Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking about adding a turret to my Leupold 6x, but was thinking it might not be enough xs to make it worth the expense. Can the 6x get me to 5-600 yards for big game hunting?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not a long range expert by any means but I do target shoot quite a bit with 6x, 8x and 10x scopes out to about 510 yards. The 6x works fine but the 10x makes things noticably easier.
Practice(alot) with it and I bet you're good to go with the 6x.

Last edited by SamOlson; 07/28/10.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I shoot a 308 with a 6x42 Loopie turret.

I have easily gone to 400.

If I was doing what you are thinking of, I might try this one:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-.../fx-3-6x42mm-adj-obj-competition-hunter/

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The scope I have is a newish 6x36, thinking of adding a CDS turret to it...please don't get me started on my hatred for AO. smile

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Biathalonman,
I'm not using the CDS turret currently, but will be soon on a VX-III 2.5-8! I have however used a Stoney Point target knob on a fixed M8 8X Leupy successfully out to 700-800 yards on antelope and at the range. It does have a fairly fine duplex crosshair which may be different than the new FX-II 6X.
I was on the phone the other day with customer service at Leupold and he said that they were considering offering the FX fixed series in other higher powered choices like 8X or 10X possibly in 2011 FWIW... sounds good to me!

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I like a 6x42 to 1K,can't like the 6x36 for anything...........

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You could also get a mount with some built-in MOA. Evolution Gun Works makes a Picatinney rail with 20 MOA built-in elevation.

http://www.egw-guns.com/

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
A 6x42 Leupie has 60MOA internal,which routinely allows 35MOA of erector travel,after a 250yd zero on a flat base.

EGW is far from my favorite way to add inclination,to pad an erector's latitude..............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
500-600 yards I would want 10x

1 and done
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
10x is largely my ceiling anymore(actually for quite a spell),for Killing...though I'll eagerly crush Critters to nearly twice the distances you cite and happily,via the 6x.

Prefer the 1",but have a MK4 M3 6x as well............

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried the FX-II in 36?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hate it.............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why? You like the 42 right?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
A wee bit.............

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
They call it big game because it's big grin 6x is plenty for big game at 600 yards, if you can correct for drop and wind. Because of the adjustment range, I'd get a Leupold 6x42 with elevation and windage knobs, M1 variant, installed. Should run you about $550 shipped from Leupold's custom shop.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Fee things crack me up more,than Hubble-esque glass............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking at the website specs, the 36 has 64MOA adjustment, and the 42mm has 55MOA.

I have used both, and never felt handicapped with the 36, of course I don't hunt at night.

Cannot understand how the 36 is so inferior than the 42 myself.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Funny that with supposedly both in hand,you are looking at specs.

Which undoubtedly has more than a little to do with your "critique"...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sir, I have owned MANY M8s and Fx's of each w/different reticles.

As I stated above, I 'HAVE OWNED' both. Not arguing with you but simply wanted to know why you dislike the 36 since you said, 'I can't like the 6x36 for anything.'

I can imagine the Tactical 6x, the MK4 may well have more adjustment since it's made for the battlefield. Perhaps that's where the difference lies. I looked at the Fx-3 vs. Fx-2 specs, not the MK4.

Have a great day sir.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Still way over your head and it can't be "fixed".

Pun intended...............

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Not a long range guru by any mans standards. My personal experience with the Weaver K6 shows it to be plenty of glass for ME out to 400 yards. Havent shot any farther with it yet.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Were it a Weaver T-Series,I could sorta allow it to creep in the race.

As a Play Toy,but not for down & dirty hard use............

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Good thing I was commenting on my equipment and not seeking anyones approval. That coulda been embarrassing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't know that much more can be said.. the 36 is not as clear or bright and if buying for whatever reason, why would you buy less? I know any 6x L I buy is a 42.

I dont' hunt in the dark either much( I do with hogs sometimes) but thats irrelavant, there are days where the lighting SUCKS at the start or end of the day, I don't try to handicap myself from the git go.

Now if Zeiss would hurry up and do a 6x conquest....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Good thing I was commenting on my equipment and not seeking anyones approval. That coulda been embarrassing.

Results never ain't interesting,please feel free to hang a pic of a Beastie that succumbed to X's greater than 6 and perhaps extoll upon why it couldn't have gone down otherwise.

That'll be funny!...........

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Zeiss going fixed 6x,would nip some of their inherent scope design woes.

Assuming they gave eye-relief and tube length a thunk,as well as padded the ele erector's travel and flew .25" adjustable turrets..............

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I believe youre mistaken, Im all for low magnification scopes. Realized along time ago that I never really cranked my 3-9s higher than 6 so started using fixed powers on my new rifles. MAybe if I add ... ........ ..... it may clear up the issue? .... ....

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I never put any store in any high X results arriving the scene...............

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Im sorry Stick or faux Stick, but that ones too much for even lowly ol me to understand.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Please elaborate, or tirade, choice is yours.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
You have no critters slain with high X magnification,under your belt...................

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
In that case then yes I agree with you. Reread my first post, I clearly said it works for ME. What may work for fellows with longer shot options than me may be different. To be honest, I dont own a rifle that requires high X magnification in my opinion though Ive seen others that deem it necessary.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rost, a Conquest in 6x would be WELCOME! Have you compared an FX-II to the 42s? Just curious. I realize light varies on hunts, and have yet to miss out on a deer in poor light w/any 6x Leupold, 36/42, M8/FX, etc. Whatever I used the day I was squeezing off worked well. Knocked 2 down this past year on my Dakota 6BR, Fx-II in 36, very foggy morning.

I do like the sleek lines on the 36, but I hear that Leupold may come back with their 8x and higher fixed, perhaps 10x. I could definitely see an 8x42 in my future, w/fully coated optics. Had a 7.5x non ao, 42mm, and an 8x36 (VERY bright btw, as much as resolution in low light as anything else from M8 6x42 to 2.5-8x36 side by side at dusk).

If I were running a heavy bbl rifle for stand hunting deer, a 7.5 or 8x might get the nod. In sporters, the 6x36 just looks and feels right, I know their isn't 1.5 oz diff but it's just lean and works for me. The 42 has a slighty larger as E calls it, eyebox, but eye relief fore/aft and laterally is just fine w/36 IME.

If priced equal, the 42 would win. That weaver mentioned above is said to be a great optic, even w/I believe 38 obj.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
In that case then yes I agree with you. Reread my first post, I clearly said it works for ME. What may work for fellows with longer shot options than me may be different. To be honest, I dont own a rifle that requires high X magnification in my opinion though Ive seen others that deem it necessary.

Which is why I asked YOU,for the pics.............

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ImitatedOften
Zeiss going fixed 6x,would nip some of their inherent scope design woes.

Assuming they gave eye-relief and tube length a thunk,as well as padded the ele erector's travel and flew .25" adjustable turrets..............

Could turn out nicely... but I bet they'll never listen....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 65BR
Rost, a Conquest in 6x would be WELCOME! Have you compared an FX-II to the 42s? Just curious. I realize light varies on hunts, and have yet to miss out on a deer in poor light w/any 6x Leupold, 36/42, M8/FX, etc. Whatever I used the day I was squeezing off worked well. Knocked 2 down this past year on my Dakota 6BR, Fx-II in 36, very foggy morning.

I do like the sleek lines on the 36, but I hear that Leupold may come back with their 8x and higher fixed, perhaps 10x. I could definitely see an 8x42 in my future, w/fully coated optics. Had a 7.5x non ao, 42mm, and an 8x36 (VERY bright btw, as much as resolution in low light as anything else from M8 6x42 to 2.5-8x36 side by side at dusk).

If I were running a heavy bbl rifle for stand hunting deer, a 7.5 or 8x might get the nod. In sporters, the 6x36 just looks and feels right, I know their isn't 1.5 oz diff but it's just lean and works for me. The 42 has a slighty larger as E calls it, eyebox, but eye relief fore/aft and laterally is just fine w/36 IME.

If priced equal, the 42 would win. That weaver mentioned above is said to be a great optic, even w/I believe 38 obj.

I have peered through others 36s... and after buying a used 42, I'll never spend the jack on a 36. Can it work, yeah, but like I said, why handicap.. we have all kinds of game, it comes out at all times and for that reason I want as bright a scope as I can get.. I've used a couple of Z variables on 5x to kill black hogs at night, at under 100 yards, with bright stars and not more than 1/4 moon.... you won't do that with a 6x36L...

I simply don't want to get left holding the bag at some point, over a bit of money. Its not like hunting is cheap or anything. Or that I don't have time invested in it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You have no critters slain with high X magnification,under your belt...................

here is the deal... I've killed with IRON sights at 500 plus and not had any issues. Killing or hitting something at 500 yards give or take doesnt' take a lot. And if you can identify the animal you are after and then plug it, its good. I've used more X and continue to do so at times... specialty issues like longer head shots, I just prefer to see how much movement I have and see more betta where its going to go or if I'm going to attempt it. The other issue is moving animals in a herd and picking a certain one or a legal one... I tried 2.5 x on an AR for a couple of years, and then realized while its easy as hell to hit one... you could make a mistake as things fall into place. I even ran a red dot for some time and again, hitting was not an issue... So there are times and places for more X... but its not because I can't kill what is way out there with a fixed lower X... its due to target identification....and verification before the shot.

I"d have to say that at some point... and I"m still sorta waiting Zeiss out a bit... most all my average rifles will wear fixed 6x. but there are a handful of mags and specialty guns that will wear more in the way of a variable for specific chores.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rost, I agree for your hunting you want the brightest you can have, an 8x56? LOL. Not a bad low light scope, albeit bulky perhaps.

