The key to OP's question is whether or not he hand-loads. If not that limits the choices he may have in ammunition. Nearly all if the recommendations listed above will work nicely. Obviously, the wildcats would not be suitable. Personally, I prefer to hunt big game with bullets having a Sectional Density near or above the .250 level and a B C near or above .400. Speed kills but it is largely irrelevant in 99% of big game hunting applications. I started with the .270 and have taken more game with it than anything else but have used it much longer. I would vote along with the 7mm-08 group for the SA, lighter weight rifle but I prefer a wood stock although my safe is packed with a variety of synthetics going back to Lee Six and Chet Brown. I just LIKE nice wood. IMHO the 7mm-08 will deliver the goods on about 80% of all game on the planet within the normal hunting ranges that most of us are competent. It will also allow a very wide variety of bullet selections for the reloader and yet the common factory load at 140 grains will work for most game. I think our family is up to 6 assorted 7mm-08's and I have another one on my Santa list.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**