Hazen,

First off, congrats on the new pup. Wishing the two of you the best of times together along with good luck in Idaho.

No, we were in the LP around Atlanta and while it is flat it certainly is thick. We had more than a little wind for all days but two and the Dogs would either flush or point birds and you couldn't hear them all that often. Many came out of your peripheral and were gone.

I did use the Model 12 16Ga on the Grouse, but the Ithaca 37 28Ga is so much quicker in the thick.

A little gear review. To the consternation of the Cabela's Mendel haters I picked up a pair of their Ultralight hunting boots. Wore them for 6 days straight and they may be the most comfortable upland/early season Deer boot I've ever had. Best buy a second pair before they are discontinued. As you know that country is wet and they sucked it up for the entire trip, but none made it inside.

[Linked Image]

Second would be a "Mud River" handlers bag. Guy I went with not only hunts but is a serious field trailer and had one. You can get a considerable amount of gear in this bag and it has a lot of side pockets. Nice to have and keep in the truck to keep a lot of things in one place. Right now it is filled with light rain gear, extra socks, electronic collars, 2 boxes of shells, extra shirt, alcohol wipes, extra gloves, flashlight, batteries and there is room for more along with empty pockets for more.

They make quality gear. I have one of their back seat blankets that hang from the headrests for the Dogs. It has taken a beating and is none the worse.

[Linked Image]

Had a coupon for the boots and they gave me another that I used on the bag.

Please keep us up to date on your hunts.

Last edited by battue; 10/18/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler