Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm looking at a 12 gauge single shot for a short gun for rainy days in a blind or to carry it in the truck as back up to my autoloader.

This will also serve as my farm truck skunk & beaver gun when not turkey hunting.

Or should I just save my shoulder and go 20 gauge?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You can buy light 7/8oz loads of 6s for a 12 that take some of the ouch out for farm and truck duty. And a pullover "Limbsaver" recoil pad is a great investment.

I love 20s but a 12 is a MUCH more versatile shotgun--all kinds of loads for all kinds of situations ("kills from ducks to Dukes" as a Serbian guide I once had said.). And SOMETHING that goes bang is always available--even in an "ammo drought".

My experience of shooting deer and piggies with a light 12 (Ithaca M-37 "Deerslayer") is that the pain only comes when you are sighting in. Adrenaline takes the pain out of an actual kill shot. Doubt that turkeys are very different.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep i got a 12 single shot loaded ready in my shed with a 7 1/2 trap load if i need something bigger i head for the garage for my 22 K-Hornet to kill critters. but not all 12 gauge single shot shotguns have a lot of recoil my Perazzi has very little recoil. i also have a 16 1/4 inch barrel 12 gauge single shot i painted white that i ported for nite time critter callin that is still a beast with 3 inch lead BB magnum with recoil. but the shotgun with the most recoil i own is a Savage 220 bolt / slug gun 20 gauge that will has just nasty recoil to shoot .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You looking for a used gun or a new one? If new, Henrys look really nice and they are heavy enough that the weight alone should help with felt recoil.

I see quite a few used single shots on the used rack at my LGS. Sunday at Green Top in Richmond Virginia, they had a variety of older single shots. Some old Savage Stevens that were in good shape, a Winchester that had a nice bore but was a was a bit rough on the exterior, and an old H&R Topper Model 48 in pretty damned good shape. All were under $200 except the Winchester.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
12 ga with a 3" turkey load in a single shot does not sound like a lot of fun to me.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
You looking for a used gun or a new one? If new, Henrys look really nice and they are heavy enough that the weight alone should help with felt recoil.

I see quite a few used single shots on the used rack at my LGS. Sunday at Green Top in Richmond Virginia, they had a variety of older single shots. Some old Savage Stevens that were in good shape, a Winchester that had a nice bore but was a was a bit rough on the exterior, and an old H&R Topper Model 48 in pretty damned good shape. All were under $200 except the Winchester.

Looking at Stevens 301 in the turkey model. Do the choke tubes, red dot, and a flashlight mount for skunk duty.
You can't find cheap H&R or NEF single shots anymore and those 301's come set up well.
(Yes I know they are made in China)

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pullit
12 ga with a 3" turkey load in a single shot does not sound like a lot of fun to me.

Yes.. I was looking on line for lighter payload 12 gauge Non-toxic loads that would be down in 20 gauge range. I hunt federal land and have non-toxic requirements. Didn't really find anything.

Last edited by humdinger; 12/05/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 301s are still nice guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.hevishot.com/upland/hevi-hammer-dove/30-HS29137.html

Would these work? If not they build an Upland load, bigger shot sizes.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/05/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had o e of those NEF single shot 12s, 3 1/2" chamber. Absolutely brutal with 1 1/4 Oz duck and pheasant loads.

What made it so bad was it was factory equipped with a high comb stock and was not drilled and tapped for a scope. Dumb move on their part.

Kept it in the shop for a bit but decided somebody else needed it worse than I did. Don't remember if I sold or traded it but good riddance for sure.

If I wanted a single shot it would be a 20 and even then you will know when it goes off with anything much more than a standard field load.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
https://www.hevishot.com/upland/hevi-hammer-dove/30-HS29137.html

Would these work? If not they build an Upland load, bigger shot sizes.

Tempting to look at them and try it.

I have some #7 federal non-toxic (can't remember the name) that I want to try. it was 15 g/cc load. I saw Kent sells a similar load with poor review.

I'm burning up hevishot 2 oz loads and they can be brutal in my franchi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 3" 12 gauge barreled H&R. It's a 22 incher with sights and would make a rambo turkey setup. But I just can't see going ahead and doing it as well as my single 20 works.

