Originally Posted by pointer
For mule deer and pronghorn, I'd probably pick the 243 Win out of the current Montana line up. Though the twist precludes some of the bullets I'd like to use, I think the 95gr BT and/or 90gr Scenar would be more than enough for either. Second choice would be a 308 to shoot the 125grAB or 130gr TTSX. Out to normal ranges I'd think it'd be a whole lot like a 130gr/270 load...

Might be able to find a used 84M cheap enough that having it rebarreled with a 243 or 260 with an 8" twist would be worth it. Would increase your bullet options.

I was surprised that no one had mentioned the 243 sooner. Personally, I've not been that interested in the cartridge, and having seen the 260 in action I probably never will. But with the right bullet construction, I don't see a whole lot of difference in the short action cartridges (243, 260, 7mm/08). At least until you get up in the 140gr and up bullet weights, which I feel un-necessary for the game mentioned.

If you are thinking that the 280ai is going to be too much in the recoil dept, is the 270 and 2506 really going to be that far behind?

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"