G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Etoh
Originally Posted by 19352012
Better living through chemistry

Not near enough said in this area.

Most of the "supplements" available for outstanding old peoples youth look are not affordable. Unless you are a Hollywood type or at least in the six figure category.

Growth Hormone shots $1000 a month
Hormone replacement creams, pills, etc. from $200 to $600 a month.
Botox shots for cosmetic contour $100 - $200 a month

this isn't considering the foods, and nutritional supplements and in a lot of cases the professional training counseling.

HGH...human growth hormone....its a magic fountain of youth here. I hit the local gym 4x per week along with my wife. You see 65-75 year old guys built like Tarzan, tearing it up on the weights and treadmills like they were 25-30 years old. It's expensive here...about $1500 a month prescribed by a doc. Got a gym buddy that can almost keep up with me on the weights. Almost...but hes 87 years old. Crazy.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB4

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I weigh less than i did in high school.

Not by choice i can tell you.

Just don't have the muscles that i did back then,much less two years ago.

Waiting for a few weeks before i can start doing stuff to try to get some back.

After this i still won't be able to run for nothing.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think aside from good genes, which matter more than anything else, it's prolonged bad habits. Eating too much, or too little, too much alcohol, smoking, etc. By the time you're in your 60's, a lot of people have at least 40 years of abuse. I have found that limit strength, particularly in large muscles, doesn't suffer as much as endurance, recovery, small muscle control/strength and balance. As a strength competitor into my late 50's, I had occasion to keep track of stuff. At 65, I do notice deterioration. Graduated from HS at 127 pounds, with a 275 raw bench. Started competing again at 44. 137 pounds, 305 bench. 46, I was 148 pounds, 325 raw bench, 385 geared. 48, saw 165 pounds, 360 raw, 445 geared. 50, was where I made the most gains. 188 pounds, 425 raw, 700 geared. 55, 171 pounds, 355 raw, 520 geared. 58, 177 pounds, 340 raw, 530 geared. I didn't compete much raw, actually, and didn't work on it much. Pre Covid, (haven't worked out in a month) 65 years old, 176 pounds, 345 raw, 535 geared. Largely living on technique, now. I'm definitely not as strong as i used to be.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My parts do not work as well as they used to. There is also considerable pain in several areas. I have learned my linitations. Food intake reduced as well as alcohol intake.

There are things I should just not do!!! And for the things that must be done, I just take my time.

Not really all that old, just wore out.

It ain’t the years, it’s the miles!

Yeah, 16 miles per day with a 50 lb pack used to be "fun".

16 miles round trip /overnight to Crescent Lake cabin (with a mere 30 lbs, for a mere $75 USFScabin fee) the last two days, on top of that float trip last week has me thinking......

I think my wife doesn't want me aging anymore..... smile

Last edited by las; 05/13/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of running, how many of us could run for help or TO help? Seems a basic sort of ability to try and keep. Doesn’t have to be a mile, prob’ly being able to run just 400 yards would be useful.

Years ago in New Mexico when he was still in high school my son’s friend had a medical emergency at 10,000 ft., I needed to hustle back to camp, not a good feeling to realize I couldn’t.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The only two things that work right on me are:
1). My TV remote finger
2). My Bourbon drinking hand.

Other than that, I'm SOL.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
HGH...human growth hormone....its a magic fountain of youth here.

You are more likely seeing the benefits of Testosterone than HGH. Even TRT levels of Test make big differences in ability to build muscle, energy, endurance, etc.

Regardless, all of the “male health” clinics that have sprung up in the last few years are charging a premium for putting people on gear that typical doctors won’t. No different from the pain clinics.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

By FAR the best thing an average person can do as they age is STRETCH! Simple to do, takes only a few minutes and makes massive differences in evreything from strength, balance and endurance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
STRETCH!

Yoga has unfortunately gotten an effeminate reputation but it is excellent for that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have made gobs of bad choices but the good ones about staying tough and fit- so glad about. I realized when I was young I couldn't smoke or chew and climb mountains, bad horses etc.
Broke a pile of bones, many trips to Old Sawbone's and patched up.
Of course I hurt now with arthritis, but still pretty much doing the same thing.
Covid might save lives if it keeps people out of fast food joints and the bastard deep fryer.
A touch of xxx whiskey does loosen a guy up sometimes

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are things I should just not do!!! And for the things that must be done, I just take my time.

Wise words, Bob.

Three strokes have really messed up my ability to enjoy hunting the way I would like to so I screwed a drive-in carhop tray to the door of my Jeep. Makes an excellent rest for the ol' Model 70. Bang flop if I do my part.

Haven't seen any pretty girls on roller skates tho' . laugh

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm not in the shape I would like to be! I'm still lean and walk daily! I carry a comfortable pack with 40# in it! Running is out of the question, run a mile and my knee begins to ache. Sometimes the ache lasts for a couple days! I crushed the knee and it pushed the knee cap off, broke bones a created a muscle hernia, on the front of my lower leg! When I was 28 years old, 41 years ago. I never liked the weight lifting, never cared for the bulk! Swimming and endurance work outs for me! This morning I had five miles in before breakfast, and will do another couple miles in the evening, unless i start a project around the house! I graduated high school at 148# and weighted 162# yesterday. Eat good keep moving and keep the fluids coming! I stay away from any supplements, such as listed above. Grazing instead of large meals would help most people I'm aquainted with , no matter the age. Everyone has their own outlook this is mine!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Wise words, Bob.

Three strokes have really messed up my ability to enjoy hunting the way I would like to so I screwed a drive-in carhop tray to the door of my Jeep. Makes an excellent rest for the ol' Model 70. Bang flop if I do my part.

Haven't seen any pretty girls on roller skates tho' . laugh

Just keep on hunting!!!!! 😉

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Stickfight
your talking growth hormone releasing factor, Sermoralin, not Novartis injectable.

No, I don’t mean Sermorelin, I mean the actual HGH Somatropin. It isn’t produced by Novartis but I don’t see how that is relevant.

People enjoy paying doctors for things they can do themselves I’m sure, but they choose to do that.

Novartis/Sandoz holds the patent,, if your getting those kind of prices it shet out of China with no manufacturing genealogy. You don't see how its relevant because your not in the medical business.

Im talking about improving the health and quality of life for men and woman, andropause and menopause, along with other hormone deficiency, not just looking good at the gym.

If you want to start at the top, start with thyroid, all lab stats will give you levels for your age group, which is pure horse sheet, you want the levels of a 30 year old. apples to all hormones.

testosterone is best in the uncongugated , non-injectable and non time release. oral route is destroyed by first pass liver degradation and bio-available creams are better.
it reduces insulin resistance and is anti-stress. and depending on the amounts and the person, the estrogenic effects of conversion can be modified by aromatase inhibitors. Another advantage to T therapy is decreased bone fragility.

But by far and away the greatest advantage to T therapy is its conversion to estradiol which is cardioprotective and reduces cholesterol and the lipids across the board.

So if your one of those folks who think when its gone it doesn't come back, please remember this when you are on that operating table, wondering if its only going to be a stent or a bypass. you have only yourself to blame.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Better living through chemistry....

starts with remembering that food is composed of chemicals. Mind you, I know absolutely nothing about the details of the chemistry (save perhaps that you could use something like 17-alpha methyltestosterone to get testosterone past the stomach, and it's cheap), but I do know that the body reacts to food, to activities, to stress, and that many of the changes we ascribe to age are as much a consequence of age related changes in diet, behavior and environment than the aging process itself.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
not getting absorbed is not the problem. (past the stomach) it goes through the metabolic route in the liver before the drug target areas. The synthetic androbolics are not used in hormone replacement therapy because of this and toxicology problems

in the same manner, its the same for progesterone in women, medroxyprogesterone, causes ovarian cancer. (Provera)

the chemical groups were added to the basic molecule to take it longer to be metabolized, thus giving it a longer biological half life.,, and most importantly , to make it patentable.

yes you are correct--- consequence of are related changes in diet, behavior and environment than the aging process . which are caused by reductions in hormone levels. (both diet and behavior) are a result-- of not a cause of.

Last edited by Etoh; 05/13/20.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
But by far and away the greatest advantage to T therapy is its conversion to estradiol which is cardioprotective and reduces cholesterol and the lipids across the board.

So if your one of those folks who think when its gone it doesn't come back, please remember this when you are on that operating table, wondering if its only going to be a stent or a bypass. you have only yourself to blame.

So if I don’t take testosterone I’m gonna croak from a heart attack.

I guess I’m OK with that.

Meanwhile I’ll flog myself, trying to keep what I got the old-fashioned way. I never thought I was gonna live forever.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,934
Posts18,479,981
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.