Having owned some VERY stout recoilers.........if I did do it
..... a Limbsaver recoil pad on the hind end would be numero uno.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Been using a Winchester 37 12 ga for a couple years now after getting tired of carrying a Browning A5 around. Don't feel like I'm giving anything up as a turkey gun

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blairvt
Been using a Winchester 37 12 ga for a couple years now after getting tired of carrying a Browning A5 around. Don't feel like I'm giving anything up as a turkey gun

That same quest had me buying a Henry .410, then a CZ 20ga O/U, then a Browning Gold Hunter 20, and somewhere in there I decided I needed a Citori 725, albeit mostly for clays. Meanwhile, an impulse purchase put a Mossberg 590 tacticool pump in my hands, and it’s close to as heavy as my A5 was, but is shorter, has a sight rail, swivels, and can be taped or painted. Actually it’s pretty handy if I don’t fill up the magazine, so it’ll get a turn anyway.

Meanwhile, the guy with one do-it-all shotgun now has five, not including the one he started with, which went down the road to help pay for the O/U.

Hard to beat a 12 for utility. Shells from 1 3/4” to 3”, payloads as light or heavy as you want.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by blairvt

That same quest had me buying a Henry .410, then a CZ 20ga O/U, then a Browning Gold Hunter 20, and somewhere in there I decided I needed a Citori 725, albeit mostly for clays. Meanwhile, an impulse purchase put a Mossberg 590 tacticool pump in my hands, and it’s close to as heavy as my A5 was, but is shorter, has a sight rail, swivels, and can be taped or painted. Actually it’s pretty handy if I don’t fill up the magazine, so it’ll get a turn anyway.

Meanwhile, the guy with one do-it-all shotgun now has five, not including the one he started with, which went down the road to help pay for the O/U.

Hard to beat a 12 for utility. Shells from 1 3/4” to 3”, payloads as light or heavy as you want.

My 725 would be my best turkey gun, but i don't want to mess it up. Both barrels shoot to the same point at 40 yards.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
So guys...

I want a 12 gauge for skunk & beaver duty, but want a 20 gauge for turkey duty.

These steven's 301's are $199.....

Should I just buy one of each????

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go for it. They might be made in China, but they get good reviews.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You could if you want both. I don't think a skunk or beaver that is shot at a decent range would be able to tell the difference. I can tell you for a fact, the turkeys I have killed with a 12 ga are just as dead as the ones I have shot with a 20 ga.

That is the great part of being a gun nut and living in America, we can choose either or both.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
You could if you want both. I don't think a skunk or beaver that is shot at a decent range would be able to tell the difference. I can tell you for a fact, the turkeys I have killed with a 12 ga are just as dead as the ones I have shot with a 20 ga.

That is the great part of being a gun nut and living in America, we can choose either or both.

I'm testing if you guys are enablers or not. ;-)

Side story: I use #2 lead 12 ga on beavers because it pattern much better than buck shot... and I get it free. I have a friend that works at a landfill and they get people bringing in old ammo and he brings it to the gun club to shoot up and saves tax payer dollars. I don't get as much 20 gauge heavy though.

Still debating. I probably have forgotten the pain from my last shoulder injury..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We're enablers.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My second shoulder surgery was enough to convince me, to stop shooting the heavy pounders.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

👆

I'll double down on this, right here. Yep.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
My second shoulder surgery was enough to convince me, to stop shooting the heavy pounders.

Good reminder...

A couple years ago I was trying a savage 24 in 12 gauge and that thing destroyed my shoulder and I bought my franchi 20 gauge to hunt with that spring.

You have convinced me a turkey only single shot will be 20 gauge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your shoulder gives you serious trouble.......you may wanna go .410 for turkey.

I have a healthy shoulder. And I've never been very recoil-sensitive. But a 3" turkey load in a single 20 is NOT your average pussycat. Especially if you have to twist out of position at all. My gun has a pretty good pad on it. But it's still fairly snappy on the hind end. Never did the actual math for free recoil. But I'd say it's close to the same as a 9 pound .300 Magnum.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Yoder409
If your shoulder gives you serious trouble.......you may wanna go .410 for turkey.

I have a healthy shoulder. And I've never been very recoil-sensitive. But a 3" turkey load in a single 20 is NOT your average pussycat. Especially if you have to twist out of position at all. My gun has a pretty good pad on it. But it's still fairly snappy on the hind end. Never did the actual math for free recoil. But I'd say it's close to the same as a 9 pound .300 Magnum.

That's food for thought. The local retailer has a stevens 301 in 20 and 410 on the rack... and some 410 tss loads

Looking at the TSS ammo on the shelf.. I saw
410 @ 13/16 oz (vel 1100 fps)
20 @ 5/8 oz (vel 1000 fps)
12 gauge 3 inch @ 1 3/4 oz. (vel 1200 fps)

Thats not much of a step down from 12 to 20

Although looking at physics impulse momentum equations of MxV = MxV would say that 12 gauge load will be stouter because of the higher velocity and mass.

I just dont know if I can do the 410 though.

The shoulder recovered and I went back to a 12 gauge last season. Mostly because I have a lot of 12 gauge shells and will switch to 20 gauge when they deplete or old age gets me.

Last edited by humdinger; 12/06/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by humdinger

Why so ?? Just the thought of it ?? That a .410 just CAN'T be a turkey gun ??

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

Because Luther wouldn't respect me in the morning.

Not sure why... I see the 410's trend and it really only performs with TSS and I struggle with people using marginal lead shot loads and making poor judgment calls. Especially when they couldn't find TSS or any 410 loads and were shooting anything they could find.

Maybe its a little stunt shooting in my mind, but there is a lot of data that shows it works and those affordable 301's fuel the trend.

I'm thinking on it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
you are assuming he respects you now....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just for the record, I would have a hard time going to a 410 as well. I have seen birds killed first hand with a 410, but it took me a long time to go from 12 to 20....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Luther doesn't respecr ANYONE. Even when they know more about a subject than does he. He's proving that in several other Fire threads at this very moment and he's proven it time and again in this very turkey forum. 🤡

🤣🤣🤣

It ain't a big deal. Everyone who matters will respect your choice no matter what. 😉👍

I was also a skeptic when the .410 turkey craze began. But I'm open-minded and don't pretend to know everything. So, I did what any reasonable, thinking man woul do. I set one up and TRIED IT........with my own two hands.......my own two eyes.

You ARE right. A guy could do some really dumb and irresponsible stuff to a turkey using a .410, lead shot and zero restraint. The gun I set up is only a 30 yard gun with lead. NO MORE. Paper proves it. Don't under-estimate......carry a rangefinder.

But with #9 or #9.5 TSS........... 40 yards is responsibly do-able. But no more. Believe it.

If you were anywhere near me, I'd invite you to my back yard. I've got a patterning range set up 365 days a year (a guy never knows when a question will arise) and a lifetime supply of 30" paper. Be happy to let you settle the 20....410.....lead.....TSS "mystery" that escapes some.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yoder hit the hail on the head about the 410, restraint, is the key word. I guess that goes with about any shotgun when it comes to game, know your pattern and know your limits.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yoder hit the hail on the head about the 410, restraint, is the key word. I guess that goes with about any shotgun when it comes to game, know your pattern and know your limits.

👆

Carve that in a stone, somewhere.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I didn't believe #9 shot for turkey for a long time... until I tried it!

I'd like to try TSS out of my 56 cal smooth bore T/C, but figure the hardness of the shot wouldn't be too good for the barrel.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I didn't believe #9 shot for turkey for a long time... until I tried it!

I'd like to try TSS out of my 56 cal smooth bore T/C, but figure the hardness of the shot wouldn't be too good for the barrel.

No way to load it in a shot cup? Isn't 28 Gauge .55 caliber? Some buffered #9 in a 28 gauge wad over some BP wouldn't work? Sorry, I don't use BP shotguns so maybe it's not plausible.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/06/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
if you're not just bs shooting one shell after
another for fun, a 12 single would serve you
well enough (as long as the price was right)
i use mixed NEF/H&R guns for everything
with no problems
The cheapest was $50.00 at a pawn shop
some years ago. I've killed deer and assorted
small game and varmints with it

Unfortunately they're stupid priced now.
I'll be buying one of the 301 chinee models
if I ever need another

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where does everyone get the idea that you gotta have 3 1/2" ammo and #2 shot to kill a turkey?

I have killed numerous birds with plain Jane ol' #8 lead shot in standard 2 3/4" ammo.

It only takes one pellet to the brain or to disrupt the CNS to anchor a bird. Turkey bones are NOT made of steel!

"Pattern density kills, not shot size."

I want as dense a pattern as possible down range.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Lol! No one is saying #2 for turkey, that was for beaver!

I don't like plastic wads when using blackpowder, makes a real mess so the TSS shot would have contact with the barrel. Tried plastic wads when I started using my 10ga ML, what a mess! The wads melt and leave some nasty stringy residue. Takes a lot of cleaning to get rid of it all.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't like plastic wads when using blackpowder, makes a real mess so the TSS shot would have contact with the barrel. Tried plastic wads when I started using my 10ga ML, what a mess! The wads melt and leave some nasty stringy residue. Takes a lot of cleaning to get rid of it all.

I've got no experience with ML shotguns so didn't know that. I was wondering since I shoot plastic sabots in my ML rifles and it's kind of the same principle.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/06/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

I've got no experience with ML shotguns so didn't know that. I was wondering since I shoot plastic sabots in my ML rifles and it's kind of the same principle.

Do you remember moly coated bullets?
Spray the wad exterior with that and it may reduce sticking.

I'd try PTFE mold release spray also. That's high temp capable Teflon lubricant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might be an idea here.............

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've shot in-line rifles using plastic sabots as well, never an issue with them like I was getting in the shotgun. So they must be of a different type of plastic. Don't have the 10ga anymore, was before this internet thing where you could go to look for answers... lol! Remember?! Back when we either read it from a book or figured it out ourselves...

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a solution to this issue. You just don't know what it is yet. When you do and let everyone else know, you'll be internet-famous.

And there has to be a solution. There has to be a plastic wad that won't melt. I'm sitting here fiddling with Hornady 12 gauge black plastic sabot for a .50 caliber slug. The never melt. They sit on top of a white plastic wad that is directly over the powder. I've picked them up off the ground after shooting and they look fine and there is no plastic residue in the bore. So there is something out there that can work.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/07/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I know Knight offers plastic wad cups for their in-line shotgun, but those are 12 gauge. When I was really into ML shotgunning, with the 10ga, I had one cabinet that was full of fiber wads, cardboard wads and the wool felt Wonder wads, those worked very well. I first noticed the issue with plastic wads on a goose hunt I was invited to that I was asked to use the 10ga. I cut open 10ga waterfowl shells to use the steel shot and wads for the hunt.

There may be wads for this now, wasn't back when, but haven't looked since I no longer have it.

NRA life member

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The solution is plastic shot cups and blackpowder don't mix well....not wanting to listen to people I tried them years ago in a 13 ga. William Powell sxs muzzle loader I had.

There was a little mess I could have worked around it but there was really no improvement in the pattern using the shot cup. It went from nothing to almost slug shooting.

I was using wads that were not slit and i was slitting them myself....no real improvement untill it started shooting too tight.

It takes choking to pattern consistanly at distance

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a quick perusal of the Modern Muzzloading forum shows a thread on the subject.

This one here:
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/muzzleloading-shotgun.6547/

The wads referred to in the thread:
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/28-gauge-wads/products/91/

If your ML is .56, it seems a 28 gauge (.550) wad would be appropriate. I can't image why the wad would melt using with BP of it doesn't over smokeless.

Anyways, good luck. It looks like a worthy project. Maybe you can successfuly work up a good TSS load for your ML.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Luther doesn't respecr ANYONE. Even when they know more about a subject than does he. He's proving that in several other Fire threads at this very moment and he's proven it time and again in this very turkey forum. 🤡

🤣🤣🤣

It ain't a big deal. Everyone who matters will respect your choice no matter what. 😉👍

I was also a skeptic when the .410 turkey craze began. But I'm open-minded and don't pretend to know everything. So, I did what any reasonable, thinking man woul do. I set one up and TRIED IT........with my own two hands.......my own two eyes.

You ARE right. A guy could do some really dumb and irresponsible stuff to a turkey using a .410, lead shot and zero restraint. The gun I set up is only a 30 yard gun with lead. NO MORE. Paper proves it. Don't under-estimate......carry a rangefinder.

But with #9 or #9.5 TSS........... 40 yards is responsibly do-able. But no more. Believe it.

If you were anywhere near me, I'd invite you to my back yard. I've got a patterning range set up 365 days a year (a guy never knows when a question will arise) and a lifetime supply of 30" paper. Be happy to let you settle the 20....410.....lead.....TSS "mystery" that escapes some.....

