Originally Posted by 16bore
If you like to monkey with numbers, here's a few from a spreadsheet of about 125 loads (prospective, I don't own this much schit) that I've looked at over the years. Some like crossword puzzles, I like statistics.

Anyhoo....

Looking at BC and essentially MAX loads, you end up with the following median ranges of drift per "class" of BC. 500 yards, 10 MPH

.300 - .399 = 23"
.400 - .499 = 19"
.500 - .599 = 17"
.600 - .659 = 14"

I topped out at .659, but its as meaningful or meaningless as your ability to read wind. So 4 rifles with each class and we know the exact speed and direction, everyone hits. The difference though, would be the loss or gain in drift with uncertainty of speed and direction.

Summary: find a bullet suitable for the target you intend to engage and practice like hell.

Oops, dropped my pocket protector.....

I like to look at this stuff from a practical perspective as well. Here is an example.

15" vs 20" wind drift at 500 yards. (good performance vs decent)

That is 1.5" and 2.0" of drift per 1mph respectibly.
So assuming a 10" kill zone, one could miss judge the wind 3.3mph with the 15" drift and 2.5mph with the 20" and still be on target.

So that would give you 0.8mph more leeway in calling the wind.

Another way to look at it is if you miss the wind by 3mph the 15" would be 4.5" off and the 20" 6". so only 1.5" of difference in this scenario. But at that range. The little things do matter.

Last edited by Ozarker; 11/06/15.