The 6x42 S&B and Swaro are also very good glass, but I have to tell you the newest FX series have some DARNED good glass IMHO.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The 6x42 is akin' to cheatin',which is about how I like things.

The transition from bino or spotter to scope,had best be second nature...if it isn't,you are pizzing up a very long rope.

Increased X's don't shorten that rope...............(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
....Killing or hitting something at 500 yards give or take doesnt' take a lot....The other issue is moving animals in a herd and picking a certain one or a legal one.....its easy as hell to hit one... you could make a mistake as things fall into place...but its not because I can't kill what is way out there with a fixed lower X... its due to target identification....and verification before the shot.

Excellent point that is often left out of the discussion. Over the years I've nailed "the wrong one" or pulled the trigger on one I wouldn't have if I had a better look at his headgear while using lower powered scopes. I hit them all quite easily. This is definitely one of the reasons I like higher powered scopes these days--I like to get a really, really good look at something before I press the trigger.

And of course as I always mention seeing mirage, etc, to help judge the wind can sometimes be a big help on long shots.

I know 6X is it for many on this board and it is a good all around hunting magnification...but the end-all, be-all, ultimate long range hunting scope? Not hardly.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Someone doing spotting/judging work through his riflescope...is pizzing up a very long rope...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Someone digging into his pack for a spotting scope when he should be killin' is "pizzing up a very long rope."

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Couldn't even fathom that happening,but admittedly alotta things are easy for me...that ain't for others............

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thing here... and stick knows this... we often have to gauge an animal to know its legal first, and then 3-4 bucks following a doe, go behind brush as you figure it out... with a low powered scope... your deer was #2 in line following the doe... you better NOT shoot #2 coming out by number.. you better verify.

Interestingly enough... 2.5 X or even 4X usually can't quite do it reliably for our regs.... but 6x is starting to be enough.

Now on my longest(to me) shot of 802 so far, it was a caribou, and it wasn't moving in a herd, by itself etc... so even though it was farther off, and I had a variable and used the 14x on it because it was there... 6x would have easily sufficed as when I lay down to shoot it was on 4.5x... and that would have been enough actually.... but I didn't look the gift in the mouth.....

6.5... I don't go the 8x 56mm simply because to my eyes a 5 or 6x is brighter when comparing X vs visible light. I have a 30 mm tube Zeiss variable... not a conquest either... Diatal IIRC... and its 3-12... for max light I still end up at 5-6 x... not at 8.. And its not for want of trying either.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My bino's have never cost me a Critter,though they surely have rewarded me with many victims..............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
admittedly alotta things are easy for me...that ain't for others............

If you need another tool to identify the correct deer to shoot, and I don't, things are quite a bit easier for me.
My bino's have never cost me a Critter,though they surely have rewarded me with many victims..............

Mine haven't cost me any, of course I use mine to find the game. Though plenty of the critters I have taken yours would have cost you had you been looking through them during the precious few seconds you had for the shot.

Of course you probably instead would have just shot one of the smaller bucks and in your blissful glee patted yourself on the back about what a great shot you made with your 6X....

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Always disconcerting,to read of another boob on a hillside,flailing his rifle about as an observation device...undoubtedly with one in the pipe.

Gets pretty funny quick though,when they stretch to justify same.................

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Binos.... this ain't about binos...its about scopes... wanna talk binos we can do another deal....

Of course I understand that its hard to comprehend the possibility of seeing 5-10 bucks in a group milling through brush and have to actually pick out the right one. Most folks are glad to see 1-2 here and there. Heck if I was lucky I could have a big oats patch where one buck would come out all by himself and you could kill him without a scope and no issues.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Killing good Critters,starts/ends with bino's.

I've seen brush and Bucks..................(grin)

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A few days ago I had 15+ bucks feeding in a circle, racks down, below me. It would have been retarded to use a rifle scope to try to sort them out. My 10x bino's and my 15-45x Zeiss Spotter got the job done perfectly, and I only pointed my rifle at the one I killed. 6x42 scope.

After the shot and they had scattered a bit.. The bigger ones had run off.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Calvin
A few days ago I had 15+ bucks feeding in a circle, racks down, below me. It would have been retarded to use a rifle scope to try to sort them out. My 10x bino's and my 15-45x Zeiss Spotter got the job done perfectly, and I only pointed my rifle at the one I killed. 6x42 scope.

[Linked Image]

I agree...And I believe I've been over this with rost before, and I just dropped the subject..But it goes like this..If your head hunting, Bino's for finding, spotter for judging, rifle scope for killing. if you want to use a rifle scope for all three, or even two of those jobs, it speaks volumes, and needs no further information to get a clear picture of "trophies" collected by said hunter.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Some folks do their best,to make easy schitt difficult.

I'm the antithesis of that train of "thought".............

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Got a pic of the one you killed Calvin?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Some folks do their best,to make easy schitt difficult.

I'm the antithesis of that train of "thought".............

Had a kid come over last night.. He went up one of the best mountains opening weekend. He stomped across the prime habitat the night before it opened, doing some "scouting". The next morning he was baffled that he didn't find one deer up on that mountain. He come over stating "The deer aren't in the alpine!". I just smiled and nodded.. I asked him if he has binos, and he just gave me a confused look..

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Tom264
Got a pic of the one you killed Calvin?

Wearing my "Holy" UA sweats. Those things have some miles on them.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Very nice congrats.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Had to hang a pic with Anthony in it, since he packed half of it out.. I'm getting spoiled. Anthony runs the spotter, I run binos, and the little one runs my range finder out of juice.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
If your eyes aren't bolted to bino's,you are simply handing out Escape Passes..................

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If your eyes aren't bolted to bino's,you are simply handing out Escape Passes..................

I remember you hammering that home with me, back in the day when I'd go a whole hunting season and only see a handful of dink bucks.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My mantra has always been: "there's a HOG hiding somewhere...I just gotta find him"...................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That high country early season blacktail hunting looks a lot like alpine Colorado summer time. And it would be a helluva good time I am thinking.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Nope.

It's more fun than that...................(grin)

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mine haven't cost me any, of course I use mine to find the game. Though plenty of the critters I have taken yours would have cost you had you been looking through them during the precious few seconds you had for the shot.

My experience as well,

Killing or hitting something at 500 yards give or take doesnt' take a lot. And if you can identify the animal you are after and then plug it, its good. I've used more X and continue to do so at times... specialty issues like longer head shots, I just prefer to see how much movement I have and see more betta where its going to go or if I'm going to attempt it. The other issue is moving animals in a herd and picking a certain one or a legal one.

Yep,

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Recount your best High-X count victim and how it went down................

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rosco1

[Linked Image]
I don't recall the conversation, but I've just said, 6x can be enough for identification... while 2.5 cannot.. but for killing you really don't need 6x even. My hunting situations are totally different than some... if there were no danger of crossing bucks up... then its never an issue.

And yes, I never grab a rifle until I'm ready to shoot.... if I'm out to simply kill, ain't a big deal, if you are after a specific deer milling in brush... you have to be careful and have at least 6x depending on the distance....

I agree...And I believe I've been over this with rost before, and I just dropped the subject..But it goes like this..If your head hunting, Bino's for finding, spotter for judging, rifle scope for killing. if you want to use a rifle scope for all three, or even two of those jobs, it speaks volumes, and needs no further information to get a clear picture of "trophies" collected by said hunter.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Calvin- NICE buck! Congrats!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Here we go again.. you folks is gettin off topic..... binocs are for hunting, and locating a target... tahts a seperate topic. Personally I'd rather forget the rifle than the binocs..... without binocs and a spotter at times... its all a walk in the park praying for luck.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Back to somewhat the original topic..

Jon talked about "precious seconds". In my experience, the last thing I'd want if I only had "precious seconds" would be a high X scope. Might just be because I'm an idiot, but it takes me more than a few precious seconds to locate what I'm looking for with high x's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always disconcerting,to read of another boob on a hillside,flailing his rifle about as an observation device...undoubtedly with one in the pipe.

Nobody said anything about an observation device of a hillside. If seeing the critter well enough to count the points and decide not to shoot worries you, it's a mental issue of your own making. If you're afraid of the boogie man under your bed I can't help you with that either.

Nobody said anything about "finding" the animal with a scope. That you need to make things up in order to confuse safety issues into the mix to justify the handicap you place on yourself with equipment choices, speaks volumes about you.
Jon talked about "precious seconds". In my experience, the last thing I'd want if I only had "precious seconds" would be a high X scope. Might just be because I'm an idiot, but it takes me more than a few precious seconds to locate what I'm looking for with high x's.

Whether you're an idiot or not, if you're unable to quickly find an animal in a scope then you simply wouldn't have gotten some of the bucks I have gotten. Maybe all your hunting experience involves a bunch of deer standing there on a hillside for you to stare at all day long. I see that a lot too but most of the time it's does and little bucks. The big fellas have gotten that way by learning not to do that.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Recount your best High-X count victim and how it went down.......

Here on bear, just under 600, scope set on 12x. Dink down and wasn't just standing there waiting for me to shoot him.
[Linked Image]

I totally agree with your use of bins but when I pick up the rifle after spotting the bear with bins I personally need the higher X to track them in thick brush that is taller than they are. They are moving through it and I find them hard to find with a lower X scope. Now you see them now you don't and I have but a few seconds to connect. Just me bud but that's what works for me.
I don't have 20 year old eyes anymore if that has anything to do with it. My eyes take longer to focus and higher x helps that.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Shot a pretty good Buck for The Boys last year,(on the move)at a CH over 650yds. Montucky 7Whizzum/162 6x42.