I don't respect your bogus azz for sure.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might could make yourself a caliber-sized paper tube
shot cup and line it with one of those mylar wraps that are used for loading shot types that are harder than steel.....

🤔

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Not sure why... I see the 410's trend and it really only performs with TSS and I struggle with people using marginal lead shot loads and making poor judgment calls. Especially when they couldn't find TSS or any 410 loads and were shooting anything they could find.

Maybe its a little stunt shooting in my mind, but there is a lot of data that shows it works and those affordable 301's fuel the trend.

I'm thinking on it.

I don't care what you shoot....most of the guys shooting 410s are blind sitters sitting over decoys spreads.

If you think that is turkey hunting there's no reason for me to try and convince anything different.

Truth was know YoderbOy is likely a blind sitter.....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Like all kids that grow up shooting, you used what was available, whether it was dad's, grandpa's, or... In my case, it was dad's single shot 16 gauge and a single shot bolt action 22LR. I was taught that with a single shot, to make the 1 shot count! And also, with a single shot shotgun, recoil was just part of the equation. Looking back, I think dad was just trying to slow down the amount of ammo I was shooting up with those 2 single shots! Lol! Fast forward a lot of years to today and I'm at 2 single shot shotguns. A 12ga 1st gen Winchester 101 Trap 34" top single and the little 20ga H&R I just picked up. With the shells/shot available today, I can't see a 12 being that much better than a 20 within the ranges we use this stuff for. Of course, it all depends on what you already have for shells and how much money you want to spend on any part of it. IMO, you can't go wrong with whichever one you choose.

NRA life member

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
YoderbOy who did you pro staff for again....was it Martha Stewart ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like all kids that grow up shooting, you used what was available,

A lot of folks still do, and sometimes just for the hell of it. The guy I shoot sporting clays with is an avid bird hunter. He took an old Mossberg bolt action .410, along with his nornal O/U, on a NC quail hunt. Even managed to score a few quail with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where the 12 really blows the 20 away is with coarse shot. Buckshot for defense (mostly) and steel for waterfowl. But in both cases......most guys are gonna pick a pump or auto gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A lot of folks still do, and sometimes just for the hell of it. The guy I shoot sporting clays with is an avid bird hunter. He took an old Mossberg bolt action .410, along with his nornal O/U, on a NC quail hunt. Even managed to score a few quail with it.

Now THERE'S a trooper !!! 😁

I own a grand total of ONE bolt shotgun. A Marlin Super Goose 10. I inherited it. Never shot it. Likely never will

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed. No way I'd hunt deer with 20 pellets of #3 buck out of a 20 gauge. Shot is too small and there's not enough of it. Buckshot is where the 12 gauge 3 1/2" really shines. 15-18 00 pellets at 1300-1450 fps. You pay for that in the shoulder. But it's deadly.

As far as sub gauges go, if you ever thought about getting into the 28 gauge, now is the time. Our big gun store in Virginia, Green Top near Richmond, is full of 28 gauge guns and ammo. Benelli SBE3s, O/Us of all makes, Browning BPS pumps, and just about every commerical load in 28 gauge. Can't find 20 gauge shells there. But there are mountains of 28 gauge.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Now THERE'S a trooper !!! 😁

I own a grand total of ONE bolt shotgun. A Marlin Super Goose 10. I inherited it. Never shot it. Likely never will

You can run into some weird puppies at a sporting clay range....

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LFC

I'm thinking on it.

I don't care what you shoot....most of the guys shooting 410s are blind sitters sitting over decoys spreads.

If you think that is turkey hunting there's no reason for me to try and convince anything different.

I am a blind sitter and use decoys.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Back to Shotgun wads...

Are they marked with the plastic type on bottom?

You can lookup the melting point or Vicant softening point online to see what the plastic differences are.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For the first time ever, looked around online about this. Results are the same as when looking for answers here on the "fire". Yes you can, no you can't, you're an idiot, no you're the idiot... lol! But looking in some of the bigger ML supply websites, none of them list anything plastic that I could find. I did find instances like I was dealing with, the wads melting. Guys even telling about instances where plastic hulls were melting as well after prolonged shooting. For me, it's a mute point as I no longer ML shotgun. But if I were to get back into it...

