I don't think Buffalo Bores, Garretts and Dixie Terminators are common fodder in Canadian sporting goods stores at all. All I've ever seen for .45-70 is trapdoor loads or Lever-evolutions. If you lose your handloads, it seems like you are generally hooped.

In 12 gauge, Brennekes are scarce but Challengers are sometimes available. If even the Brennekes are hard to get, and even they don't outperform .30-06, then there isn't much to recommend the shotgun over the rifle performance-wise if the other loadings are unavailable.

On the other hand, I think that suitable Nosler Partition or bonded bullet (eg. Swift A-Frame) loadings of .30-06 SPRG /.338 WM /.375 H&H aren't hard to find. Appropriate .458 ammunition is usually not stocked, but some stores have it.

The butt-stock on the Guide Gun is mainly what I worry about. Also, jams (admittedly in a different Marlin lever) seemed pretty hard to clear sometimes. Break something and parts are week(s) away. Synthetic Marlin replacement stocks are unobtainium and the way the wood is bolted on doesn't fill me with confidence. Straight laminate stocks don't seem common. The straight grip thing is a bit of a mystery as an English-stocked double seems to fit just fine. Maybe it's the balance and the comb height. Don't get me wrong it wasn't terrible, but the 870 and M70 pointed much more naturally for me.

The 870/7600 stocks seem a little more rugged with the big bolt and no split at the tang, but they are a big notch below a McMillan on a Model 70 or a boat paddle on a Ruger. I suspect the same spill would break the stock on a Marlin, bend it at the tang on the 870/7600, and maybe scratch the McMillan on an M70. The bolt action seems much more rugged overall.

Klikitarik, this is the bolt action that succeeded the Marlin:

[Linked Image]

Ruger 77 Mk II in .338 WM with Ruger factory irons and NECG peep, McMillan classic stock. It also has the boat paddle stock. I thought it would be much easier to find appropriate 250 grain loads in stores than .45-70. These rifles have a reputation for rugged reliability in the Canadian North. I think the Model 70s are just as rugged. However, it's just over eight pounds with the 24" barrel, so that's why I started the thread about the .30-06.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 07/28/15.