I'd reckon that as being comfortably under 70% of that glass's resolving power.

Saw him in bino's first...............(grin)

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by JonA

Nobody said anything about an observation device of a hillside. If seeing the critter well enough to count the points and decide not to shoot worries you, it's a mental issue of your own making. If you're afraid of the boogie man under your bed I can't help you with that either.

Nobody said anything about "finding" the animal with a scope. That you need to make things up in order to confuse safety issues into the mix to justify the handicap you place on yourself with equipment choices, speaks volumes about you.

Whether you're an idiot or not, if you're unable to quickly find an animal in a scope then you simply wouldn't have gotten some of the bucks I have gotten. Maybe all your hunting experience involves a bunch of deer standing there on a hillside for you to stare at all day long. I see that a lot too but most of the time it's does and little bucks. The big fellas have gotten that way by learning not to do that.

Idiots with loaded rifles,never don't not concern me.............

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

It's obvious your and my style of hunting differs. My goal is to read wind and cover to get a good look at areas I think might hold bucks, without being detected. I know that if I don't play the wind correctly, silhouette myself, or even just move across the wrong area, I will blow out mature bucks. Getting a good look at deer without them even having the faintest clue that I am there is what I aim to do. Blowing out a deer and having precious seconds to toss the scope up and pull the trigger isn't really what I want to do.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by SU35
Recount your best High-X count victim and how it went down.......

Here on bear, just under 600, scope set on 12x. Dink down and wasn't just standing there waiting for me to shoot him.
[Linked Image]

I totally agree with your use of bins but when I pick up the rifle after spotting the bear with bins I personally need the higher X to track them in thick brush that is taller than they are. They are moving through it and I find them hard to find with a lower X scope. Now you see them now you don't and I have but a few seconds to connect. Just me bud but that's what works for me.
I don't have 20 year old eyes anymore if that has anything to do with it. My eyes take longer to focus and higher x helps that.

I sit on my deck and watch bears and bucks through my spotter on the mountain behind my house all the time. One of my favorite things to do, early in the AM with a cup of coffee. I've seen bears haul ass with no apparent reason. They'll cover lots of ground, and usually don't stop for much. Mountain deer are a completely different story. They'll stay in the areas, slowing feeding. Now, if you expose yourself, I'm sure they'll haul ass too..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not being able to find something quickly with higher X in glass, IMHO is a lot due to bad stock fit.. if the stock fits you and you use both eyes, your one eye is burning a hole in the target as you bring the gun up.. as soon as you can see through the glass, the target will be right there.... doesn't matter much to me if I'm looking at high X or 6x. Of course I practice with 6x a lot swinging on doves in flight.

Staying with a moving target at 600 yards plus.. isn't difficult, still being able to realize which buck it is as a few of them move out of sight for minutes at time and then back into sight... that requires binoc use and good timing... or if you are sure of what you want, then it takes something to verify its the same buck when it comes back out... given multiple seconds to shoot, thats a no brainer.. check with binocs.... given a fleeting second, tehre is no way in hell you'll tell at 650 yards the difference between the 12 inch wide illegal 8 point and the legal 14 inch wide 8 point. Difference between the spike and the big old buck... yeah, a child could do that.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Right at the bottom of the barrel there and on a few counts.............(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blowing out a deer and having precious seconds to toss the scope up and pull the trigger isn't really what I want to do.

Making more stuff up to support your point, I see. I never said anything about "blowing out a deer" and having to "toss up the scope." You must be thinking of E when he speaks of his requirement for a very large eyebox which makes his Leupold 6X42 the greatest scope evAr.

Maybe you've never seen a herd of mule deer "on the move" (there can be many reasons for it)? Maybe you've never seen a couple whitetail bucks sparing? Maybe you've never seen a whitetail buck stuck to a doe in heat who thinks she needs to be somewhere else? Maybe you've never seen deer leaving cover to go feed on the other side of a hill or the other side of a fence as darkness approaches? Maybe there are never any other hunters where you hunt so you can literally count on anything you see being there all day long? Boy, that must make things tough.

If every critter you've ever gotten allows you to put down your pack, get out a spotting scope, set up the spotting scope.... please do tell me how much you bribe the guards at the zoo. There are times this is the case and in those times a spotting scope is a wonderful tool to have. There are other times when it's not.

If you require a spotting scope to kill an animal that is within killing range, some animals will get away from you. You have placed a handicap on yourself. That's your choice.

Of course "killing range" can mean different things. You do realize this is the long range section, right? You are basing your statement on experience taking animals 400+, 500+, etc, right?

If not, WTF are you doing here telling us what scopes we should use? If "within killing range" means within 250-300 yds or so, yeah, a 6X will probably do you just fine. Double, triple, quadruple the range and do you might have a clue why most here use higher powered scopes.

My goal is to read wind

Tell me how well you could read the wind here with a 6X scope:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB_Sxgp5Ook

How well do you think you'd see that mirage through a 6X scope? Do the think the wind where you're standing is exactly the same speed as the wind all the way to the target? Do you think you would have picked up that subtle change? Do you think you can be sure the wind won't change in the time it takes to move from the spotting scope to the rifle?

Please explain how NOT BEING ABLE TO read that wind through your scope and requiring a spotting scope to read what it used to be is somehow an "advantage."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Idiots with loaded rifles,never don't not concern me.............

Almost as much as idiots with rifles and keyboards concern me.

How exactly would you have judged that wind, funny schtick? You are the resident LR expert here (and all the other tactical boards you've been kicked off of) after all. Tell us your technique?

How do you read the wind through your 6X scope? After you've gotten the wind read, how do you compensate? You often run an elevation turret only and only use simple duplex reticles, right? So how do you compensate? What's you're expert technique?

Guesstimate hold off in "inches." Fantastic! Do tell us where exactly you would have held to make those shots.

Humble us with your expertise.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This is getting kinda funny..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At your expense, shortranger.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like I said, volumes...You sound all worked up?? I'm sorry.

I've seen a few mule deer on the move, a high mag rifle scope would have done exactly nothing, in the useful department.

Fretting a dink getting away is not a concern..If your after the first decent buck, and can live with what you have on the ground, go ahead and use ur rifle scope, no skin off my nuts, but the fact you get all butt hurt over it is more than a bit funny.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
love the "mirage" angle too LOL

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm not sure I ever told anybody what scope to use. I just stated my experiences and how I do what I do. Take it or leave it, as I'm sure you have your mind made up.

Also Jon, you pulled a sentence fragment out, without reading the entire sentence and paragraph about "wind". I was clearly referring to using the wind to my advantage, as to get enough time to look over game via a spotter, before they detect my scent and head for cover.

If I were mountain hunting, and game I spotted was moving away from me only giving me "precious seconds", I'd really rethink how I was doing things.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your after the first decent buck, and can live with what you have on the ground,

If that was the case, I'd just shoot it with the 6X and live with whatever it was. That's what the 6X fans are advocating. Actually seeing the critter well allows me to not pull the triger on a "dink." Tough concept apparently.
but the fact you get all butt hurt over it is more than a bit funny.

If I was butt hurt, I might make something up about the safety of anybody who uses different equipment than me. Oh wait, that's what you did.
Originally Posted by toad
love the "mirage" angle too LOL

I see you still haven't learned to use your equipment. Maybe you should look into taking a class or something? Next time I'm in Montana give me a ring and I'll come over and show you what that knob on the side of your scope is for.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Maybe there are never any other hunters where you hunt so you can literally count on anything you see being there all day long? Boy, that must make things tough.

If every critter you've ever gotten allows you to put down your pack, get out a spotting scope, set up the spotting scope.... please do tell me how much you bribe the guards at the zoo. There are times this is the case and in those times a spotting scope is a wonderful tool to have. There are other times when it's not.

To be honest with you.. No, I don't have to worry about other hunters. I hike far enough in to my spots that it isn't a concern to me.

If I don't have the drop on the animal, and I don't have time to pull out the spotter and lean it across my pack to take a better look.. That particular animal lives for me to hunt another day.

Since you admitted to hunting in a place with hunting pressure, wouldn't it be prudent for you to always look things over very carefully with bino's or a spotter before scoping in on an animal? What if some guy had crept within 20 yards of that animal, and you are waving a weapon at him?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"If I was butt hurt, I might make something up about the safety of anybody who uses different equipment than me. Oh wait, that's what you did."

Is that right? Please do quote me, anything I said about safety.(dont bother looking, it aint there)
Talk about making chit up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just stated my experiences and how I do what I do. Take it or leave it, as I'm sure you have your mind made up.

Do what? Kill something at 250 yds? This is the Long Range Section.
I was clearly referring to using the wind to my advantage,

Maybe when you start shooting long range, you'll realize when you "read the wind" before a shot, what that means.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

If that was the case, I'd just shoot it with the 6X and live with whatever it was. That's what the 6X fans are advocating.

That is a gross misrepresentation and you know it. We are advocating using higher power binos and spotters to look over the game before pointing a rifle at it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You've never shot something without a spotting scope or 15X binocs? I find that hard to believe, even if you do hunt in a zoo.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Talk about making chit up.

I'll pay close attention to what SU says.. But this Jon guy is just pulling stuff out of his ass now.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
He's a bit sensitive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Please do quote me, anything I said about safety.

Bino's for finding, spotter for judging, rifle scope for killing. if you want to use a rifle scope for all three,

"Finding" the animals with the rifle scope is unsafe. That was your implication "that spoke volumes."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But this Jon guy is just pulling stuff out of his ass now.