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe you'd have different results out of your .56 smoothbore versus what you got out of your 10 gauge.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Without a doubt! But I've always treated the 56 as more of a novelty, wasn't anything I wouldn't go after with the 10.

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I after reading a bit on T/C .56 Caliber smoothbore, it seems it's a T/C Renegade .54 with the rifling removed. Made back in the '70s when the ML seasons in some NE state only allowed smoothbores. So, it seems it's safe to assume the gun has a straight bore and no choke at all.

You need to create a shot-lock-like load for it. Seems like it could be a fun project to get a load that fires without damaging the bore, and holds together tight enough to be useful at reasonable ranges.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC

I'm thinking on it.

I'd go fow tin....

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC

I'm thinking on it.

I'd go fow tin....

Thank you for your recommendation and endorsement.

I will consider it.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You're welcome dinger....

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well now I have a dilemma....

I looked online at the store I'm going to buy the 301 from to see if they have a sale....

They do.
The 12 and 410 are on clearance for $160.
Nothing about the 20's.

So this tells me the 20 gauge is the big seller, but that's a heck of a deal to get a 410.
You couldn't find 410's or shells last spring.

It this the temptation to try the 410?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe ??? 🙄😁

Are there .410 shells available where you're at ?? Lead loads ??

Lead loads are the hard ones to find right now. Shouldn't be hard to find TSS for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy it. Post pics.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Maybe ??? 🙄😁

Lead loads are the hard ones to find right now. Shouldn't be hard to find TSS for it.

I was at the store last week and saw they had a 20 gauge and 410 on the shelf and saw the 410 TSS ammo... But I didn't look for lead for patterning.

I have some 410 lead at home for my 410 pistol that I could use for testing & red dot sighting.

Now the question has morphed from 12 down to 410 and do I want it for my real old age for a 5# gun and really light recoil over the more ammo available and universal 20 gauge.

Is the $30 price reduction and the gun is there on the rack availability enough to do the 410?? (and if ammo is available)

Hmmm...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe ??? 🙄😁

I was at the store last week and saw they had a 20 gauge and 410 on the shelf and saw the 410 TSS ammo... But I didn't look for lead for patterning.

I have some 410 lead at home for my 410 pistol that I could use for testing & red dot sighting.

Now the question has morphed from 12 down to 410 and do I want it for my real old age for a 5# gun and really light recoil over the more ammo available and universal 20 gauge.

Is the $30 price reduction and the gun is there on the rack availability enough to do the 410?? (and if ammo is available)

Hmmm...

For the price............. Buy the .410 Try it. When the 20 comes available. Try IT. If they both suit you......... you're in it for a grand total of $360 + the governor's share. If one isn't tickling you then sell it.

I've spent $360 on a lot dumber things.
grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Maybe ??? 🙄😁

Hmmm...

For the price............. Buy the .410 Try it. When the 20 comes available. Try IT. If they both suit you......... you're in it for a grand total of $360 + the governor's share. If one isn't tickling you then sell it.

I've spent $360 on a lot dumber things.
grin

You're an enabler.

I can always dabble with them and wait until spring time when grand dad's get in a panic to find a 301 410 for their kid that supposedly can't take recoil.

the 410 may make a nice beaver gun too because all you shoot at is the head typically....
(I'm convincing myself now...)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're an enabler.

Oh, HECK YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure I've publicly admitted that before on more than one occasion. 🤣🤣

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We're all enablers. I think you should buy two. A 12 and a .410. You need them. NEED.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
We're all enablers. I think you should buy two. A 12 and a .410. You need them. NEED.

Maybe I should go 12, 20, and 410.

Collect them all!

It would still be less than my franchi.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SEE ?????

You're catching on !!!!

👍😃👍

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Maybe I should go 12, 20, and 410.

Collect them all!

It would still be less than my franchi.

Did you order them yet?

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/09/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I stopped at the store and handled both guns and just couldn't do it yet.

I was questioning if I needed more shotguns.

I even put the singles up against 28 inch and 26 inch autos I own to see if the shorter length is worth it.

Sadly I decided I should think on it and walked out.

Got a lot of financial things going on... buying 120 acres of land that will need a road approach, permit, gates, fencing...

The 20 gauge is still sitting there full price and its the compromise I can get later.

