I would have no problem with either one if the weapon was correct for the purpose (and proven). I keep both an 870 with rifled barrel and sights, along with the correct stock which brings the sights in line without any fooling around, and also a M94 Winchester Trapper in 45 Colt loaded with 7 or 8 320 moderately hard cast bullets and a stout charge of W296. The latter will drill through a bear with most 300s. I keep a few Fosters ready for spattering/scaring bears if necessary, but Brennekes for lethal work if it comes to that.

I do prefer a rifle however for the penetration and speed it offers.

A few years ago we had a customer who refused to leave us alone; I had small boys in our cabin at the time and a bear rattling around on the porch, a return customer from a couple hours earlier (around midnight). I think we had given him 7 opportunities to become afraid of the guns before we gave in and gave him reality. The Brenneke took a broadside path through the shoulders without hitting any of the major bones and he loped off. I went back inside to grab the waiting M94 which was fully loaded and went back out to see if he was ready to lay down. (I had given him two warnings the second time before the final shot, so the magazine was getting light.)

Relaxing didn’t appear to be on his mind at that point so I ran a couple of 300s through him along his length.

[Linked Image]

It wasn’t a very large specimen, but he was enough to hang on to a stout 12 gauge slug which I found next to his hide.

[Linked Image]

The 45 Colt - 16” carbine- had plenty of oomph to run 2 1/2-3’ of the length of the animal and exit.

200 or 220 Partitions would be high on my list out of a proven 30-06 as well.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.