Did you watch the video? Please post some of yours. Let's see how good a shot your ass is.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh, your psychic now...You aint even close to catching my drift, but thats no surprise.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Jon,

REALLY ring the bell and post some of your Huge Critters,that were sluiced due to high X's.

Thought so....................(laffin')

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
WTF would I watch a video? How is that going to change the fact that you misrepresent what people post, have terrible reading comprehension, and most of us don't have a gear low enough to even respond to your babble.

Anybody can put together a LR rifle and go take shots a [bleep] beyond 400 yards. My 14 year old can do it. But, if everything is running away from you at those ranges, you might want to put the "Hunting" back in Long Range Hunting.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Allow her to "quantify" her High X Results first.

It'll be funny................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of the latest:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Doe only tag, nice to be darn sure she didn't have any spikes hiding next to those ears:

[Linked Image]

So stick, going to answer the questions on the wind? Describe your technique? Nevermind, in order to do that you'd need to actually have one.
you misrepresent what people post, have terrible reading comprehension,

Like this?
if everything is running away from you at those ranges,

Did I say anything about shooting running animals? Or ones that are even moving at all? Knowing an animal isn't going to be standing like a statue for the next 1/2 hour from situation awareness and reading body language and shooting at running animals are quite different things. But you knew that, didn't you?

You guys are a real blast. Nary an answer to a technical question, not a single challenge on a technical point, (those would require some technical knowledge) you've conceded loss on the merits.

So let's call him "sensitive," let's call him "butt hurt" or let's call him "a 'her'." Boy, that really gets me. Yawn.

You guys need to take this 6X scope show on the road to some real LR or Tactical sites. Oh yeah, BS actually has several times where he gets laughed at and kicked out eventually. Tell them Sniper guys they need to trade in their high power NF, S&B, Premiers, etc, for a 6X42 Lupy. 'Cause it's the most bestest--or however he says it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Fretting a dink getting away is not a concern..If your after the first decent buck, and can live with what you have on the ground, go ahead and use ur rifle scope, no skin off my nuts, but the fact you get all butt hurt over it is more than a bit funny.

You nailed it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Jon,

I apologize. We assumed you actually cared about the quality of the animals you shot. My bad..

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
A-Borts and Rats...a guy couldn't even make up stuff THAT funny...............

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Unless it was in a field.

Oooops...............

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

"
I apologize. We assumed you actually cared about the quality of the animals you shot. My bad.."

I didnt..

Last edited by rosco1; 07/31/10.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good thing he didn't wait to pull out that spotter.. That Doe could have gotten away!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

"
I apologize. We assumed you actually cared about the quality of the animals you shot. My bad.."

I didnt..

My bad attempt at sarcasm..

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Mighta hid behind a haybale...........

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Kinda a let down.. I expected more, but at least my sides are hurting from laughing. 2006 as his most recent? At least he has a pair of binos in a pic.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
'Bout the saddest thing I've ever seen and admittedly,there's been lotsa them try.................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I apologize.

No need. Just post pics of animals you've taken beyond 400 yds so that we know you have a clue what you're talking about. Nevermind....

You guys are showing your true character, you should be proud. I could go on explaining how that muley is really freaking big for the area in which he was taken, that the whitetail was passed on early in the hunt but being able to positively identify him quickly as the deadline approached was very helpful, but that's what you'd like.

You want to change the subject. I asked technical questions. You have nothing. I gave technical reasons. You have nothing. I ask what advantage you gain by handicapping yourself with a crappy low powered scope? Still nothing.

So you want to change the subject. Throw enough rocks and people will lose sight of your cluelessness.

The original point Rost brought up was very simple, very legitimate, and should be no problem to understand for anybody with two brain cells to rub together and any experience under his belt. Obviously you guys don't qualify.

But Big Stick being big schtick of course means any thread where the "ultimateness" of his beloved 6X42 is called into question won't go anywhere logic has any place. Sorry you guys decided to nutswing and consequently were exposed.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
If you have to "explain how really freaking big" something is...it assuredly ain't.

Especially when "quantifying" the optics employed,as being the Trump Card used to sluice same(in a hayfield no less). Quite a ruse there,though through the thinnest of veils.

Topnotch humor however!...............

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Jon,

I can promise you that you are the absolute last person I'd seek out for technical advice. In fact, I have zero interest in how you do anything, based on what you have typed and shown on this thread.

I don't see the point of long range shooting if all it means is that you are going to make long shots at immature animals in a field.

How did long range hunting evolve into a sport where guys shoot dinks out of a field and think they are badazzes for doing so?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How did long range hunting evolve into a sport where guys shoot dinks out of a field and think they are badazzes for doing so?

Isn't that what you just did a few days ago? Except for the fact he was 147 yds away or whatever? Tell me, did you eat a sandwich and drink a cup of coffee while contemplating amongst yourselves which one you should nail?

Blasting the biggest of a gaggle of bucks in velvet all munching contently on a hillside on a lazy summer afternoon is something I've wished I could do hundreds of times. Of course that's illegal for most of us in the lower 48. Things somehow get much harder in the fall. Of course you had to put in for and draw that tag? Only get one tag a year? Season only lasts a few weeks? There were probably 20 or 30 other hunters in a 1 mile radius as well, right?

As you can see, it takes quite the pompous ass to make such assumptions about the difficulty of others' hunting conditions when you haven't a clue. You're not in a position to judge me or anybody else. Especially when, by your own description of your techniques, it's very likely you'd have been left standing with your thumb up your ass and an empty tag in similar situations.

I can promise you that you are the absolute last person I'd seek out for technical advice.

Glad to hear it as my indulgence in a moment of boredness to "play along" with this funny little game is not for your benefit. Much like the 2nd grader who tells his teacher that teacher "can't teach him nothin'" your not knowing what you don't know doesn't threaten me in the slightest.

You're much better off in the optics section accusing people of safety violations for using different scopes than you than you are discussing LR shooting techniques.

Maybe someday when you actually want to start learning how to shoot long range and you begin practicing at 1/2 the distances I do, some of the things I've said here will come to your mind and a light bulb or two might switch on. Until then "helping" you is a waste of my time.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Isn't that what you just did a few days ago? Except for the fact he was 147 yds away or whatever? Tell me, did you eat a sandwich and drink a cup of coffee while contemplating amongst yourselves which one you should nail?

Blasting the biggest of a gaggle of bucks in velvet all munching contently on a hillside on a lazy summer afternoon is something I've wished I could do hundreds of times. Of course that's illegal for most of us in the lower 48. Things somehow get much harder in the fall. Of course you had to put in for and draw that tag? Only get one tag a year? Season only lasts a few weeks? There were probably 20 or 30 other hunters in a 1 mile radius as well, right?

As you can see, it takes quite the pompous ass to make such assumptions about the difficulty of others' hunting conditions when you haven't a clue. You're not in a position to judge me or anybody else. Especially when, by your own description of your techniques, it's very likely you'd have been left standing with your thumb up your ass and an empty tag in similar situations.

I can promise you that you are the absolute last person I'd seek out for technical advice.

Glad to hear it as my indulgence in a moment of boredness to "play along" with this funny little game is not for your benefit. Much like the 2nd grader who tells his teacher that teacher "can't teach him nothin'" your not knowing what you don't know doesn't threaten me in the slightest.

You're much better off in the optics section accusing people of safety violations for using different scopes than you than you are discussing LR shooting techniques.

Maybe someday when you actually want to start learning how to shoot long range and you begin practicing at 1/2 the distances I do, some of the things I've said here will come to your mind and a light bulb or two might switch on. Until then "helping" you is a waste of my time.

No, my hunting is nothing like what you do. You couldn't even begin to compare what I do and shooting a deer out of a field in your wildest dreams. Your animals are not even in the same ballpark as the one I pictured. (Do you even know what kind of deer that is?)

The fact that you have 20-30 hunters in a mile radius shows that you are one lazy "hunter". I suggest you buy a pair of boots and a backpack. It also shows that you are one hell of an unsafe hunter if you are taking "precious seconds" shots at game, at long range, with that many people around.

Now your location, seasons, and hunting pressure is your excuse for killing small animals? I never can understand western states hunter who doesn't take advantage of the vast road system provided by the federal gov't to drive to better hunting locations or states.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
How hard of a Draw is it to land a Tit Tag? Does it take quite a few Preference Points? How much "research" is involved,to be able to routinely go where 30 other guys already are,within a 1 mile radius?

Few folks make a "point",like you do.............

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
6x footage from last week.

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Shot a Meat Buck in the head,year before last at 752yds CBS,7 Whizzum Montucky/162 6x42.

I guess I should start uploading a bunch more footage..............(grin)

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That is one helluva a shot!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hardly. Given the rifle,it's ammo,the glass and the Operator...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson

[Linked Image]

Well done Sam.

"Got my fancy..uh..300 chit mag over there"....TFF and classic

Nail

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Didn't realize it was a video,thinking instead...it was a pic of open terrain for consideration.

Should hang the 11 second breakfast link............

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Nail
"Got my fancy..uh..300 chit mag over there"....TFF and classic

Nail

Isn't that what the S in WSM stands for???

(grin)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Isn't that what the S in WSM stands for???

(grin)

Dude.....excellent! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you approve!

(grin)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
if you want to use a rifle scope for all three, or even two of those jobs, it speaks volumes, and needs no further information to get a clear picture of "trophies" collected by said hunter.

From around 4 pages ago...Are you getting a parallax free picture now Jon? The fact that you were pegged from the get go, is only lost on you. (pun intended)

Now your gonna hand out LR shooting lessons, as if we needed them..But keep guessing if it makes you feel better, I've a suspicion things will only get worse.