Update: I looked at the store website and the 410 and 12 is gone. They must have sold last night.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sort of land takes priority. You can always get one later if you so decide. Might even be able to find something better. I was at Green Top Hunt and Fish store in Richmond, Va last weekend and they had an old Harrington & Richardson Model 48 20 gauge in spectacular conditon. If I didn't already have a Model 58 in 20 gauge, I would have bought it. Kinda sorry I didn't buy it anyway.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
That sort of land takes priority. You can always get one later if you so decide. Might even be able to find something better. I was at Green Top Hunt and Fish store in Richmond, Va last weekend and they had an old Harrington & Richardson Model 48 20 gauge in spectacular conditon. If I didn't already have a Model 58 in 20 gauge, I would have bought it. Kinda sorry I didn't buy it anyway.

I can always get the 3-1-20 gauge and I think I will after the holidays and my land deal is done. Hopefully prices won't go up.

My franchi affinity 20 may get replaced by the 301 so I can put it back to grouse hunting

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

I can always get the 301-20 gauge and I think I will after the holidays and my land deal is done. Hopefully prices won't go up.

My franchi affinity 20 may get replaced by the 301 so I can put it back to grouse hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been wanting a Mossberg 500 .410 for some time now. Everytime I'm in my LGS, I pick it up and play with it. Seems like it would be a fun gun for small game. The ONLY reason I haven't gotten it yet is because I haven't seen any lead ammo except buckshot. Would hate to buy a gun and not find decent ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a little surprised there aren't more US manufacturers out there building quality hunting single shots. I think Henry is the only one.

The LLC that owns Palmetto State Armory bought Harrington and Richardson. They stated they had planned to make M1 Garands under the H&R name. But I've heard nothing else to date. If they were to turn out a quality single shot, like the Model 58, at a reasonable cost, they'd probably sell a bunch of them.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/11/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been wanting a Mossberg 500 .410 for some time now. Everytime I'm in my LGS, I pick it up and play with it. Seems like it would be a fun gun for small game. The ONLY reason I haven't gotten it yet is because I haven't seen any lead ammo except buckshot. Would hate to buy a gun and not find decent ammo.
I've had several .410's over the years. They work OK on rabbits/squirrels with lead loads if you don't need to shoot much past 25 yards. Every time I hear somebody say they're a good squirrel gun I think they must not have very tall timber where they hunt. They won't reliably drop squirrels out of the top of a 100 foot hickory when you're standing at the bottom of the tree. BTDT dozens of times with full choke .410's and various 2.5 and 3" shells loaded with #6 and 7.5 lead shot and results are less than satisfactory. I don't mess with the little toy pop guns anymore. My shoulder ain't that tender and I have no problem carrying around the weight of a real shotgun all day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Note I said a fun gun on small game, not a fine gun! Seriously, though, a .410 with the right load and reasonable shots is perfectly adequate.

I shoot the vasty majority of my squirrels on the ground. Rarely past 25 yards. Some further, but not too many. Mostly with a .22, sometimes with a 12 gauge, but lately with a 20 gauge. I only take open shots. What I don't do is blast into shaking foliage or shoot into brush and hope a squirrel falls out. And #6 is the smallest shot I will use on squirrels. #7.5 and finer just makes a damned mess. #8 IMO is worthless unless you are just using it for pest control. I prefer high velocity #4 or, 2nd choice #5. #4 will shoot completely through a squirrel at reasonable ranges, will break leg bones, and won't bloodshot meat. I have no doubt Federal Hi Brass 3" #4 .410 at over 1,100 fps would be an authoritative squirrel killer at reasonable ranges.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I used 7.5 shot with the .410 to get pellet count up because it doesn't hold but a thimble full and the patterns with bigger shot SUCK with plenty of squirrel vitals sized voids past 20-25 yards . #4 shot ain't the greatest for squirrels unless you're heaving a lot of it for that reason. I've come to prefer a 12 gauge load of 1 1/4 oz. of #5 shot or 1 oz. of #6 in my 16 and 20 gauge guns to keep the pellet count/pattern density/penetration equation at optimum levels in the tall timber where shots can be long. This is based on 48 years experience and several thousand squirrels brought to bag with every gauge from 12 to .410. I prefer to use a .22 when/where appropriate but some of my best squirrel hunting spots are in farm woodlots with houses/barns/livestock within a few hundred yards in nearly every direction and I won't launch bullets skyward in such places.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
This 410 talk has me leaning back to 20.

