I love wool over clothes having gotten into to them while bow hunting in the '80's. My greatest experience really is just with Filson and KOM wools though, two high dollar lines. I have a couple of observations: All the Filson I've had including two whipcord wool pants and a double Mac are of the highest quality and very tight weaves. This quality goes for their non wool products too some of which I also have. My whipcords are at least twenty years old and still hold a crease like a dress pant. If it weren't for the patches and sewing where I ripped them on scree or dead falls, I could wear them to church with a sport coat. Bob is right--you cannot kill these garments. The double Mac is tightly woven and heavy but stylish at the same time. But, for me, this coat is like putting on an oven; I found I could not wear it unless on some kind of stand in very cold weather; it is too warm for moving much but great for around town during a blizzard. IMO, their economy lies in the fact you will not wear these garments out. You can also wear them in an urban setting without looking "all Billy Joe Bubba."

KOM are at least theoretically washable though I shrank a shirt one whole size once in washing; they replaced it. You have to be very careful in washing. They, if they are even making them any more, are very expensive perhaps because of getting the camo patterns on the garments. But they are not as tight a weave as Filson's IMO but, again, mine are over twenty years old and still going.

Overall, I've come to the point in life where buying quality is the cheapest and wisest in the long run IMO. Though I've not tried many Pendleton, Woolrich, and Johnson and other brands extensively, I would look first to Filson for a wool outer garment for any outdoor endeavor.