Originally Posted by bwinters
Is the throat geometry consistent with 3.33? Meaning can the bullets tough the L&G given the mag box length for your bullet of choice? I only see this as an issue if: A. your chosen bullet requires a COAL longer than 3.33 to reach L&G, B. it won't produce a load that will shoot to your satisfaction.

With longer, more pointier (tech term for low drag <G>) bullets, the ogive is farther back on the bullet and can result in a required COAL longer than the mag box allows. I think the Bergers fall into this category. I'd like to think the Kimber folks thought of this and made the mag box-throat relationship fit most bullets on the market. I'm looking at Nosler AB and Barnes LRX for bullets. I don't think either of those is excessively long compared to the entire array of 7mm bullets available. In the end, I wouldn't be too depressed if it only shot 150/160 Partitions either.

I don't have an answer for you. I haven't put together any loads for it yet, I was running low on time for a bear hunt so had to run factory fodder through my 270. It loved the Barnes Vortex stuff in 130 grain ttsx's, which was close to 3.25. Not a lot of room to spare. This is internet conjecture, for what that's worth, that I've read they have smaller mag confines to keep the action on the slim side for less weight and a longer barrel while keeping it balanced, and it is definitely that. I'm looking to head down the 6.5 or 6x47 when I burn through my 84m to take advantage of the smaller mag confines. Just a WAG, and maybe some can chime in, my guess is you'll have a tough time getting the Bergers to get the stars to align in the Kimber actions.

I understand your frustration, we still have no perfect factory rifle or scope design that will make all of us happy!