I had a 410 growing up and it worked on sitting grouse, never wingshot them...
Disappointed on squirrels
great on farm yard wood chuck.

I suppose a person could use TSS on squirrels and get them up in the trees.

;-)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

;-)

Awful expensive squirrels...... 🙄😏

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you like picking fAiry dust sized shot out them....

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No body but a Democrat wants a single shot gun....

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LFC
No body but a Democrat wants a single shot gun....

Seem popular with turkey hunters wanting a light gun.

Also popular with off grid dooms day mountain man survivalist woods loafers that like the cartridge adapters to shoot multiple ammo types. They don't seem like democrats.

Or guys that own farms that want a quick to load legal low cost truck guns (like me)...

But you're the F'in expert here on guns and demographics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This 410 talk has me leaning back to 20.

I had a 410 growing up and it worked on sitting grouse, never wingshot them...
Disappointed on squirrels
great on farm yard wood chuck.

;-)

It doesn't have to be disappointing on squirrels. A #4 or #5, #6 or #7.5 pellet flying at 1100-1200 fps doesn't know if it came out of a .410 or a 12 gauge. The difference is the amount of shot, and pellet energy. The reason any gauge/caliber is disappopinting on squirrels is using shot that is too fine, and/or shooting too far, and/or taking bad shots.

If you make a decision based on other peoples preferences, you're never going to make a decision. The simple fact is, a .410 is perfectly adequate for turkeys, squirrels, and many other game animals IF you take reasonable shots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But you're the F'in expert here on guns and demographics.

And don't you forget it !!!!!

BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA !!!!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The simple fact is, a .410 is perfectly adequate for turkeys, squirrels, and many other game animals IF you take reasonable shots.

Ever here of "Qualifying the Witness"....

M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm looking at a 12 gauge single shot for a short gun for rainy days in a blind or to carry it in the truck as back up to my autoloader.

This will also serve as my farm truck skunk & beaver gun when not turkey hunting.

20 Gauges are nice, but if you don't want to buy another gun, there are plenty of lower power 2 3/4 shells for skunk and beaver work that mimic 20 gauge loads. For turkey, Foxtrot ammo makes a 12 gauge, 2 3/4 TSS 1 5/8 load that is the same as the 20 gauge Turkey load. TSS #8 is proven penetration out to 50 yards, #9 is proven penetration out to 40 yards. Some people stretch that range.

Last edited by MOW; 12/18/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MOW

20 Gauges are nice, but if you don't want to buy another gun, there are plenty of lower power 2 3/4 shells for skunk and beaver work that mimic 20 gauge loads. For turkey, Foxtrot ammo makes a 12 gauge, 2 3/4 TSS 1 5/8 load that is the same as the 20 gauge Turkey load. TSS #8 is proven penetration out to 50 yards, #9 is proven penetration out to 40 yards. Some people stretch that range.

Good to know. I haven't seen many lighter non-tox loads out there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I broke down and bought the 20 gauge.

They had a 10% off sale and the clerk gave me a $15 off coupon so it made the gun real reasonable.

I may get the 12 gauge someday for the dedicated truck gun and look at loads Mow told me about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I broke down and bought the 20 gauge.

You didn't mess up. 😉

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
another 20ga convert

Last edited by pullit; 12/27/22.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
another 20ga covert
You mean convert ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good deal! Post up some photos of it when you get the chance.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Post up some pics of some turkeys you killed if you get a chance.....

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by LFC
Post up some pics of some turkeys you killed if you get a chance.....
sad part is I ought to be the one sharing the knowledge bout single shots but don't have the desire

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I was talking to GlockheAd.....I know you've killed lots of turkeys.

Only reason I said that is because I know of only two turkeys he has killed with buckshot while deer hunting.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
another 20ga convert

Already have my franchi affinity in 20 with a sumtoy and burris FF3 so it wasn't a hard conversion.

The 20 gauge 301 and the franchi are similar weight so I may return the franchi to being a lightweight grouse gun.

Thanks for the support and opinions gents.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any idea what choke system the 301 uses?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty sure they are a Winchoke thread.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plenty of options, then.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I did the same thing. I had a upland bird gun that I converted over to my turkey gun. When I saw first hand the way it worked on turkeys, I bought a dedicated 20 for turkeys and converted my upland gun back over.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,196
Posts18,503,582
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.