Guys/Guys:

We are not on the same song sheet philosophically.

Whereas my criteria is HEAD shots and broad patterns, some seem to be stuck on body penetration.

I'm talking about close in desperation with the bear practically on top of you. ONLY a brain or spine shot will shut him/her down instantly. I'm speaking from experience when I say an animal that is FATALLY shot can motor on for 2-3-4 seconds and 75 yards easily before keeling over.

I'm stunned to read above that a bear was shot with 000 buck, 7 pellets were found in the head and it ran away !!!! 000 buck only has 10 pellets.

I have put down pigs on the farm with a .22 short, 6" from the skull, between the eyes. A .22 short has 830 feet per second velocity, 44 foot pounds of energy and weighs 29-30 grains.

000 Buck shot is .35 caliber, 70 grains, 1,225 feet per second and it has 10 pellets. That's more than plenty to bust a skull. From my own observations deer that are shot with buckshot, 40 - 60 yards, collapse instantly and bones are broken.

To answer the above question, the loss of velocity and energy of 000 pellets at 20 feet is miniscule.

Here;s an interesting video about buck shot and penetration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbFLY9OIqPA

I don't advocate a body shot on a bear with buck shot but I will say that such will be exceptionally devastating.

I'll add that I have shot animals with 12 gauge slugs at close range, 15 - 20 feet and they motored right past me for some distance before collapsing dead as a door nail. The slug passed through and came out the other side.

When you shoot your bear, charging you, in the chest or ribs, including the heart and lungs with a 30-06, 30-30 or .338 Winchester magnum you are already toast.

Here's more video about 00 and 000 buck shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiQu0VVI4bQ

If you leave the previous video on it will segue into this one. About 23 minutes.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 07/30/15.