Last edited by rosco1; 08/01/10.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

[Linked Image]

Trick shooter!! 300 chit mag, love it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice video sam!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sam, nice little movie! Can I come over and play?

BTW where did you get that POS sling?........grin!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks fellars!

Pat, I found that crappy sling laying in the road ditch...(grin)

We really do need to meet up and blast the steel soon. Once the weather and work cool off, gongs beware!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice video Sam. cool beans

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was shooting my 6x36LR in bad light the other night at 500 yards. Worked fine. However, a little extra magnification is never a bad thing. 8x, or better yet 10x, as long as they're attached to good glass, makes things a bit easier. But 6x is more than doable...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You couldn't even begin to compare what I do and shooting a deer out of a field in your wildest dreams.

You're right, you never would have gotten close enough in this "field."
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best stick to hillsides where animals stand at rock throwing distances.

Your animals are not even in the same ballpark as the one I pictured.

The animal you posted didn't qualify. The request was not for animals taken at muzzle loader distances. I didn't post ones like this:

[Linked Image]

Or this

[Linked Image]
(mine was 2nd from the right)

Because they didn't answer the request. The ones posted were taken from a distance and specifically being able to ID them as fitting my minimum requirements at the time was helpful because if I had needed to set up a spotting scope to do that there would not have been time. That was the point.

That's what was asked, so that's what was posted. Pretending to miss the point by quibbling over where I set the minimum requirements is a very transparent concession.

It was clearly mentioned earlier in a hunt I'll have the bar set higher. As the deadline approaches I'll lower it even more as required to fill the freezer.

Anybody who thinks that makes somebody a "bad hunter" really needs to grow up.

Of course a grownup would acknowledge the original points instead of changing the subject at every turn.

The original point Rost made about identifying the right animal, legal animal, acceptable animal, etc, had nothing to do with counting B&C points, "scoring" trophies to impress SCI buddies--obviously that's a whole different ballgame. Pretending that was the claimed capability disingenuous.

The fact that you have 20-30 hunters in a mile radius shows that you are one lazy "hunter". I suggest you buy a pair of boots and a backpack.

This is really rich. The guy in Alaska, taking the number literally, will call people down here names and tell us it's our fault there are other hunters. If you think it's as easy as taking a stroll in order to find yourself in pristine hunting country on public land where there are actually animals you can hunt with over the counter tags and nobody else will be there, please do cough up some GPS coordinates as many here would love to hear of your super secret hunting preserves 10 million people haven't already discovered.

Here's where I'll be hunting in a couple months:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's a nice "field." I call it the Beartooths. Packed in miles from the nearest trailhead. Will we be the only ones there? Not a chance in hell. Will there be any elk there? Maybe. Maybe not. Hope for the right weather. That's about all one can do in the area without paying big bucks to some outfitter who has a bunch herded onto some ranch somewhere.

But of course you deal with all the same stuff up there, right? So you're in perfect position to call hunters down here who find things a bit crowded "lazy." Uh huh. That'll go over real well.

Now with all those diversions out of the way (why is it I answer all your challenges but you answer none of mine?), maybe we can get back to the subject. You've done a good job backing away from having to defend your claims by changing the subject every which way, but you're running out of rope.

None of any of that adds a shred of support to your contention that 6X is the best choice for long range. That being able to see much better through the scope couldn't ever, possibly, in any way, for any reason, be of any use or offer any advantage whatsoevAr!

Focus. Concentrate on your side of the argument. Now attempt to defend it with some sort of logic and experience. Oops, I'll give you a pass on the last one for now, just try and make a logical argument, that'd be a start.

Which brings us back to the poor fellow who asked the question in the first place and was hoping for some help instead of a little stick swinging contest:

Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I'm thinking about adding a turret to my Leupold 6x, but was thinking it might not be enough xs to make it worth the expense. Can the 6x get me to 5-600 yards for big game hunting?

I'm sorry for the way this thread turned out. Any time somebody actually has the balls to disagree with Big Stick and his 'Swingers in public, this is the result. Logic, reason and experience need not apply, the argument goes to who can throw the insults the fastest. That's why few ever do it on this website.

Hopefully you've been able to pick up some info through all the childishness. In short, yes, a 6X can certainly get you to that range. It's certainly enough to hit big game animals at that distance if you're well practice. Also check out my comments in the 3-9X thread.

However, the vast, vast, majority of us who do a lot of shooting at really long range prefer to use higher powered scopes for a multitude of reasons, many of which were described in this thread. So if you want to get serious about LR shooting, you may consider selling the 6X to a Campfire Cult member here and putting your money toward a higher powered scope.

I wouldn't blame you if you can't decide based upon this thread. I encourage you to not take my word for it, but solicit opinions elsewhere--where there is more than one or two loudmouths who actually do it. The campfire is really not the best place to find this type of information for obvious reasons. Sites like long range hunting will have hundreds who can offer such advice based on experience which will give you a better picture than picking the winner of a couple loudmouths.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another question for you Calvin, that you'll hopefully not ignore.

Isn't virtually every single scope you own a Leupold 6X42? Tell me, what higher powered higher quality scopes have you used extensively? Any?

If none, how do you know what you're missing? How can you be offering opinions on what's best? How can you have any clue what's the best when all you've ever known is the Luppy 6X42?

That'd explain some things though....as it does with our resident focusing expert.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know what the game is here... watched and played many times... its all in fun....

But it does piss me off when folks start comparing what they have for hunting, and what others have for hunting... Many different venues there really...

And sometimes its almost impossible to get closer...yet I've killed from about as close as anyone.... 3 steps twice and both with recurves... and not as far as anyone... but hair over 800 as a max so far.

The deal is you make the best of what you have... its no trick to seperate a B/C buck from a midget with a 6x... but here we have some deer that need to be taken out of the gene pool and we have this 13 inch rule.... I currently have a 4.5 yo by guess... thats sporting a nice 7 point rack thats crap..... There are other 8s that are very similar... I need to cull the 7 before he breeds any more.... but to shoot an 8 would be very easy in the melee of the rut or even simply moving through the brush.. out in the open pasture.... not that big of a deal generally.... but I can't control when and where I see them.

But then if some folks can't have their fun... And of course if 6x is end it all... why do you have scopes with more X than that? We've seen the pictures..... grins.

The very worst is around a campfire and not on a damn keyboard... everyone here basically is in the same book... maybe not the same page but the same book. And FWIW extra power for the type of hunting I"ve done... has never been a handicap... now there have been a few times on MZ hunts where we were in thicker stuff..... a fixed 16x would have sucked....

In the end though, I"ll take the best binocs and spotter I can get....and follow that with the best scope I can get.. but the power isn't that big of a factor.... though I have preferences for situations....and lastly the rifle can be teh worst POS really... its only function is to send one good shot.... that could really be a tuned up H/R single shot for all practical purposes... while that also wouldn't be my choice, thats the descending order I"d spend money in... Binocs, spotter, rifle scope, rifle....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Another question for you Calvin, that you'll hopefully not ignore.

Isn't virtually every single scope you own a Leupold 6X42? Tell me, what higher powered higher quality scopes have you used extensively? Any?

If none, how do you know what you're missing? How can you be offering opinions on what's best? How can you have any clue what's the best when all you've ever known is the Luppy 6X42?

That'd explain some things though....as it does with our resident focusing expert.

I can't believe you typed all those words, just to prove you are a [bleep] hunter and you really don't have the slightest clue as to what you are talking about. Doesn't it bother you that other western state hunters kill quality animals on a regular basis, and the you can pull out of your ass is some dinks killed in a sea of other hunters? If I were you, I'd start rethinking how I was doing things.

Took inventory this morning. Do I like 6x42's? Yep. My safe is dominated by them, and I dare you to find a [bleep] rifle in my pile of 6x42'd rifles. And yes, I've owned/own other scopes. I give them to the kids in town to borrow, as I don't have much use for them.

I'd take any of my rifles, over your current abortion.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why dont you just wrap that pile o [bleep] up in a bed sheet and send it to kansas... smile

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The title of the thread is: 6x scope for longish range". Lets see how many 6x scopes Jon is running, to give him an opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jon A. is a first rate [bleep] much like J.O. Not worth the time........

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Found my 7-08 Ti sitting in the back of the safe without a scope on it.. How did that happen?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Jon A. is a first rate [bleep] much like J.O. Not worth the time........

For some reason I keep thinking about Elmer Fudd..

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Weird...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Weird...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

LMAO

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Found my 7-08 Ti sitting in the back of the safe without a scope on it.. How did that happen?
I got a scope for it.....send it to me and I will put it on. grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So mostly what I"m reading here is that the deer Jon A is posing with... can't actually be dead, because he didn't use a 6x.... ya know thats how y'all is coming across to folks that don't understand your games.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Or, they couldn't have been killed with a 6x...cuz thats how he comes across to folks that don't understand a blowhard.

It is amusing to read the hypothetical crap he comes up with for argument sake..That are non-issues in the real world, but he wouldn't know that, cuz he's never sorted it out, other than in an armchair.

I actually prefer a 10x over a 6x, but after reading too many BS posts by Jon, I finally said something in this one...I'm not advocating the 6x is the be all end all in rifle scopes.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I totally agree that anything can be killed with a 6x... but when it comes to sorting out.... thats different, but given a single target... 6x is actually enough and that would easily work way on out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=rosco1]Or, they couldn't have been killed with a 6x...cuz thats how he comes across to folks that don't understand a blowhard.

