77/22s are my favorite, but are pricey these days. A trigger spring from Ernie the Gunsmith is a simple way to get the trigger down to a usable level without grinding anything, and for $7. The Timney works great, but does require some fitting and costs $45.

CZs are your best shot at gettng a shooter more or less out of the box at a reasonable price and are "nicer" than anything in the same price range. The trigger may take a little work and the safety's bass-ackwards, which got to be a PITA to me in the woods. Others don't care.

10/22s are great and can be tinkered with no end. I like the takedown model, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

There was an extended love-fest here about the Ruger Americans a while ago and folks seem to really like them. Very affordable and are supposed to be good shooters. If they ever offer it in stainless, I'll have to get one, just because.

Just looked on GB, and the TBolt walnut/blued guns look pretty nice, but a bit spendy. I also found a couple of blued/synthetic 77/22s for under $500. That's a deal.

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/14/15.

What fresh Hell is this?