-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched Dad draw his last breath, which is something you both don't wish to see, yet know you should be there to see.

After work one day in Fresno, I pull up to a stoplight on a hot afternoon, to see a man laying on the hot asphalt, with a crumpled bicycle, and a car with smashed windshield nearby. I had only been there a few seconds, and was trying to decide what to do, when a cop rolled up and raced out of his car to the victim.

After looking at the victim for a moment, the cop walked slowly back to his car.

A minute later a lady in a nurse uniform did the same thing, jumped out of her car, raced to him, then walked back to her car after a moment. I did not see the detail of the injuries, but gathered they were un-survivable. The man appeared poorly clothed, perhaps homeless. A couple days later, a small cross was erected with his name. It was a small comfort to me, that at least he was loved and missed.

Seen a few injuries of varying severity over the years, none fatal, however.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Head on collision between a water cooled, 2 stroke 750 Suzuki (water buffalo) and Chevy Suburban,..back around 1984, or so.

Bike doing about 70,..Suburban doing about 50,..about 50 yards in front of me.

I was on another bike.

The Suburban knocked the Suzuki back in my direction but to my left.

It happened in a lot less time than it takes to tell about it.

My memory of it is an enormous *BLAM!*,..the bike tumbling end over end in the opposite direction that it had been traveling an instant before, the Suburban going off the road behind the tumbling bike and punching through a white board painted fence, then having to get on the brakes and swerving right to keep my bike from hitting the body laying in the middle of the road.

Which one was in the wrong lane?

The bike.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by austincohoon13
Witnessed three deaths myself. The first was a man who was ejected from his truck going down the highway. He came to a stop a good 60 yards from the highway when he smacked into an oak tree in front of the Chinese restaurant I had just walked out of. He wasn't dead immediately upon impact and he didn't want to die either. I watched his whole struggle as he succumbed to death in the end. I was five years old at the time.

Why did you have to say it was a Chinese restaurant and not just a restaurant?? You some kind of bigot? laugh

Last edited by RS308MX; 01/30/14.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by fatjack34
The real question is...Have you ever killed a dude or dudette? War does count...

Ran over a guy in the road one night that was passed out. He didn't make it to the ER. He was a white guy.

I almost did that one dark night.

I don't know why the guy decided to sit in the middle of the road,..well,..other than he was drunk.

After I got my truck stopped I got out and drug him over into the ditch,..told him to stay there.

There was a bicycle laying nearby. I don't know if he wrecked on it or what, but he didn't seem hurt.

He was grumping and mumbling something at me as I drug him into the ditch.

,...only time I ever called the cops on somebody,..and only because I was afraid his drunk ass would crawl back out into the road.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you paint all your pictures with invisible paint?

Bless your heart, what a miserable soul you must be.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Mickey- Some folk are just not used to people making a distinction when referring to people of one shade or another.

Just regional thing I suppose.

Sounded to me like PSA just letting the world know that he not only was above such but that he heartily condemned anybody that made that distinction. If I had first said 'a woman' nobody would have known that she was black. wink She still got the best treatment we could give anybody.....at no charge.

Yea, you should have said 'soul'. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by curdog4570
What Mickey sees in his mind's eye when he recalls it is a Young, Black, woman.

To relate it otherwise would lack the poignancy of the way he told it.

Bingo.

You want to hear a man tell of his experiences, you listen to the recollections of the man.

I could say some people are pricks.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
� some people are pricks.

� and some of 'em like to flaunt it as something to be proud of. crazy

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was with my Dad when he slipped the surly bonds of this earth.

Have seen many others dead and stinking, but not when they actually died, mostly Iraqi's.

Don't care to see anymore.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Furprick
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
[quote=Pharmseller] �
If you can find any evidence that MColeman suggested inferiority or superiority in his post, it's because you put it there. �

Duh evva-luvvin' troof, well said! [/qu

His choice of words are from ,at least , a race conscious background. Therefore , he probably had no malicious motive to describe the woman in that way. Just as my parents described dark skinned people as ni__ers back in the 50's.
Anyway, if it was my daughter I would only accept that she be described as a young woman.

Only retards aren't race conscious.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
How do most of you see it? How do others perceive it? This is not a direct attack on Mickey, but on the culture. On the other hand BC30cal, who is neither friend or foe, but does live in my area, can relate a story where I have no idea what the person is like other than the music being played was generally deemed "not of his generation". So I guess there is regional differences , and by my estimation (all though we may not agree on many things) is a class act. Something to be learned here boys and girls.

hey sometimes a guy just wants authentic Chop Suey I reckon

If I may be so bold as to speak for others, and since you admit to making an attack, I'll tell you how I see it.

When an attack is made over an offense that doesn't exist, as in this case, the attacker comes off as arrogant and/or overly PC, both of which are very annoying. It's like you're shaking your finger at us for something we didn't do.