It is amusing to read the hypothetical crap he comes up with for argument sake..That are non-issues in the real world, but he wouldn't know that, cuz he's never sorted it out, other than in an armchair.

I actually prefer a 10x over a 6x, but after reading too many BS posts by Jon.............quote]

Good to see someone out there actually understands. A very accurate asessment, methinks........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer to mount my 6X backwards so stuff seems really farish......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't believe you typed all those words, just to prove you are a [bleep] hunter....

As expected, instead of answering anything that would require you had a bit of knowledge or experience, you call me a name. Ouch. You're a real winner. Oh, and Karma's a bitch.

Took inventory this morning. Do I like 6x42's? Yep. My safe is dominated by them,

Thanks for the confirmation. So we know that:

1) You have never done any real amount of long range shooting.

2) You don't own/have never used any scope higher than 6X.

Therefore, you're here in the Long Range Section, telling us that 6X scopes are the absolute best for Long Range.

That tells us all we really need to know right there.

Well, there's more to tell I guess. It appears you do have some experience at "long range" (285 whole yards!) taking an animal while "scope clicking" (yes, he clicked the scope for a 285 yard shot!).

[Linked Image]

Wow. Just, wow. Of course I'm not the type of person of such low character I'd call another hunter a [bleep] hunter for shooting small, immature animals. Maybe I just don't know "what kind" of deer that is. Is that a pygmyblackmidgetmoustailed deer? I'm not familiar with all the species you guys have up there. This could be a trophy for all I know.

You actually clicked up for a 285 yd shot! Good thing you had those turrets!

I spotted (and they spotted me) 3 very large bucks across a bowl up in alpine, 500 yards. Had I been proficient with turrets and LR shooting, I would have gotten one of them

Now that's just sad. And you come to the Long Range section to call people names and tell them what equipment they should be using. Sad.

You are a child. You have not yet learned how to walk. You have zero knowledge or experience from which to speak. You're the last person in the world who should be calling people names over their running form.

When people with infinitely more experience than you are nice enough to spend some of their valuable time explaining things to you, you'd be best served to listen and try to learn.

Or you can stay proud and never learn, so any buck much beyond muzzleloader range will continue to be completely safe from your skills, or lack thereof.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you know those "BS posts by Jon" those guys were talking about?

that was another one...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The backpack does make that deer look kinda small.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This has been an interesting thread....... grin

I will disqualify myself as a real "LR Shooter/Hunter" since my ability to practice regularly ends at 600 yards back here,and compared to some living on the east coast i am pretty lucky to have even that....

When I shoot 600 yards I have done it successfully on the range with a 6X scope;and in the game fields I have forced a fixed 4X to service at 400-500 yards on elk, antelope and mule deer, so my short answer is "yes" I think 6X is "enough" for those distances.......

...and at the same time I suppose I could think of situations to be encountered in the field, where more power could be helpful as well,though I must admit that a bull elk or moose looks pretty darn big to me even through a 4X at 600 yards grin....but like my Alberta outfitter says......"it can't hurt to see a little bit more hair around that reticle sometimes........." grin

When we have to make decisions in split seconds on the size game, I am a binocular guy myself, but can understand where a quick evaluation through a scope could be handy when game is positively ID'd and we are ferreting animals from a small group or herd.

OTOH I have never seen a truly large whitetail, mule deer, or elk that did not just leap off the page at me,and with or without bins they looked like exactly what they were.......BIG!

Like many issues raised on the CF, best way to determine if a 6X is good for shooting to 600 yards is......(drum roll).....to do it;get out and shoot one to 600 yards smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This rather funny, and I wish I wasn't going fishing here in a few so I could put together a better response. 3am? Having trouble sleeping?

-Post your 6x scopes.
-Post where I said I've never done any LR shooting
- show me a hunter who doesn't have some dink pictures. The issue isn't having dink pictures, it's only having dink pictures.. which is your problem.
-enlighten me where I said a 6x scope was the Absolute Best
#5, show me where "dominated" means exclusively.

You are simply retarded. I can here you whimpering all the way from up here. I could go out tomorrow and kill a buck at 4-800 yds, with any of the rifles I have pictured. Will that make me any more or less skilled? Hell no. It'd make me a something I have no desire to be. I'll do everything in my power to get closer and take the closest ethical shot possible. I'd take the long shot if the right buck, in the right conditions presented himself though. Their are a lot of guys on here who could out shoot you and have better rifles than you, but have no desire to intentionally take LR shots at animals, just so they can join some imaginary club you set up.

Long Range hunting means different things, to different people. For some of us, it means hunting at long range with the aid of optics, and being prepared to take a long range shot if that is our only option to take an exceptional animal. It is not wearing our Elmer Fudd hat and intentionally setting up at a long distance and shooting the first dink we see walk across the field.

Explain to us this imaginary club you have set up. How many dinks does a guy have to shoot at beyond 400 yds in a field before he joins your circle of jerking..?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My lone clicking meat buck.
[Linked Image]
Spotted him at 580 bedded down on a ridge top, thought about taking the shot, but had cover to navigate closer. Made it to around 285 before I got to the point where I couldn't get any closer without losing sight of him. Clicked a whopping 2.2moa and made a perfect lung shot on him while he was still bedded down. I could have just held 6" high and hit the lungs on him while bedded down, but using the turrets was just way cooler.

Honestly, my lightbulb moment was 2 seasons ago when I spotted (and they spotted me) 3 very large bucks across a bowl up in alpine, 500 yards. Had I been proficient with turrets and LR shooting, I would have gotten one of them, as they stopped several times to look at me, as they worked their way up a slide and into and endless sea of cover, never to be seen again. I ended up settling on a smaller 4x4 buck that trip, but that sure got me thinking about the advantages of being able to take a longer shot with confidence, in the field. The big mountain bucks up here that have survived a few alpine seasons and their share of mountain hunters didn't get big by being stupid, that's for sure. I've spent a considerable amount of time practicing for that 4-500yd shot with my lwt mountain rifles. Who knows, but it could pay off here this fall. Lord knows I'll be up on the mountains looking.

Last edited by joecool544; 08/03/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few quick points:
-Post your 6x scopes.

You are a dull one, aren't you. Other than the fixed 4X atop the 30-30 I used in the early 80's, all the scopes I've hunted with have been capable of 6X. And they do, in fact, spend a great deal of time on 6X while hunting. What it's like to use a 6X scope is no mystery to anybody. We've all been there and done that.

Using a high powered scope for long range shooting, is a mystery to you. That's the point. Maybe someday when you actually try one, you'll see they're a better tool for the job.
-Post where I said I've never done any LR shooting

Your own words quoted by Joe above clearly show you by any stretch have yet to do "any real amount of long range shooting."

I could go out tomorrow and kill a buck at 4-800 yds, with any of the rifles I have pictured.

Easy there, buckaroo. A few weeks ago you were only good to 4-500? And now you're ready to fling lead at 800? There's a large difference between the two and I'd advise you to take things a bit more gradually for the animals' sake.

You know, work your way up gradually. Maybe take one at 286 or 287 yds...break that monumental 300 yds threshold first....

It is not wearing our Elmer Fudd hat and intentionally setting up at a long distance and shooting the first dink we see walk across the field.

When all else fails, make something up, eh? I've never done anything of the sort (not that there's anything wrong with it for those who want to) and if you weren't the dimmest bulb in the fixture this thread makes that pretty obvious. If I was doing that, I'd certainly have the spotter and bigeyes setup as there would be plenty of time to do it--the exact opposite of what I've been saying. But don't let facts get in your way.

Explain to us this imaginary club you have set up.

Since you made it up and it exists only in your imagination, why are you asking me to explain it? I have zero interest in "clubs." I'll leave that to you and the rest of the Big Stick Fan Club. How many 6X42's with turrets do you need to buy to get into that one?

Which brings me to:

with any of the rifles I have pictured.

I noticed ALL of your rifles have turrets. And yet, just a little while ago 500 yds was way beyond your capabilities. What on earth were you doing with all those turrets all that time? I guess they looked good for the pictures.... Clear evidence of "I wanna be like Big Stick" syndrome that afflicts your Big Stick Fan Club.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by toad
you know those "BS posts by Jon" those guys were talking about?

that was another one...

Care to be specific? Was that not Calvin's trophy long range kill? Did he not say those things (they were exact quotes)?

Answer this:

Since the L 6X42 is the best scope for long range, why don't you use them on your long range rifles? Why have you wasted so much money on those fancy high powered very expensive long range scopes?

Explain yourself.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Answer this:

Since the L 6X42 is the best scope for long range, why don't you use them on your long range rifles? Why have you wasted so much money on those fancy high powered very expensive long range scopes?

Explain yourself.

top rifle is a 12 pound range toy.

bottom rifle is a brux barreled .264 hunting rig. note the optics. the HUNTING rig wears the 6x42 M1

now, maybe rifle "A" might work fine for shooting dinks in an alfalfa field besides pounding steel, but rifle "B" is gonna be the one to really go hunting and it will be the one i count on most betwixt the two.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'd shoot something in the face with either of them!!! grins

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You didn't answer the question. If the 6X is better, or even as good for long range, why don't you have one on your long range rife? Stating you don't hunt with it is not an answer. This is the Long Range Hunting section, where many hunt with long range rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you are an idiot!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toad, NICE sticks, what's that LA range toy chambered in?

6.5/284 or 300 Win?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
65BR, it is also .264 Win Mag, chambered with the same reamer. it has a Lilja #7, three groove barrel. the AI .300 Win. magazines work like a champ with .264

i found a guy selling once fired .264 brass from a ballistics lab a year or so ago and got 5K. i've always had a .264 around, but now i can "justify" a few more.

