Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Since this thread is a sticky in the Hunting Rifles Forum, I'd say keep it going to tell Ruger what we're looking for in a hunting rifle.

Ideas?

I'm all for a newer version of the 77/Hawkeye for hard use. Or a "premium" version of the RAR.

1. Twist and mag length set with handloaders in mind. Factory ammo users should not be affected. This would be my number one request.

2. Retain the proprietary rings, or go integrated rail. I'd prefer an integrated & extended 1913 with built-in incline but realize many would not take advantage of the incline. I'd still take a 0-degree extended rail that was machined or cast into the receiver. Extended rail would provide flexible scope mounting options but a closed top receiver could be an issue with top loading unless the port was sized properly.

3. Retain the one-piece bolt, or mechanically fixed handle but not brazed.

4. Fix the safety wing as mentioned earlier by extending the wing. The tang safety is fine for the RAR.

5. Consider shooter safety in the event of a blown primer or ruptured case. Vents, baffles, c-collar, etc. Perhaps just a better baffle at the rear of the 77 bolt? The current RAR seems pretty good as-is with fat bolt.

6. If allowed to nitpick, how about a fixed ejector if retaining CRF?

7. Design must have a robust bolt stop.

8. Keep the relatively open trigger which is easy to adjust. And make it compatible with the current Hawkeye so people can buy a Timney or other aftermarket trigger if they choose.

9. V-blocks would be fine. Floorplate with option for blind mag. But changes to the underside of the action would force aftermarket stock manufacturers to change their inlets. Not sure if this is a good idea. I really don't have a problem with a flat bottom receiver, angled screw, or 2-pc metal but I might be missing something.

10. I'd prefer a stock with stiff fore-end and floated barrel. And I have come to like the open grip on the Kimbers with overall ergos that are tough to beat in my opinion.

11. How about a little research/testing in terms of lock time? And I like the ability to quickly disassemble the bolt but this is not an absolute must.