I would only use a shotgun even with slugs with smallish bears. But then who knows what you are going to run into unless you have a situation like Klik where the bear keeps coming back. The fact that it did, tells you the bear is a problem bear that needs to be killed. I typically only see two kinds of folks who use shotguns for bears, government/police and novices (who have a "theory") who use slugs between buckshot and they are going to "blind the bear". That's like shooting to wound someone who is trying to kill you. Even Klik who has a ton of experience in the bush, went back and got a rifle with a heavy, penetrating bullet. I have no idea why someone who has access to a rifle would take a shotgun to perform the only duty. I will give an additional alternative, and Alaska has the highest percentage of these rifles that are produced than anywhere in the country. Marlin 1895/Guide gun 45/70 with heavy hard casts. You will see a lot of those in the bush and around Alaska and that is the rifle that people frequently have in the bush during the summer. Add an XO sight and it's a very quick rifle to come on target. Good luck with what ever you choose.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain