuracy or completeness of the recollections retrieved by study participants regarding events or experiences from the past.

Publication Bias

Publication bias is a type of bias that occurs in published academic research. It occurs when the outcome of an experiment or research study influences the decision whether to publish or otherwise distribute it.

These are just as few Bias's. Bias is human error. Now add to that variables. There are many variables when studying wolves. Weather patterns change year to year, disease's come and go year to year. Landscape change, and a list of others that all need to be taken into account.

However it is undeniable that Wolves have had a major impact on ungulates. A 100+ pound animal needs to eat. Wolves are Carnivore's so that means hunting and scavenging. Both of which require a large amount of ground to be covered. Which requires energy, energy = food = animals!

Wolves are not the only Problem, but they are a Problem. They need to be managed and managing wolves is no easy task. Or should I say cheap task either, collaring and shooting requires helicopter time. That is not cheap!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

I’m all ears...

Your all ass.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Brads a liberal sack of shït he has been good at hiding it lately but he’s no friend of a conservative red blooded Americe.
He’s an Elitist sack of shït. One of the 28 lmfao.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by fredIII

Brads a liberal sack of shït he has been good at hiding it lately but he’s no friend of a conservative red blooded Americe.
He’s an Elitist sack of shït. One of the 28 lmfao.

Brad can tell us first hand why wolves do not affect game populations. Come on Brad show your ass and tell us all what a liberal pos you are

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
Not one person has mentioned the Elk Management plan as being problematic for elk populations in MT... much bigger issue than wolves IMO.

I would agree with this.....bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
According to hunters in my home town in Lincoln County Montana, moose have been decimated.

The unit here in Idaho, where I have hunted for 28 years, has seen a noticeable change in elk behavior. Fewer small bands of 8-12. They tend to herd up into 1 or 2 large herds, these days.

Last edited by 280shooter; 11/23/19.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Park county Wyoming where I live and have hunted for twenty years has experienced all the statements in the previous posts. I would like to add a little observations from my perspective.
The feds lied all the way through their process about wolves. They continue lying.
My little area of the Beartooths is devoid now of elk, deer and moose. Used to be about forty head of mule deer does, now there is none. Moose sightings were common as were elk. None
I used to bear hunt there, havnt seen a black bear track for five years. I hunt bears in Montana now.
Between grizzlys and wolves this area is cleaned out.
We did see five moose in Sunlight drainage this past September!!!!! A decent bull, cow and calf plus two yearlings. Very nice to see.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Park county Wyoming where I live and have hunted for twenty years has experienced all the statements in the previous posts. I would like to add a little observations from my perspective.
The feds lied all the way through their process about wolves. They continue lying.
My little area of the Beartooths is devoid now of elk, deer and moose. Used to be about forty head of mule deer does, now there is none. Moose sightings were common as were elk. None
I used to bear hunt there, havnt seen a black bear track for five years. I hunt bears in Montana now.
Between grizzlys and wolves this area is cleaned out.
We did see five moose in Sunlight drainage this past September!!!!! A decent bull, cow and calf plus two yearlings. Very nice to see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by BWalker

I would agree with this.....bob

Agree^^^^^^
Unfortunately elk are a political football in Montana and always come out on the short end..... and us hunters also come up short, they love our money though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This article is about as spot on as I can find and comes direct from the former cheif of USFW

https://montanapioneer.com/non-nati...CBXrhVJy-nk843d2ijzd_kNkgHk-Erw4X8AOhJvA

Last edited by Strick9; 11/26/19.

[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
This article is about as spot on as I can find and comes direct from the former cheif of USFW

https://montanapioneer.com/non-nati...CBXrhVJy-nk843d2ijzd_kNkgHk-Erw4X8AOhJvA

Great read thanks for sharing

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah, here we get it again--the claim that the wolves in the one small area of Alberta are FAR more bloodthirsty than the "original" wolves found in Montana--despite the fact that Lewis and Clark saw wolves preying constantly on bison, which apparently the transplants did not do in Yellowstone for many years--instead preferring elk. Eventually one pack learned to kill bison, but it took several years.

One basic biological fact is that large mammals tend to grow larger further north of the equator, until above the Arctic Circle,where the growing season is much shorter and food less available. This is Bergman's Rule, which not only applies to predators like wolves and grizzly bears, but prey animals such as elk, moose, deer, etc. It occurs because more body mass allows animals to stay warmer during longer, colder winters--and also occurs, for the same reason, at higher elevations further south. The larger average size of the Canadian wolves was not due to anything inherent in their "subspecies" (there is no difference in the DNA of the Canadian wolves) but their environment, just as "brown" bears are larger than inland grizzlies because of their seasonal salmon diet.