Paul, tell me about your .264. i've seen it mentioned but never saw the particulars.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, thought maybe you were set up for comp or tac shooting.

Cheap brass, helps, but 5k should burn out ALOT of 264 WM bbls smile

Again, nice rifles.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
just saw this.....Here's my experience with 6X. Yes it will work for long range..Had mine on a custom .284. Could hit clay birds at 600 reliably. Had to hold off as the cross hair coverd them up but it worked ok. but i didn't like it in actual hunting conditions. I was trying to get a mule deer buck that was feeding in some oak brush just a little over 400 yds away. He was with 4 other bucks. As they were working through the brush it was very hard to keep track of him as well as be sure that I could thread a bullet through a openeing in the brush. Going back and forth between the scope and binocs sucked up too much time. Let him walk. With a higher power scope I would have taken the shot. On my three long range rifles,.300 Ultra, .270 ROY, and .257 ROY I now have 4.5X14 Leupys and all is good.

Left C

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No cookie cutter approach for scopes for hunters in EVERY situation. A variable to 10x up thru 16x is not out of place for you Left C.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
JanA,

You get pretty lippy for someone who's "knowledge base" and "experience",consist of a coupla Rats,some Titts and an A-Bort. Though it is fitting,that your "results" run commensurate with those very things,if only because that's Reality.

Let's have you take the comedy even further and muse your chamberings/boolits and the like,while really driving home how those "big X's" work in your favor. Then say something about how you'd of never managed those Rats or Titts,less them things(feel free to burn extra bandwidth on the X Thing).

Would be fun to gun for Pink Slips with your A-Bort and them Fantasies,against my "lowly" 6x...if only because wrapping that POS around a tree would crack me up.

You are in so far over your pointy head,it is amazing. Here I am hanging sub .5MOA at the 710yd line,while laughing at the likes of you and merely gunning center mass less an aiming point(in the wind).

LINK

Closeup.

[Linked Image]

Real World results of same,in the field(from a 13yr old girl,no less)..............

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are in so far over your pointy head,it is amazing.

You're right. When it comes to firing off insults in rapid fire, making things up and otherwise showing complete lack of integrity, you and your crew have me beat. Easily. No contest. Though those are not areas in which I wish to "compete."

I think this guy on SH summed it up well the last time you got banned (I think it was the last time anyway, but it's hard to keep track):

It's worth those of us who are not banned (over and over) to take note that this individual was not able to support what he was saying and attempted to put the onus back on the individual he was trying to troll. A very common method which is used in cases where people can't support what they want to argue. Deflect from having to provide input and force others to run around�Repeated bans and comming back for more indicates some real "life" issues.

Still helping push rumors Nightforce scopes are made in China? Or as you call them, "Nightfarce?" No wonder you're so well liked with the long range crowd. Just another example, when you decide you don't like something facts and the truth matter little.

Here I am hanging sub .5MOA at the 710yd line,

Seriously? Nice shots on the edge of the plate. You do realize those would have been completely out of the 1100 yd bull I posted even though they were shot in better conditions, right? A good group on a critter's kneecap is better than a hole through the vitals?

Feel free to overwhelm us with video of shooting beyond 1000 yds. Of course I have the feeling if you had any you would have posted it already instead of that tired old 700 yd bit.

Just like if you actually had an answer to my question on techniques to deal with wind, you would have answered. But it's much easier to call me a name. That doesn't require any actual knowledge. See the above quote.

Getting back to the point, the annoying thing is that while you have thrown a few rounds at range, your group of disciples who are here 24/7 (because they aren't constantly getting banned) pushing the 6X fixed with turrets on everybody for every application by and large haven't done a damn thing beyond muzzleloader range. And yet they're here in the long range section telling people how to do it and what to do it with. "Over their pointy little heads," you might say.

Oh well, clueless or not, if their advice saves a few long range people from buying "NightFarces" that should give you a giggle. We all know they suck for LRH.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Careful who you speak for numb nuts.I've done plenty at long range, it wasn't the point of this thread,of which you haven't understood since the beginning.(at least what I've been trying to tell you)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huh.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Careful who you speak for numb nuts.

Oh, I wasn't speaking for you, don't flatter yourself. While you also prefer higher powered scopes like I do, you decided to hypocritically argue the other side for some reason, making things up to do it. I'll let that speak for itself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Stick what's the green stuff on the knobs on Lil Sis's rig?

Tape?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
"Stick, how long have you been away from this place.

That young lady is getting all grown up. I have missed your pics of the kids doing the things that turn boys into men and girls into women.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
my longest shot on an animal was a 140 lb buck at 700 yards. He was grazing with his head facing left, and I had time to get the distance with the Leica, dial up the yardage on the scope.

I was shooting a custom 7 STW with the 140 Combined Tec bullet at 3650 with a 8-32 Burris Black Diamond on top. At 32x, on the left side of the crosshair I could see a little bit of his head and a hint of hair on his shoulder. On the left side of the crosshair, I could see the back of his rib cage and butt. With the Vias muzzle break, at the shot, I could see that he folded in half like an accordian.

We have a food plot set up that is 550 yards from our stand, closest shot. If the wind is blowing the right direction, we may hunt that stand (deer will often walk with their noses into the wind to smell predators or does in heat in front of them). It is amazing how many times you may opt not to take a shot due to a limb or small sapling being in the way that would not be visable with a lower powered scope.

No one scope can do it all, and I am certainly not advocating the use of high powered scopes all the time for deer sniping.

It is important to match your equipment to the application and know your limitations.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by keith
(deer will often walk with their noses into the wind to smell predators or does in heat in front of them).

Thanks

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by keith
(deer will often walk with their noses into the wind to smell predators or does in heat in front of them).

Thanks

Classic! laffin'

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jon,

I didn�t know that Aerospace Engineers didn�t not ain�t can�t be technically savvy�if only...just sayin'...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
You are in so far over your pointy head,it is amazing.

You're right. When it comes to firing off insults in rapid fire, making things up and otherwise showing complete lack of integrity, you and your crew have me beat. Easily. No contest. Though those are not areas in which I wish to "compete."

I think this guy on SH summed it up well the last time you got banned (I think it was the last time anyway, but it's hard to keep track):

It's worth those of us who are not banned (over and over) to take note that this individual was not able to support what he was saying and attempted to put the onus back on the individual he was trying to troll. A very common method which is used in cases where people can't support what they want to argue. Deflect from having to provide input and force others to run around�Repeated bans and comming back for more indicates some real "life" issues.

Still helping push rumors Nightforce scopes are made in China? Or as you call them, "Nightfarce?" No wonder you're so well liked with the long range crowd. Just another example, when you decide you don't like something facts and the truth matter little.

Here I am hanging sub .5MOA at the 710yd line,

Seriously? Nice shots on the edge of the plate. You do realize those would have been completely out of the 1100 yd bull I posted even though they were shot in better conditions, right? A good group on a critter's kneecap is better than a hole through the vitals?

Feel free to overwhelm us with video of shooting beyond 1000 yds. Of course I have the feeling if you had any you would have posted it already instead of that tired old 700 yd bit.

Just like if you actually had an answer to my question on techniques to deal with wind, you would have answered. But it's much easier to call me a name. That doesn't require any actual knowledge. See the above quote.

Getting back to the point, the annoying thing is that while you have thrown a few rounds at range, your group of disciples who are here 24/7 (because they aren't constantly getting banned) pushing the 6X fixed with turrets on everybody for every application by and large haven't done a damn thing beyond muzzleloader range. And yet they're here in the long range section telling people how to do it and what to do it with. "Over their pointy little heads," you might say.

Oh well, clueless or not, if their advice saves a few long range people from buying "NightFarces" that should give you a giggle. We all know they suck for LRH.

JanA,

You quoting someone as dumb as you,is well beyond Priceless. That's humor on an incredible number of layers and upon an impressive scale to boot!

Feel free to wax eloquent upon how in your "experience" a sub .5MOA windage adjustment at the 710yd line,precludes vitals from being aerated? A 3" shift in impact,won't keep The Dirt Nap from happening and that despite the obvious of the focus being an inkling as to how a 162 slips Real World conditions,less erector manipulation. That same is well over your head,do only sweeten the comedy associated with your "knowledge base".

1000yds is only "neat" to you,because you do so little of it. That humor is frosted nicely with your impetus that the superfulous X's you tout,very obviously do not enhance your "performance results". Pretty impressive to me,that you can't see a Good Critter,either nor or far. I'm curious though..just HOW can you be that bad and repeatedly?!!?

So much for the adage,that "every squirrel gets a nut". More accurately in your case it'd be,"JanA can't magnify herself outta The Dink Patch". As an aside,sucking ain't a "technique"(it's an affliction),despite your impressive mastery of same. Just thought I'd clarify that for you,if only in the interest of helping your game. Pun intended.

Grab hold of an A-Bort,toss her about and send a trio of pokes down range from MPAJ and please pick a dead calm day,so as to add to the inherent humor. Then touch base on how those Real World A-Bort Findings,do much to "enable" your Haybale Safaris and the sidesplitting "results" garnered. Drive it home with a Treatise on how all them X's aligned said "stars" and how you are operating in an AO of "magnitude". I'm laughing thinking about it!

Here's the same rifle at 1K,after I had a pard shoot a belly full MPAJ in pretty tough winds. He ran 3 for 3 on the rock his hand covers and I'm thinkin' you'll like the video too. For conversation,he raced home,bought a like rifle and scoped it in accordance...feeding it same(162's at 3100fps+). Sold his 300Ultra Sendero,to pave that path and admittedly all I could say was "Toldjaso". Funny how seeing is believing.

