Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm looking at re-vamping my rifles - moving more towards portability and less recoil. I'm chewing on ideas for a portable flat shooting rifle. Recoil figures into the equation – I’m looking for reduced recoil. I must be getting old. The older I get the more I gravitate to lighter rifles that recoil less.

If someone was to pick from the Kimber Montana line-up and was looking for a flat shooter for mule deer and antelope, what would your pick be and why. I’d also like to know bullet choice.

Currently I’m leaning 270 or 25-06 shooting 130PT/140AB in the 270 or 110 AB/115 PT in the 25-06. I think the 280 AI is more recoil than I want in a 7lb rifle but I’m open to all suggestions.

I shot my first mule deer and antelope in WY in 1982 with a 270 and 130 Hornady. It worked as expected. I’ve shot several deer with a 25-06 and first gen TSX’s – and wasn’t impressed with the TSX on deer. I switched to Partitions in the rifle and it was a killer but the PT didn’t group near as well as the TSX’s. I have zero experience with the 25-06 out west and would like to hear comments by those that have. My concern with 25 cal bullets is that they aren't all that slippery plus at 25-06 vels bullet integrity needs to be there when they are fairly close.

Flat is fine. It does NOT solve wind drift..... rangefinders and knobs solve flat issues...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....