Mickey simply stated a fact, without prejudice or malice. You took that fact and created something out of it that wasn't there. In doing so you offended everyone else who also saw nothing wrong with the statement and you looked pompous while doing it.

You don't need to ask the first two questions in your post. Simply read the responses with an open mind, not one predisposed to finding racism where none exists.

P

Ever hear of rattling a cage to see what falls out?

Yeah, I have. The shaker is usually bored, an a-hole, or both.

Which are you?

P

Animals in cages rattle cages.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Head on collision between a water cooled, 2 stroke 750 Suzuki (water buffalo) and Chevy Suburban,..back around 1984, or so.

Bike doing about 70,..Suburban doing about 50,..about 50 yards in front of me.

I was on another bike.

The Suburban knocked the Suzuki back in my direction but to my left.

It happened in a lot less time than it takes to tell about it.

My memory of it is an enormous *BLAM!*,..the bike tumbling end over end in the opposite direction that it had been traveling an instant before, the Suburban going off the road behind the tumbling bike and punching through a white board painted fence, then having to get on the brakes and swerving right to keep my bike from hitting the body laying in the middle of the road.

The bike.

So, the bike was Japanese, huh?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've seen a lot from when I worked with the Rescue Squad. Had a young black woman die on us from an embolism caused by childbirth. Same thing killed my mother.

Wouldn't 'young women ' suffice ?

No. Mr. Coleman wrote a narrative explaining what he saw.

Clearly, you should brush up on the basic principles of composition and descriptive writing. Your inability to differentiate between a narrative and a politically incorrect insult speaks volumes with regard to your intellect. It is not a "regional" thing.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

The bike.

You sure it wasn't Chinese? The question was about which was in the Wong lane, right? Oh wait... it was the *wrong* lane. Got it. Never mind.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Racism is generally defined as actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that are based in views that see the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics, and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently.[1][2]

I did a search on this text to see if it was from some kind of Canadian re-education camp for white men in need of political correction and neutering, but it's just Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

I doubt that a Boss Hog would have fared any better.

There's not a lot of "give" in a mid 80's Suburban.

It was an intense situation,...lots of bikes in a group taking a curve on a country road. (Lexingtons long standing "Thursday Night Ride" tradition)

Most of them were old timers who knew the road well and knew how to ride it fast.

The guy on the Suzuki was new to the road and got in over his head trying to ride with the fast boys.

He hit the curve faster than he knew how to handle it,...drifted into the opposite lane and was unlucky enough to meet the Suburban in it.

It ended the ride for me that night and I didn't put very many miles on my bike for the remainder of the season.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It's still a tradition around here,...been going on for more than 5 decades.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You boys would give a 'left' nut to hunt in Canada, especially the western provinces. I could sling trash at y'all but you would be better served by smoking a nice fat doobie, putz a whole new look on the afternoon. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bristoe;
Thanks for the CKM video.

There are a group of sport bikers here that do a few rides every summer, nothing weekly though.

I've worked with one of the riders and known a couple others fairly well over the years as well. They seemed to indicate wildlife collisions were a major concern on a lot of southern BC highways.

There have been a couple major wrecks within a 2-3 miles of our place here involving bikes and wildlife, though if memory serves none of riders died.

One fellow and his wife on a Goldwing took out something like 4 or 5 California Bighorns crossing the highway one day. That was memorable for sure.

Anyway, those fellows on the video seem to know what they're about so I'm guessing wildlife on the road isn't a factor there?

Back in the day when I was riding mostly dirt bikes and mostly off roads, we used to say a wreck was survivable as long as you didn't hit anything and nothing hit you. That wasn't always the case of course.... frown

Thanks again for the video and all the best to you and yours this weekend Bristoe.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Bristoe;
Thanks for the CKM video.

There are a group of sport bikers here that do a few rides every summer, nothing weekly though.

I've worked with one of the riders and known a couple others fairly well over the years as well. They seemed to indicate wildlife collisions were a major concern on a lot of southern BC highways.
There have been a couple major wrecks within a 2-3 miles of our place here involving bikes and wildlife, though if memory serves none of riders died.

One fellow and his wife on a Goldwing took out something like 4 or 5 California Bighorns crossing the highway one day. That was memorable for sure.

Anyway, those fellows on the video seem to know what they're about so I'm guessing wildlife on the road isn't a factor there?

Back in the day when I was riding mostly dirt bikes and mostly off roads, we used to say a wreck was survivable as long as you didn't hit anything and nothing hit you. That wasn't always the case of course.... frown

Thanks again for the video and all the best to you and yours this weekend Bristoe.

Regards,
Dwayne

Wife and I killed a bear with our motorcycle 3 years ago, only off work 6 weeks, wife not hurt, consider ourselves lucky. I could say what kind of bear or motorcycle but I have learned that others may have sensitivities to that. Dwayne your a classy guy on here others could take that example, self included.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.