Thanks and food for thought. Klik's experience shows the sorts of things I was worried about are probably true.

I hear you about not bothering with the shotgun if you have something better. Spray and bear bangers are alternate means so I have no plans to stuff anything but slugs in a 12 gauge anyway. I would rather have better sights if I need to protect someone else as well as me. I'm a bit worried about slugs through iron sights. I haven't tested them at the range enough to know if they will shoot to point of aim every time.

I bought and sold a Guide Gun for a few reasons:

1. I think it might not be very rugged compared to the average 870 or bolt action Winchester.

2. The ammo is roll your own or nothing for availability. Either you get Leverevolutions or trapdoor loads. At least the .30-06 will get you into a 180 grain NPT or a bonded bullet in many places.

3. Perhaps most importantly, I am familiar with an 870 pump already. I put a shotgun butt stock on the 7600 so it would point like an 870. Most of my other rifle practice will boil down to Model 70s. The Winchester FWT and sporter stocks fit me better than the straight-gripped lever rifles: I am faster on target for the first shot. More practice with fewer action types should do well for me.

So the lightest option I have is the .30-06 Model 70 I posted above with a 1.5-5x20mm or a 2.5x20mm scope at about 6.75 to 7 pounds. An Aimpoint T-1 might be an option if the things work at lower temperatures. The 7600 weighs about the same.

Medium weight is either the clown camo Ruger .338 WM or a Winchester Alaskan (.338 WM or .375 H&H) at 8 pounds and change.

Heavier and much less fun to carry all day would be a .458 WM Win Safari at 9 pounds plus. Could such a rifle withstand an aluminum floorplate? This rifle will also take a fair bit of expensive practice to master.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 07/27/15.