RE: the buckshot rationale:

20 feet is 6 meters - that is CLOSE. If I can't guarantee a kill or full bear stop with a skull shot at 6 meters with buckshot, then I shouldn't attempt such a thing. Especially considering I could have a rifle at my disposal which could break shoulders at the same range, let alone penetrate a few feet into the bear.

About the last thing I want is some wounded angry wounded free-roaming wounded one-eyed wounded grizzly that I would have to explain to the authorities, let alone one that would kill me for hurting it.

Thanks for your thoughts but I just can't see risking my life or endangering others by trying experiments like that.

I'm not asking for 'should work under the right circumstances'. I want to know what has worked and will work almost every time if I do my part. Brennekes seem like recommended bare minimum given collective experience. The .30-06 with heavy partitions seems a little better than the shotgun.

So buckshot is out of the question for me. I'm even wondering if I should bother with a shotgun. The .30-06 FWT with a 2.5x20mm or an Aimpoint Micro might be lighter, more powerful, more rugged, easier to maintain and maybe easier to work safely with.

Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
There was an interesting Shockey episode on a few weeks' back where a 10 yr old boy dumped a huge, in Shockey's words, "He's as big as they get", black bear in its tracks from about 100yards.

The boy was using a .30/06 with 220gn Partition.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 07/30/15.