Originally Posted by battue
West of Pittsburgh in Murrysville and originally from the Kittanning area.

Yes after Ruffs. Their numbers around Kittanning-Armstrong Co-used to be considerable. 20-30 flushes per day were not uncommon. Unfortunately that is not the case these days. Best hunting is along the Northern tier

Battue, I was born in the country outside of Smithton-crick hills area. Married a Mt. Girl from Acme area and we moved to Champion for many moons. Then we moved upto our camp and made a go of it for a few years. Camp was in Potter county, so I know all about Northern tier grouse hunting. I miss my old covers in McKean county, Potter, Cameron, Elk and Tioga counties.

I'd pick my covers back there over Colebrook, NH., Rangeley Maine or Jackman Maine. I lived and worked in Maine for two years and patroled pipeline there as a pipeline technician into New Hampshire and Vermont. I was responsible for 328 miles of it. Mostly a 24 inch high pressure mainline, but had a smaller side shoot to the coast. Was an awesome job and I'm sure Jackman or Colebrook could be phenomenal, but I flushed the same amount of birds there as I did back home in Pa. Plus, the covers there can be difficult and this is coming from a guy who grew up hunting in multi flora rose alot. Wasn't jaggers, it's just so dense.

I do want to try Minnesota Atleast once in my life and I'm definitely going to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan before I kick the bucket.

Battue the Laurel Highlands used to be loaded with grouse as well. It dried up long ago. You can find a smattering here and there at best. It's depressing, but keep into the wind man and good luck

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"