Beers was NOT the "head of USFWS," but Chief of National Wildlife Refuge Operations.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
MD: So you are OK with the illegal misuse of Pitman-Robertson Funds? Thanks for explaining Bergman's Rule. No sarcasm intended.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
As JB states animals tend to get bigger the farther North you go. But these wolves in Montana idaho, and Wypming, don't var I much from the original weights and lengths of the original wolves killed here a century ago. At best there might be a 10% weight increase. One of the problems is that wolves look huge when being held up. As a result, the wolfs weight is greatly inflated. A 100lb wolf is huge, and only about 10% of wolves reach that size. They simply don't live long enough,or have the genetics to reach that size. Only a very few percent grow bigger than that. I once killed a 124lb wolf . It was weighed 6 hours after I shot it by fwp. That wolf was an absolute monster. Hunters have killed a couple more of that size the last 4 years. I know that a couple of wolves in Yellowstone that were collared weighed about 135 lbs. There was also a huge wolf removed in a livestock depredations in idaho that weighed 140 lbs. That is the biggest I have heard of. Killings a wolf over120lbs is about like killing a 400" bull elk on public ground. It is doable but doesnt haopen very often. If hunters weighed the wolves they shot I bet most would overestimate the weights by 30% to 40%.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bobmn,

I think the whole transplanting episode was a CF from the beginning, for all sorts of reasons--some of which I've already pointed out, such as the fact that the American biologists (who apparently had little or no experience with wolves) were somehow convinced the Yellowstone transplants would concentrate on bison, and not elk.

They were similarly convinced that they'd have to keep planting wolves for years, to build up the population--a notion that soon ended when the wolf population started increasing quickly, due to all the fine nutrition from the elk they ate. This despite the Canadian biologists (who had plenty of experience with wolves) telling them wolves would quickly reproduce and spread.

The Canadians also advised the U.S. contingent NOT to transplant wolves, partly because of the consequent political headaches. This also proved to be true, partly because so-called agreement on how to manage the new wolves was constantly contested in the courts by pro-wolf organizations, some of which had agreed to the basic terms of the transplanting. Some of this no doubt occurred because the pro-wolf people bought the U.S. biologists belief that wolves would always be relatively rare.

But I also grow weary of wolves (or other predators) being blamed for every downturn in big game populations. As noted earlier, Lewis and Clark found the plains full of game--and wolves. The only place they encountered a relative lack of big game (and wolves) was around Fort Mandan, in what is now North Dakota, where they spent the winter on the trip up the Missouri. This because the local tribes were settled farmers, who did not follow the bison herds like horse-culture plains Indians. Instead they hunted around home, which almost cleared the surrounding country of big game--especially after L&C hunted with them early in the winter. As soon as the expedition left the next spring, they again encountered vast numbers of big game--and wolves.

Then there's the claim that the transplanted wolves were more aggressive killers. The moose in both Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks almost disappeared at about the same time, due to wolf predation. But there were no wolf transplants in Glacier, or anywhere close. Instead the Glacier wolves had naturally repopulated the Park by immigrating south from Canada. The results were pretty much identical to Yellowstone's, partly because neither park's moose had even seen a wolf before.

But in my hunting travels have seen plenty of examples of high big game populations where wolves were also abundant. Perhaps the most memorable example occurred in 2002 in northern British Columbia, where there were so many moose I killed a big bull just about a day after I started hunting--the 13th legal bull seen. This was because a forest fire had burned the area about a decade earlier, and the valleys had grown up in perfect moose browse. As a result there were plenty of wolves--and grizzlies. (There were also plenty of elk. I killed a 6x6, again only one of a number seen throughout the hunt.)

I also believe that instead of worrying so much about wolves, American hunters in the West should worry more about chronic wasting disease, which has a far greater potential for destroying our big game.

In one of the more interesting twists, some biologists believe wolves could be one of the reasons CWD is spreading, since they can eat infected animals and introduce the prions into the wild during their wanderings.

However, there are a couple of sidelights to this. First, CWD has also shown up where there aren't any wolves, and here in Montana, elk infected with CWD are rare compared to CWD-infected deer, even though elk hang out in larger herds, which should increase infection rates. But if wolves do prove to be a CWD vector, various agencies may get serious about reducing wolf numbers--and just as important, be able to actually do something about it, despite the pro-wolf faction.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MD,

Glad to see you point that out, Eagles are also possibly thought to be a vector for CWD.

Currently research is showing a specific genome that is possibly already existing or is becoming resistant to CWD.

I tend to follow Kroll on his thoughts as to CWD and I do understand that some say he is biased.

However massing the research that has been accumulated on CWD from both sides of the fence, I don't put much "fear" into the fact that it will be the end all of our Cervids. Our leading big game wildlife biologist of whom I worked under for several years says that we will most certainly know CWD's full effect in the next 3-5 years and that either the fear will be validated or in his opine, likely not due to the short life span and high reproductivity of Cervids in parallel with adaptation.

Either way , it is something to definitely consider both long and short term.

When it comes right down to it, I am for protecting hunter recruitment, hunting heritage and hunter driven economy via proper and aggressive management for optimum sustained hunter harvest, not foot holding the anti hunters with their new found anti hunting silver bullet called protected predator re introduction.

[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 3,090 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.