[Linked Image]

Put him on a Book Bear too,though it'll take you outta your "performance" realm,beings there was neither barbed wire nor haybales involved. Figured my Blaze Of Glory FN SPR A1 308 wearing a 3.5-10x M3 and scooting Scenar's,would make a nice Trophy Pic. Whatcha think? Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Great time to say something about boolits,ballistics and the like�so the hilarity will reach new pinnacles. Only you,could pull something of that magnitude off and to know that you're oblivious to it's splendor,really is in fact SOMETHIN'. I'll happily rub your nose in your own stupidity,if only because there is soooooooooo much of it.

You go girl!

With luck,you'll feel compelled to reiterate your unbridled stupidity and mebbe hang some pics of the "spoils". Everyone gets a good yuck outta titty pics and Rat Dinks,especially when conjoined with a "riveting" tale,on how "years of experience" and a "deep understanding" of rifles/glass/boolits "enabled" same. Hell...I dare ya'.

I'm happy to muse glass,chamberings,contours,barrel length,load data,boolits,bases/rings,etc. and much look forward to doing it at your expense. Fingers crossed,that you wanna brag up an A-Bort too...but we both know better than that.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then mebbe you'll say something about only one rifle and only one scope and round count?!? Can't wait...and admitterdly,noone casts purtier than I..........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr. Larry,

That's a pretty impressive collection of tactical style,long range rifles.

I only have one such rifle that resembles any of them,it is my most capable long range rig and I used it for my longest kill.

A Utah mule deer at 480 yards.

That rifle is chambered for 7mm Weatherby and shoots 160 grain Accubonds mostly.

But for most of my hunting,I'd rather carry something lighter and quicker handling,with a scope without turrets or a long range reticle.

This pretty much limits me to a max of 400 yards,or maybe 350 depending upon the chambering.

For most of my hunting,which I am pretty serious about,this is no great impediment.

You just seem pretty dogmatic,but I'd still love to meet you in real life.

I'm sure you could teach me a lot,but you might find you can pick up a little from a guy like me too.

PS

I loved your barrel break in video on you tube,first rate stuff.

PSS

ABolts can actually work pretty good,I've had a few that shot really well and gave me no troubles.

Later,

RD

Last edited by ruraldoc; 08/09/10.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We have a rock on our local range at 725 yds... it is plenty visible with a 6 power scope..its about the size of a deer's body..

I practice shooting at it frequently from the bench with a 6 power scope...of course off hand at 725 yds would be a little ridiculous... however practicing off the bench sure sharpens up the old eyeball with the scope and makes hitting stuff at say 300 yds off hand a lot easier..as it seems so much closer..

off season practice with a 6 power scope on small targets with a 22 at say 75 and 100 yds, does wonders for getting ready for deer season..

it is amazing on how fast that can help..

come pre deer season, I set up 4 targets at 100 yds, and shoot 25 rounds at each off hand.. I do a 100 shots a day, and do that for about 2 weeks or say 1000 rounds of ammo...

how many shots that actually are hitting the target part of the 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper dramatically increase per day...and you watch your groups shrink dramatically also..

I use a 6 power scope for that...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey John,

A couple years ago a cousin asked me to help him sight in his old 3006 the week before the rifle opener. Of course the range was packed. We dialed in his rifle with a tight handload I did up for him. A dozen or so shooters on sat waiting on some cross eyed drooler banging away from the bench with his mini 14 at a stick down at the 100 yard burm, of course without hitting it. Everyone was waiting on the tard and being polite not saying anything. He finished his mag and immediately reached for another 30 round mag. Most just watched in disbelief at his rudeness.

Standing beside a bench, I reached down and grabbed the cousins nicely sighted 06 and quickly nuked the stick off hand and quickly put the rifle back down. The entire line looked up and saw what happened except the shooter. The mini 14 ninja couldn't find his stick and someone else yelled all clear.

The whole line was busting up and the dork didn't have a clue. His girl friend was even sitting beside him and caught the whole thing. It was priceless, wish you where there.

Mike

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only thing surprising about that response was just how incoherent and nonsensical it was. You must have been really worked up.

You had two simple tasks:

1) Describe you technique of wind compensation for a shot such as mentioned; sort of an oral quiz so we can judge whether or not you have a clue. And you FAILED quite nicely. All you could say was how those 162's you use "slip" the conditions in the real world such that you don't need to compensate? Seriously?

You expect long range shooters not to double over with laughter at that "inkling?" That tells us all we need to know right there.

2) Provide some video evidence to WOW us with your much bragged about prowess beyond 1000 yards. You FAILED spectacularly with this one as well. All you could do is come up with a picture of somebody else with his hand on a rock? Seriously?

Nice pics. You sure must know that Leupold 6X42 like the back of your hand. You must be the world's foremost expert on them (maybe second only to E). So if a guy has owned 100 scopes and 97 of them were Leupold 6X42's with a couple odd 3.5-10's thrown in, what does he really know about long range scopes? Very little.

Tell me, what do you think of those S&B PMII's? What have been your favored power ranges over the years? Which of their reticles do you like the best? Double turn or single turn? MTC a help or a hindrance? What don't you like about them? Where do they fall short when compared with the L 6X42's for long range use? Please, do give us your thoughts based upon experience.

How about those Premiers? Similar to S&B performance in a different package you'd say? Which ones have you had? XR or no? Double or single turn work best for you? Rings on the ends and included caps cool or a PITA? What didn't you like about them? What does that 6X42 do these don't? (As a side note, interesting to note the USMC going from fixed 10X to 3-12X and now 3-15X...I guess they just don't know as much as you.)

How are you liking the new Vortex PST? Everything a MK 4 wants to be when it grows up at 1/2 the markup? Are they all they're cracked up to be? How do they compare? Which flavor is your preference, FFP, SFP, MOA, MIL? Knobs that match the reticle, how stupid is that? Have you found any issues with yours?

How about those IOR's? Now there's some glass for the money. How have you found their durability? Did the older covered knob scopes track for you well? Were their measured click values as advertised? How about the newer big exposed knob scopes? Any flaws with those? How do you find their SFP vs. FFP reticles? Didn't their old illumination suck? How are you liking their new illumination? Can you really see better through a 10X IOR than you can through a 14X Leupold?

How about those Super Snipers? The newer variables? Have you found a single thing the Leupold 3.5-10 can do that the 3-9 SS can't do better? While I prefer more power for hunting, you can sure bang steel with that 1-4X24HD at 500 yds no problem can't you!

What about the regular Vortex Vipers? How have those been tracking for you? Is the glass really better than Leupold at a lower price? Despite their low price they�re tough as hell, no? What has been your experience?

I could go on, and it is fun, but I feel bad as those are all trick questions. We know damn well you likely haven't used or even looked through any of those scopes, much less owned any. But you sure know those L 6X42's like the back of your hand. But when that's all you know, you don't really know much do you? You don't know what you don't know.

Much like E, when he says his L is bright and sharp as any other scope when he's never even looked through the other. You don't know what you're missing.

Maybe when you actually own and use a few different high quality long range scopes for a few years, you can come back to us and speak from experience for once. You can tell us exactly why your L 6X42 is better for long range than all the others.

But right now you just don't know. You have no clue what you're missing.

As to your incoherent rant above where you call me names and insult me for things you've imagined about me, none needs any response except for one request I'll make:

When you're referring to me preferring higher powers for long range in the derogatory tones, replace me with [Every Long Range Shooter In The Entire World Except For BIG STICK] as that is much more nearly accurate.

See, you're really out on your own on this. All by yourself. The couple here who joined in to argue on your behalf because they couldn't pass up a good leghump don't limit themselves to 6X for long range. And of your group of brainwashed disciples, it appears there's nobody qualified to comment.

It's just you. You vs. the entire rest of the LR shooting community.

That's what makes your personal attacks on me so funny. You can call me names, make things up about me, insult me all you like....

And that doesn't do anything to change the fact 99.99% of the rest of the LR shooting community agrees with me. You need to track all the rest of them down and call them names too! You need attack every single other person who shoots long range because they all know you're wrong too.

I wonder what percentage of LR rifles built by guys like Shawn Carlock, etc, are fitted with a Leupold 6X42 for long range use? A better question is if a single one ever has been. Even if one or two have, the ones fitted with higher powered "Nightfarces" and the like outnumber them 100 to 1.

Because they're better tools for the job. And that's clearly evident to everybody else in the entire world of LR shooting, except for you.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I heard through the grapevine that he lost a child a few days ago. Pray for the guy and his family during such a tragic time.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ohhhhh, geez....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Damn, terrible news.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tragic. I simply can not fathom anything more heart wrenching than loosing a child. My sincerest condolences to you and your family Larry.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I heard through the grapevine that he lost a child a few days ago. Pray for the guy and his family during such a tragic time.

Prayers sent!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
your in our prayers Larry

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Prayers sent. Be strong, my friend.

Public landowner...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
prayers sent, Larry. let me know if there is anything we can do...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tough deal, sad to hear it.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Larry,Prayers sent to you and your family.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Too Heavy, Praying for you and your family.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's terrible news. My deepest sympathies.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thats terrible....prayers.

Dink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My cincerest condolences. Prayers sent.

Carl

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prayers sent from our camp to yours.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tragic thing...deepest sympathies.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Deepest sympathies for the tragic loss.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sad news. Prayers sent.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Larry,

Sorry to hear about your loss,I will pray for you at this time.

Feel free to contact me at any time. Steelhead knows how to find me.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.